Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate Universe S02E18 Epilogue **Spoilers**

Options
  • 26-04-2011 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

STARGATE_UNIVERSE_Epilogue_Season_2_Episode_18_3_550x365.jpg

Summary: The Destiny crew attempt to aid the civilization inhabiting a planet on the brink of destruction due to seismic activity.

much of the same as last week...not as good imo, just finding out how they survived on Novus after coming through

What did you think? 43 votes

Shockproof!
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    37% 16 votes
    Meh
    37% 16 votes
    Bad
    25% 11 votes
    Wish the black hole sucked them in...
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

There was so much potential for this episode and they blew it. While it was nice to see how their other selves developed, they could have done so much more. Why is it that every time they find something useful they're always up against the clock?
    The planet was in a bad way for years and just happened to fall apart when they arrived.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Why can't the Destiny go to the generation ships?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I liked this episode a lot (as I did the last one), seems to be a fitting end to the series seeing how the characters (could) grow old post Destiny.

I'd like to see them catch up with the ships that left Novis though, and somehow help them get to their new planet quicker. Even though they don't have any actual responsibility for them, the fact that they are their (possible) descendents would make me want to help them at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Sarn wrote: »
    There was so much potential for this episode and they blew it. While it was nice to see how their other selves developed, they could have done so much more. Why is it that every time they find something useful they're always up against the clock?
    The planet was in a bad way for years and just happened to fall apart when they arrived.
    :rolleyes:
    The same can be said about Atlantis, They arrived and started using power, Thus atlantis shields were going to fail.

In this scenario, They were getting there power from the solar and Geothermal energy, This would have easily caused the accelerated disaster and the earthquakes(Infact that happened in Atlantis aswell, Episode 2x19 if i can recall correct)

As for the episode, I rather enjoyed in myself, It was pretty cool to see what could have happened to them. Really looking forward to the rest of the season, Which on its own makes no sense since the show is canceled, Still excited none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thought it was good. Yeah, thought the timing of their arrival was a bit of a poor plot device. The only thing I didn't like really though was
    The aging makeup. I ALWAYS hate that. It never looks good and always looks a bit silly IMHO.

Just a couple of episodes left and no conclusion. What a p1sser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I liked this episode the gf balled her eyes our during parts of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Thor wrote: »
    The same can be said about Atlantis, They arrived and started using power, Thus atlantis shields were going to fail.

In this scenario, They were getting there power from the solar and Geothermal energy, This would have easily caused the accelerated disaster and the earthquakes(Infact that happened in Atlantis aswell, Episode 2x19 if i can recall correct)

Thats not how geothermal power works at all. In atlantis case the power for shields and life support was one big pool of finite energy to using one drained the other. Specifically what caused the shields to be weakened was the critically low level of power in the entire pool already. Just because they entered the bunker doesnt mean the geothermal core of the planet had to somehow pull power away from keeping the crust together??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i thought it was the impending black hole that was tearing the planet apart, not their power sources...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Speaking of the black hole - why didnt destiny warn the crew about it as soon as they entered the system? Surely something like that, which already has the power to start ripping a planet apart, would set alarm bells ringing and clearly it could be detected since the tech on the planet could detect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

whiteman19 wrote: »
    i thought it was the impending black hole that was tearing the planet apart, not their power sources...

Exactly and for who brought up the original point that it was very very very coincidental that the particular city they landed on gave way within days of them landing on it is very shoddy writing. I mean the scale that a black hole works on and planetary destruction typically works on are timed in millennium so the chances of this happening just as they get there is something a leap of the imagination just cant cover.

Boring ep in my opinion, the whole story felt like it could have been a sub plot of a two plot episode. Some scenes were nice and emotional but thats it. Thought Rush had found something that was going to really be exciting.... he found a bloody air filter..... great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Ho hum... only two more episodes to go and there drone ship episodes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

The last 2 have been up there with my fave SG eps.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

I just told myself that it was the main gun firing on the bunker that made it start to fall apart as soon as they landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

TheKells wrote: »
    I just told myself that it was the main gun firing on the bunker that made it start to fall apart as soon as they landed.
    me too

I liked the episode a lot. but why couldnt they go somewhere else on the planet? there had to be more cities, towns bases.. maul the whole place for supplies. the whole planet didnt fail all at once surely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

hightower1 wrote: »
    Thats not how geothermal power works at all. In atlantis case the power for shields and life support was one big pool of finite energy to using one drained the other. Specifically what caused the shields to be weakened was the critically low level of power in the entire pool already. Just because they entered the bunker doesnt mean the geothermal core of the planet had to somehow pull power away from keeping the crust together??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They left the planet because it got so bad, Then left in ships. Makes me think its possible.

I wasn't saying thats exactly what happened i was merely saying it could be explained by them using if for power.

Who knows really!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed this episode as we got to see how their lives did progress under different circumstances (I'm happy it's not just a "what if" but actually happened). Some of the montages were done well.

Also Old Man Brody, giving out about the kids on his lawn, was all sorts of brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Thing I didn't understand was why they had to stay there to continue the upload? Why not just leave the computer running while they went back to the ship?

There's lots of wee stupid things like that through this show, like when they quarantined Ginn and Perry, why not just take them outta quarantine later?

Also if the black hole was close enough to destroy the planet how come there was no mention of it affecting time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

ixoy wrote: »
    Also Old Man Brody, giving out about the kids on his lawn, was all sorts of brilliant.

+1
    A total PMSL moment. It was the kids that made him go off and form Shelbyville / Futura :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

its annoying me more now that the show is cancelled they were just starting to get it right, balancing the moods, and finally introducing a race that they can communicate with, albeit there decendants,

i wonder if theyll search out the ship during transport, or will they go staright for the planet, surely they can bring the ship with them through FTL somehow,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I liked this episode the gf balled her eyes our during parts of it!

Agreed, powerful, heartfelt and emotional....i welled up in spots. Very good ep. that made me :(
    Btw, did you hug her or tell her to get a grip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Surely with all the geniuses and super computers on the planet and destiny they could have worked out where the ships were on the way to the new planet. If they left decades ago it should be easy enough to figure how far is too far for them to have gotten and work back.

Also as a side note i just realised that as advanced as the ancients were they made really crappy camcorders. The kino footage always looks brown, dodgy picture, flickers a lot and black around the edges. Not exactly HD quality! The only thing its got going for it is that it can fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

hightower1 wrote: »
    Exactly and for who brought up the original point that it was very very very coincidental that the particular city they landed on gave way within days of them landing on it is very shoddy writing. I mean the scale that a black hole works on and planetary destruction typically works on are timed in millennium so the chances of this happening just as they get there is something a leap of the imagination just cant cover.
    well it had been happening for decades before with the Novus stargate being buried, so it's not htat much of a stretch
    Surely with all the geniuses and super computers on the planet and destiny they could have worked out where the ships were on the way to the new planet. If they left decades ago it should be easy enough to figure how far is too far for them to have gotten and work back.

Also as a side note i just realised that as advanced as the ancients were they made really crappy camcorders. The kino footage always looks brown, dodgy picture, flickers a lot and black around the edges. Not exactly HD quality! The only thing its got going for it is that it can fly.
    but how do you know what speed they're going, and what path they took? mightn't be a straight line for all we know.

as for the kinos, try being a million years old and still able to work :P

as for the kinos, try being a million years old and still able to work :P

The Stargates work just fine and they're millions of years old! The ancients built things that lasted, just werent interested in photography and cameras and settled for bog standard quality!

how do you know what speed they're going, and what path they took? mightn't be a straight line for all we know.

they only left a few decades ago at sub-light speed and they know their destination, they couldnt have gotten that far. Hell id nearly be able to find them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

they only left a few decades ago at sub-light speed and they know their destination, they couldnt have gotten that far. Hell id nearly be able to find them!
    Atlantis spoilers below:
    But isn't it kind of like when Atlantis was lost in space when they launched it from its planet... The Daedalus, was it? couldn't find atlantis in-between the vast amounts of space between the planets, couple that with the fact that destiny can only jump every so often(so if they miscalculate they are kinda stuck in the middle of nowhere for a while), it shows that it might be just too hard to find them.

I'm not gonna speculate too much more on the last episodes because all the unanswered stuff will just annoy me :p

I cant fully remember the details of that atlantis episode but did Daedalus know where atlantis was going?

Wasnt there numerous ships sent from nuvos and they didnt all leave at the same time so there would be a few ships scattered along the path. It would take Destiny 10 days to reach the new planet with FTL, the descendants ships with sub-light couldn't have covered more then 2 days of that. Destiny just needs to jump a little, scan around, let the FTL engines recover, jump again and theres a chance they might run into one of them. A few weeks of that should be enough time to search the required distance and with a civilisation and TJ's life at stake it's surely worth it.

But anyway its starting to annoy me now too. Moving on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

quite happy with the outcome of TJ and young i have to say

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Actually beginning to be annoyed by the cancellation now considering the last few eps have been top notch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

mawk wrote: »
    me too

I liked the episode a lot. but why couldnt they go somewhere else on the planet? there had to be more cities, towns bases.. maul the whole place for supplies. the whole planet didnt fail all at once surely

That's what I was thinking...I mean i'm sure there was another computer out there with ALS cure on it..don't some kind of Novus-pedia on the planet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Last two episodes have been really good.
    Given that most Sci-Fi plot lines are reused constantly these days in different forms, is this an original idea?
    I don't remember this story from anywhere else.

Also, the planet collapse thing was pretty damn stupid for sure.

Advertisement