Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers leaving 'donut' marks on the N17

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

panama wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about how it's done. I wasn't suggesting it was done at 100 mph for gods sake. I do understand how it's carried out! :rolleyes: Talk about missing the point.

It's reckless behaviour on busy public roads, even if it's the middle of the night, there is rarely a time of day nowadays when there isn't traffic on routes like the N18.

Talk about missing the point.

Are any of you replying actually condoning this kind of activity? :confused:

I'm not missing the point at all. have you ever broken the speed limit ? can you say you are perfect.

you could say someone doing a U turn is reckless behaviour.

I'm not condoning it but it is not as bad as you are making it out to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm not missing the point at all. have you ever broken the speed limit ? can you say you are perfect.

you could say someone doing a U turn is reckless behaviour.

I'm not condoning it but it is not as bad as you are making it out to be.

How is what I have done personally anyways relevant?

I didn't set a bar or make comparisons with other types of road behaviour
    or driving risks etc.

I am solely talking about these prats who are waking people in the middle of the night doing this on main roads all over the county who obviously don't realise the risks of their behaviour and who have blatant disregard for other road users who could and I'm sure have come upon them spinning around across two lanes on the main road.

Ridiculous carry on, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I couldn't care less about how it's done. I wasn't suggesting it was done at 100 mph for gods sake.
    Um... Ya you did.
    It's reckless behaviour on busy public roads, even if it's the middle of the night, there is rarely a time of day nowadays when there isn't traffic on routes like the N18.

Talk about missing the point.

Are any of you replying actually condoning this kind of activity? :confused:
    No time and time again we've said it's not a good idea but your making it out to be much worse than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

hanns.s wrote: »
    Point taken but on the road they have done these (the road beside where I saw them) is often used by walkers who don't wear hi-vis and think of 1am - 4 am when people maybe walking home from a few drinks!

Anyone out doughnutting is obviously going to check the road is clear beforehand and anyone walking on the road in the middle of night would need to be blind and deaf to walk into a few cars and get hit, you would see them from 100's of yards away, few drinks or not :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

ScumLord wrote: »
    Um... Ya you did..
    Really?
    do you believe the prats doing this are toddling along at 100kmh before they do this...

I didn't in fact, in the quote above I meant that they are probably driving around at stupid speeds beforehand aswell, as these boy racer types like to do as many of them seem to think they're above the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I use the Gort to Galway road every morning going to work and I see the marks. Obviously theese people are doing it when nobody is using the road and its a clear road so as far as Im concerned work away lads couldnt care less. What I do care about is the knob who goes to great lengths accelerating out onto the oncoming traffic in his navy astra and then slowing to a crawl until his turnoff in Oranmore. I know which one is more dangerous and its not the boy racers!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

I didn't in fact, in the quote above I meant that they are probably driving around at stupid speeds beforehand aswell, as these boy racer types like to do as many of them seem to think they're above the law.

probably.....what??? this is not a definate term which deems your reply void imo....

probably driving around at stupid speeds
    or
    probably shooting cocaine before they leave the pub with a boot full of prostitutes

YOU CANT GO MAKING ASSUMPTIONS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

bertsmom wrote: »
    I use the Gort to Galway road every morning going to work and I see the marks. Obviously theese people are doing it when nobody is using the road and its a clear road so as far as Im concerned work away lads couldnt care less. What I do care about is the knob who goes to great lengths accelerating out onto the oncoming traffic in his navy astra and then slowing to a crawl until his turnoff in Oranmore. I know which one is more dangerous and its not the boy racers!
    You don't set the legislation so you don't really have the decision in the matter. The law dictates that both situations are dangerous/illegal, just because one of them doesn't affect you now doesn't mean it never will.

You have a different opinion to other people, this is why we have defined legislation, Paedophiles actually think there is nothing wrong with having sex with a child luckily legislation dictates otherwise

Headthewall I,m not sure what planet your on, sex crimes against children and road traffic offences have absolutley no link. What are you on about? Why would you even bring that into the thread?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

I also tend to lump together anyone who drives "for fun" rather than to get from A-B. And I would usually plaster them all with the same label "dangerous/disrespectful drivers".

This thread has made interesting reading - or did for a while anyway. I would still prefer people didn't show off on public roads, whatever time of night, but will try and be a bit more open minded in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

i think we need pictures :) the swirlier the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

bertsmom wrote: »
    Headthewall I,m not sure what planet your on, sex crimes against children and road traffic offences have absolutley no link. What are you on about? Why would you even bring that into the thread?:confused:
    The connection is that laws are there for a reason. You think it's okay for people to do this, other people think it's not okay; the answer is contained in legislation and you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

I like my doughnuts with glaze and sprinkles.

Okay headthewall I'm going to bow out of the thread now, I'm at a loss as to what our on about :confused:
    I simply made a comment regarding MY feelings on theese marks which is they dont matter a damn to me as I'm more fed up with other types of road traffic offences and you start quoting my comment and going on about peadophilles and legistation!:rolleyes:
    You seem to want to prove that my thoughts are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so I'll leave you to it. If it matters that much to you being right good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

Anyone that breaks the speed limits on irish roads is a hazard and a risk on the roads and we've all done it. doing 120 km/h in a 100km/h zone, has the same effect as donuts and guess what its not just boyracers speeding you know, in fact I have actually seen more new bmw's, mercs, SUV's speeding than modified cars...so if you wanted to get into it all and the acts of people on the public roads...dont just stop with boyracers. I would hazard a guess that all of us have broken the speed limit now and again, therefore we all have been hazards.

My opinion from a non boyracer who drives a non modified 1 litre micra (before any of ye go thinking and making generalisations that I am, cause im slightly defending them...even though I haven't defended the act of donuts one bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

RichCRX wrote: »
    Anyone that breaks the speed limits on irish roads is a hazard and a risk on the roads
    I don't see how, the speed limit is an arbitrary number taken from years ago. I don't see how someone doing 105klm is automatically more dangerous than someone doing 99klm.

It's all down to drivers awareness, our cars are over engineered for the needs of the average driver, most people normally don't go anywhere near the limits of the car and most people haven't a clue where those limits are.

Advertisement