Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers leaving 'donut' marks on the N17

Options
  • 26-04-2011 7:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed travelling from Limerick to Galway recently the very noticeable weaving 'S' rubber marks in the road followed by dozens of 'donut' ring tyre marks on the tarmac mostly between Gort and Galway city?

It's obvious that the 'boy racer' types are up to no good in the early hours.

I presume the people living adjacent to where these marks have been made must have been disrupted by it as I can imagine it must have involved quite a substantial amount of noise with tyre squeal, engines revving and tyre smoke etc etc.

There was even one on the Galway to Dublin motorway just a few miles from the Carnmore exit.

I expect these are being created in the early hours of the morning as otherwise they would be seen by other motorists and I expect the Guards would be called or notifief at least.

It is highly irresponsible and dangerous practice.

I've heard this is the latest game to see who can create the biggest mark etc. :rolleyes:

Has anyone seen these t**ssers in action or seen these marks I am describing?

I hope they are caught in the act sooner rather than later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Seen the marks alright, be a job to catch anyone doing it, by the time anyone would have called the guards and had them come out, they'd be long gone.

There's thousands of miles of road in Galway and trying to catch probably one shower of idiots doing something stupid on them for less than a minute in the dead of night would be difficult to say the least - although they'll probably be stupid enough to post it up on Youtube at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 elpistolero

• Registered Users Posts: 31,907 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah I've seen the marks too when out cycling. Bunch of idiots doing it...it's not going to end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

panama wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed travelling from Limerick to Galway recently the very noticeable weaving 'S' rubber marks in the road followed by dozens of 'donut' ring tyre marks on the tarmac mostly between Gort and Galway city?

I presume the people living adjacent to where these marks have been made must have been disrupted by it as I can imagine it must have involved quite a substantial amount of noise with tyre squeal, engines revving and tyre smoke etc etc.

There was even one on the Galway to Dublin motorway just a few miles from the Carnmore exit.

I expect these are being created in the early hours of the morning as otherwise they would be seen by other motorists and I expect the Guards would be called or notifief at least.

I've heard this is the latest game to see who can create the biggest mark etc. :rolleyes:

Sorry there is it not the N18 you're on about we tore it to bits over the weekend there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Whatever road people are doing it on they are idiots

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hanns.s

and then more of us get a fine and points for going a few miles over the limit - I know over the limit is over the limit and yards away at 2am, 3am, 4am you hear these fools out on the road been a hell of a lot more dangerous on the road and they get nothing! I don't know how many nights I have been woken by the fools and they get away with it, makes me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'd be more worried about speeders / tailgaters / people overtaking on a solid white line or on bends than young lads doing donuts in the middle of the night on empty roads to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The only consolation is that the donut making tosspots spend an extra couple of hundred euro per year getting new tyres (of if we're lucky have a blow out on their way home from donut making and wrap the car altogether).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hanns.s

Caliden wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about speeders / tailgaters / people overtaking on a solid white line or on bends than young lads doing donuts in the middle of the night on empty roads to be honest.

Point taken but on the road they have done these (the road beside where I saw them) is often used by walkers who don't wear hi-vis and think of 1am - 4 am when people maybe walking home from a few drinks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Caliden wrote: »

The main Galway to Limerick/Cork road can hardly be described as an 'empty' one can it? Especially nowadays when people are travelling further away from their homes for work.

And yes I meant the N18 alright. The tossers at this craic are also likely to be speeders and tailgaters etc, that may be a generalisation but it's my opinion from what I've seen around the county.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭galwegians

panama wrote: »

yep, seen the marks on the road today as you come into clarinbridge from kilcolgan,
    you are right a crowd of irresponsible tossers.
    have allso seen the marks on the motorway that you mention.
    lets just pray that nobody gets hurt by this antisocial behaviour.

Ah sure it's all part of growing up. Got chased by a garda for 45mins out those roads a few years ago. Most exciting day of my life. Lost them too and dont even drive a sports car. They got my reg though...

T2daK wrote: »
    Ah sure it's all part of growing up. Got chased by a garda for 45mins out those roads a few years ago. Most exciting day of my life. Lost them too and dont even drive a sports car. They got my reg though...

I have many words for the likes you...and they are not good.

It is not all part of growing up. In fact, what you were/are doing might mean the end of growing up and the end of a life for someone else.

Cop on would ya?

mars bar wrote: »
    I have many words for the likes you...and they are not good.

It is not all part of growing up. In fact, what you were/are doing might mean the end of growing up and the end of a life for someone else.

Cop on would ya?

I'm being honest, although I see your point.

I think there should be a rally track like the one in Tynagh closer to town where people can drive the crap out of their cars and get it out of their systems off the public roads. 30 euro for half hour?

They are doing it because they enjoy it, not to annoy people (although it obviously does).

I think there should be a rally track like the one in Tynagh closer to town where people can drive the crap out of their cars and get it out of their systems off the public roads. 30 euro for half hour?

They are doing it because they enjoy it, not to annoy people (although it obviously does).

Well, funny enough you should mention a racing track. My cousins are big into rallying and racing cars and one of them got as far as securing the insurance for a track he had planned and the people of the town near where it was going to be said no. This was in Galway County too.

You just can't win can ya?!

He thought getting the insurance would be the hardest part. It really was a brilliant business opportunity for him and some twonks managed to get the planning permission refused. Probably the same people who would be giving out about boy racers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

Going south out of Clarenbridge there is a huge tyre mark, which goes on for a few hundred yards. I suppose - whatever turns you on. I would hate to be coming the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

when was it ever that different ? young kids and fast cars out all night going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Going south out of Clarenbridge there is a huge tyre mark, which goes on for a few hundred yards. I suppose - whatever turns you on. I would hate to be coming the other way.

siezed brake on a lorry perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CraftDaft

not brakes seized! How naive!
    These tyre marks are everywhere. On the link road between loughrea and the M6 and on the M6 itself. Will more youngsters have to die before anyone notices of inforces the law.

thats why nothing ever gets off the ground in this country. The do gooders step in and those who actually want to do something good just end up giving up. A track would be an excellent idesa.
    On the other hand,( and i do like to throw the cat among the pigeons) if the roads can't be policed, will the race tracks. Peoples scepticism may be justified. I guess there are too sides to every story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They should do this, I'd say there would be allot of talented racers in Ireland if they had the facilities to practice and learn proper racing.

I've researched track days though and they're ridiculously expensive, around the €300 mark, even in the UK. The Nurburgring is about the cheapest place to go racing in Europe from what I can see.

Well, good for you! Getting chased by the Gards! What a Boy! What a Plonker!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Mondello do a half day track training day for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Exact same on the N84 Headford road. Numerous times the c*nts have woken me at 2-3 in the mornin as they have a particular spot they like to frequent near me.

They most love forkin out 200-300 euro on tyres every week! Tempted to start hurling stones through windows one of these days.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Mondello do a half day track training day for €50.
    Where did you get that price from? Is that with one of their cars? At that price I'd be up there once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You do it in your own car. This is from the website.

Car Track Days are one of Ireland’s best kept motoring secrets. A relatively small number of Ireland’s high performance and modified car drivers seem to be aware of the opportunities that exist at Mondello Park to enjoy driving their cars beyond the limits imposed on the public roads. Even for those that are aware of Car Track Days the idea of driving quickly on a circuit can look a little intimidating, but a new service being provided by Mondello Park aims to make circuit driving more accessible by educating drivers about track day's and helping them overcome their fears of the track.

Mondello Park's Car Track Day Training days provide drivers with a low cost opportunity to sample a car track day, without having to take to the circuit with more experienced drivers. Newcomers will be given classroom instruction regarding pre track day preparation, track behaviour, what to expect, how to get the best from a track day and the differences between road and circuit driving. Classrooms sessions will be followed by practical on-track instruction driving their own cars and the day will be completed by a twenty minute open track day session where they can put their new skills and knowledge to the test in a controlled and supervised environment.

Track Day Training days are priced extremely cheaply as their primary purpose is to encourage more drivers to take part in track days at Mondello Park. The course takes three hours to complete and morning and afternoon session will be available with both priced at €50.00 per driver. Prospective participants need to be at least eighteen years of age with a full driving license and must have their own car. For normal track days each driver is required to provide their own crash helmet but due to the introductory nature of the training days, Mondello Park will provide these free of charge for the day. Unlike a full Car Track Day passengers are not allowed and race cars of any type will not be permitted.

Car Track Day Training Format
    2 groups, one morning and one afternoon.
    Morning 10:00 – 13:00
    Afternoon 14:00 – 17:00
    Cost €50.00

Drivers must be 18 or over, with a full licence.
    Road cars only, no single seaters.
    No passengers allowed.

Morning Timetable
    10:00 Classroom instruction
    10:30 On track instruction
    11:00 Break
    11:15 Classroom instruction
    11:50 On track instruction
    12:30 Supervised free track time
    12:50 Debrief

Afternoon Timetable
    14:00 Classroom instruction
    14:30 On track instruction
    15:00 Break
    15:15 Classroom instruction
    15:50 On track instruction
    16:30 Supervised free track time
    16:50 Debrief

Looks like a good day, no sign of when the next one is. The normal track day prices aren't to bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

well i see these tyre marks all over the place and tbh i prefer to see these than a civic wrapped around a tree, if a donut goes wrong the driver and passengers wont die but if a civic and a sierra are racing 100mph plus on n17/18 which is common death is inevitable, more tracks should be made availanle but you will always have c##ts that will object

lezza wrote: »
    well i see these tyre marks all over the place and tbh i prefer to see these than a civic wrapped around a tree, if a donut goes wrong the driver and passengers wont die but if a civic and a sierra are racing 100mph plus on n17/18 which is common death is inevitable, more tracks should be made availanle but you will always have c##ts that will object

in case you think I support people who speed I am very strongly against that. Just referring to doughnuts etc.

Totally agree

• Advertisement

There are people around Galway that just hate to see people enjoying themselves I'm sure of that.

Still though doing these things on a public road isn't ideal, the only thing I could see going wrong is that they lose a tyre, maybe damage a sign and the road if they try to drive home with a busted tyre.

Advertisement