Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers leaving 'donut' marks on the N17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I don't mind them doing it really. It's when I'm woken at 3 in the morning to the sound of screeching tyres that I get a bit annoyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

ScumLord wrote: »
    Still though doing these things on a public road isn't ideal, the only thing I could see going wrong is that they lose a tyre, maybe damage a sign and the road if they try to drive home with a busted tyre.

:rolleyes:

OR spinning out of control and smashing into a wall/tree/oncoming car/passing pedestrian/nearby livestock/housing etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

panama wrote: »

OR spinning out of control and smashing into a wall/tree/oncoming car/passing pedestrian/nearby livestock/housing etc etc etc.

:rolleyes:no matter how careless you are if you do a donut you will not do damage to this extent!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's been happening at night so I assume the main reason for doing it at night is secrecy so the likelihood of cars and people being around would be small. I don't know how livestock could get involved?

Any damage they cause would be minor enough but I don't see them sticking around should they damage someone's wall which could cost a fair bit to repair.

I don't think what they're doing is that dangerous but I don't think safety would be a major concern to those doing it so there's always the great potential for something to go wrong.

Treating public main roads like they're private racetracks simply cannot be condoned and if reckless acts like these are condoned it only encourages further idiocy, it's simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Id like to point out that after running one of Irelands largest modfied car forums for 4 years not one person has died or actually caused an accident doing donuts.

Now I dont condone it either just so you know, but those actually doing it have tremendus skill, in fact a high up traffic corps garda in Limerick once used that term to describe them.

It doesnt make it right, but those of you going on about it will cause an accident etc are just plain wrong.

And dont say it will happen eventually because it wont.. ive known people in the modified car world for over 10 years and this has been going on that long and none of them have been killed either. I know exactly how they go about it and its in a thought out manner.

Again it doesnt make it right...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

some have great skill maybe but you would have to practice to be good and the roads aint the place for that.good to hear you know of nobody that has died or caused an accident from doing donuts,must be from doing it on quiet roads.

morcheen k wrote: »
    some have great skill maybe but you would have to practice to be good and the roads aint the place for that.good to hear you know of nobody that has died or caused an accident from doing donuts,must be from doing it on quiet roads.

While I know it looks crazy, there is more danger in FWD cars with younger lads. They do be into racing etc, blow outs etc can happen at high speed.

At least with a RWD car doing donuts your only travelling around 15km an hour in a circle.

cronin_j wrote: »

It doesnt make it right, but those of you going on about it will cause an accident etc are just plain wrong.

You can't advocate people acting recklessly on public roads, end of story, weaving across lanes on major routes like the N18 and doing 'burnouts' (or whatever it's called) is not a safe practice is it? If one of these gob****es is busy making his donut marks and a car comes in either direction at high speed etc, imagine the possible consequences, it is an incredibly dangerous practice on a public highway.

I have no problem with anyone playing with their cars on their own property or on racetracks/properly stewarded areas etc.

The reason for the thread was that this has been going on outside peoples houses on one of the busiest roads in the country and it is wrong, dangerous and needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If this car coming a high speed didn't see another car in the middle of the road doing donuts I would be quite worried.

Any tyre marks I've seen have been on straight stretches of road with good visibility in either direction, unless of course you have evidence to contradict that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Now I dont condone it either just so you know, but those actually doing it have tremendus skill, in fact a high up traffic corps garda in Limerick once used that term to describe them.

[/B]

lol! my hoop!

anyone with a RWD and any common sense can pull off a burnout.

The vast majority dont, why? cause they dont have the 1000's of euro to buy new tyres every year and new clutches unless daddy has deep pockets!

each to there own tho, if you wanna waste money on little **** boxes then work away.

tbh Your high horse post echos the attitude of most boy racers, that ye are somehow skilled drivers better then ordinary folk, lol!

Caliden wrote: »
    If this car coming a high speed didn't see another car in the middle of the road doing donuts I would be quite worried.

Any tyre marks I've seen have been on straight stretches of road with good visibility in either direction, unless of course you have evidence to contradict that.

Are you trying to defend their actions?
    Regardless, the fact of the matter is, nobody should have to come across
    a car doing donuts or weaving across lanes making 'S' shapes as can be seen every few miles along the n18 currently between Gort town and Galway city and I'm sure in other places aswell.

And as regards your last paragraph, the nearest one to me, where I first noticed them a few weeks back is at the bottom of hill or incline in the road, where if you are where the skidding donut trye marks are which is also adjacent a busy junction, you cannot see over the brow of the hill, and there is a continuous white line for that reason to prevent overtaking on that stretch of road, a car travelling at speed coming from the opposite direction and down the hill would only have a very short stopping distance if they came upon a car in the middle of the road.

And I feel particularly sorry for the people living next to where these cars have been up to those antics, considering the racket they must have made in the middle of the night.

skelliser wrote: »
    lol! my hoop!

The vast majority dont, why? cause they dont have the 1000's of euro to buy new tyres every year and new clutches unless daddy has deep pockets!

each to there own tho, if you wanna waste money on little **** boxes then work away.

tbh Your high horse post echos the attitude of most boy racers, that ye are somehow skilled drivers better then ordinary folk, lol!

Who said anything about a burnout?

Im not a boyracer, I dont even own a RWD car, your sorely mistaken if you think its little **** boxes that daddys money bought are doing it by the way.

And I feel particularly sorry for the people living next to where these cars have been up to those antics, considering the racket they must have made in the middle of the night.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

lol! my hoop!

The irony of you call croninj's post high horse when you are doing the exact same. Ring Joe Duffy and tell him your shít because no one here wants to hear it.

Quazzie wrote: »
    The irony of you call croninj's post high horse when you are doing the exact same. Ring Joe Duffy and tell him your shít because no one here wants to hear it.

croninj has come on here to try and defend these tossers by saying they have tremendous skill and that no one can be injured from one!!

i beg to differ!

The gort - galway road is imo one of the most dangerous roads in the country besides having to deal with these idiots.

The section coming into kilcolgan from the gort side being particularly bad. Many people have died on that stretch and there are loads of donuts and burnout marks on there which only appeared in the last 2/3 weeks.

Id like to point out that after running one of Irelands largest modfied car forums for 4 years not one person has died or actually caused an accident doing donuts.

And dont say it will happen eventually because it wont.. ive known people in the modified car world for over 10 years and this has been going on that long and none of them have been killed either. I know exactly how they go about it and its in a thought out manner.

Again it doesnt make it right...
    croninj has come on here to try and defend these tossers by saying they have tremendous skill and that no one can be injured from one!!

i beg to differ!

The gort - galway road is imo one of the most dangerous roads in the country besides having to deal with these idiots.

The section coming into kilcolgan from the gort side being particularly bad. Many people have died on that stretch and there are loads of donuts and burnout marks on there which only appeared in the last 2/3 weeks.

Convenient the way you totally skipped the parts in Bold when reading croninj's post. Its in Bold. He done it that way on purpose because its harder to ignore it that way, but there's always one. He made a valid point stating that it takes skill and a certain caliber of car to perform these maneuverers. And he said he never said that no one can be injured from this, just that he never heard in his years of experience of anyone being injured. Nice of you to twist his words to fit your anti-boy racer agenda.

FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

As previously pointed out, read his full post.
    i beg to differ!

If you beg to differ, please provide us with a case where someone has injured themselves on Irish roads by doing donuts?

How is it dangerous? Is the tarmac particularly toxic, or are their wild lions on the side of the road? How is it dangerous?

The only thing that makes a road dangerous are the motorists who use it. That includes the 75 year old driving the Micra at 40kmph with absolutely no sense of whats going on around him/her. Not only the boyracer.

Above you mention that many people have lost their lives on this stretch. How were those accidents caused? I'd be willing to bet that speed was a much bigger factor than people doing donuts.

as i said already we have enough problems with speed and idiot drivers and now this in the mix.

are you saying that donuts and burnouts are fine on the public roads?

just because he reckons no one has been injured from them doesnt make it ok nor does it mean no one in the future will be injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Caliden wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about speeders / tailgaters / people overtaking on a solid white line or on bends than young lads doing donuts in the middle of the night on empty roads to be honest.

What makes you think there arent people who do both?

as i said already we have enough problems with speed and idiot drivers and now this in the mix.
    that's a bit OTT, it's not like people are racing in between the people doing burnouts during rush hour.

• Advertisement

Think it's time for the mods to call a halt here as people are getting into personal forum battles now trying to gain the moral high ground on different matters.

I started the thread to highlight this dangerous practice after witnessing these marks everywhere (even on the Galway to dublin motorway!).

This wreckless carry on by these idiots cannot be justified regardless of your view on 'boy racers' or modified cars or whatever, the simple fact of the matter is, people treating busy public main roads like a playground is a recipe for disaster and the Gardai need to catch these people in the act and bring a halt to it before someone is injured because of their stupidity and disregard for the law and for disrupting peoples peace and quiet at god knows what time of the morning they're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

in all seriousness, if a driver of any car things it's acceptable to"pull a doughnut", or perform handball turns on a public road, of any type or condition, at any time of day or night, then they are not fit to hold a license and should not be on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

kippy wrote: »
    What makes you think there arent people who do both?

I never said anything remotely like that? :confused:

Think it's time for the mods to call a halt here as people are getting into personal forum battles now trying to gain the moral high ground on different matters.

I started the thread to highlight this dangerous practice after witnessing these marks everywhere (even on the Galway to dublin motorway!).

This wreckless carry on by these idiots cannot be justified regardless of your view on 'boy racers' or modified cars or whatever, the simple fact of the matter is, people treating busy public main roads like a playground is a recipe for disaster and the Gardai need to catch these people in the act and bring a halt to it before someone is injured because of their stupidity and disregard for the law and for disrupting peoples peace and quiet at god knows what time of the morning they're at it.
    I don't see anything getting personal. Some people just don't feel it's nearly as dangerous as others' like to think it is.

It shouldn't be happening but on the grand scale of road dangers it's not high ranking due to the speeds involved and the fact there's likely to be no one else around when they're doing it.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see anything getting personal.

Really?
    Ring Joe Duffy and tell him your shít because no one here wants to hear it.

As I said it's run its course. As for the remainder of your post we'll have to agree to disagree as I believe and as we've seen from this thread the majority of other feel similiarly that is is indeed dangerous and in regard to speed if you travel this route you'll see the zigzag marks going across both lanes before the ring marks, do you believe the prats doing this are toddling along at 100kmh before they do this and do you think they have any regard for other road users or the people living in the houses adjacent to these activities?
    It doesn't make any difference if they do it at low speeds, if they are spinning their cars around in the middle of a very busy road which has vehicles travelling on it 24 hours a day that is both illegal and highly dangerous and if I happen to have the misfortune to come across one of them I'll take their registration numbber and be contacting the Gardai immediately before a serious accident is caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

This is going on for years, Its hardly a new craze that started last month. It's done at night time when there is no other traffic around.I have heard of some people actually videoing them to report them to the gardai.

Really?
    If you feel it is a personal attack then report the post. I'll take whatever punishment is dealt to me if the mods agree with you.
    As I said it's run its course. As for the remainder of your post we'll have to agree to disagree as I believe and as we've seen from this thread the majority of other feel similiarly that is is indeed dangerous and in regard to speed if you travel this route you'll see the zigzag marks going across both lanes before the ring marks, do you believe the prats doing this are toddling along at 100kmh before they do this and do you think they have any regard for other road users or the people living in the houses adjacent to these activities?
    It doesn't make any difference if they do it at low speeds, if they are spinning their cars around in the middle of a very busy road which has vehicles travelling on it 24 hours a day that is both illegal and highly dangerous and if I happen to have the misfortune to come across one of them I'll take their registration numbber and be contacting the Gardai immediately before a serious accident is caused.
    The reason the "zig-zag" marks are there is because they aren't going fast. The wheels are spinning at a much faster rate than the car is moving and thats why the marks are there. The reason the cross is the lanes is because the driver is attempting to swing the arse of the car out and get the car going sideways. Again this is all done at relatively low speeds by relatively highpowered RWD cars.

I agree though about waking up neighbours at night. They should be more considerate of that.

if you travel this route you'll see the zigzag marks going across both lanes before the ring marks, do you believe the prats doing this are toddling along at 100kmh
    They wouldn't even come anywhere close to that speed. I'd love to hear you describe what you think is happening because I'm beginning to think you guess is way off reality.

The cars aren't doing anything above 30 - 50klm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

have you ever seen a modified car doing donuts ? There is no speed involved.

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    have you ever seen a modified car doing donuts ? There is no speed involved.

I couldn't care less about how it's done. I wasn't suggesting it was done at 100 mph for gods sake. I do understand how it's carried out! :rolleyes: Talk about missing the point.

It's reckless behaviour on busy public roads, even if it's the middle of the night, there is rarely a time of day nowadays when there isn't traffic on routes like the N18.

Talk about missing the point.

Are any of you replying actually condoning this kind of activity? :confused:
    They should be more considerate of that.

Yeah they should be more considerate by not even attempting it in the first place and carrying out their childish antics somewhere private and where they don't run the risk of creating accidents or disrupting the peace.

Advertisement