Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I NEED GRAMMER HELP

• 26-04-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

If someone writes "To be given to Clodagh or me" is that correct or should it be "To be given to Clodagh or I" or " To be given to Clodagh or to me" If neither are correct please tell which one is correct. Also could you tell me thr reason for your answer much appreciated :)

Comments

If someone writes "To be given to Clodagh or me" is that correct or should it be "To be given to Clodagh or I" or " To be given to Clodagh or to me" If neither are correct please tell which one is correct. Also could you tell me thr reason for your answer much appreciated :)

If you replace Clodagh with "her", you'll see you're asking "her or I" or "her or me". They always have to be both nominative or both objective (I think?), so that puts it as "her or me".
    Easier way to quickly check is to remove Clodagh and ask "to be given to I" or "to be given to me"? That way you can see the latter is correct.

p.s. it's grammar, not grammer
    pps this should help! http://languageandgrammar.com/2008/11/09/is-it-him-and-i-or-him-and-me/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

bluewolf wrote: »
    If you replace Clodagh with "her", you'll see you're asking "her or I" or "her or me". They always have to be both nominative or both objective (I think?), so that puts it as "her or me".
    Easier way to quickly check is to remove Clodagh and ask "to be given to I" or "to be given to me"? That way you can see the latter is correct.

p.s. it's grammar, not grammer
    pps this should help! http://languageandgrammar.com/2008/11/09/is-it-him-and-i-or-him-and-me/

Thanks very much for the help. Im in 5th year in school and english is not my best subject. Mainly I dislike poetry reason being I dont understand it like other people do, if you have any hints they would be very usefull. Btw thanks for the correction wouldnt want to be making that mistake haha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved to Soc>Languages>English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not everyone understands poetry (:D not even the poets quite a lot of the time) and some people will understand some poetry and not others.

You are obviously interested enough to care, and there are no short cuts to understanding poetry but here are a couple of thoughts.

First, read the poem and see does the sound of it or the rhythm seem appealing to you. Does it conjure up any pictures in your mind. Don't worry about whether its the same pictures the poet might have had, just try and see if it has any meaning for you.

See if any few words together sound 'right', try and figure out why they sound right.

Choose just one verse and read it slowly, concentrate on trying to see what it is saying, does it create any emotion in you - happiness, sadness, anger, etc.

Read up notes on the poem and try to understand them. Use them as clues to try and understand the rest of the poem. Check up the meanings of words that you are not sure of.

Don't expect all poetry to have profound meanings for you, sometimes all you can do is study the notes, but sometimes you will find one that makes you think and want to understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

SellingJuan, if you are a Rastafarian then "Clodagh or I" is acceptable, otherwise it sound most odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Me is the personal pronoun used in place of the noun that is an object to a verb. I is the personal pronoun used in place of the noun that is a subject to a verb.

For example:

Clodagh or I will talk to Mark tomorrow. - In this case "I" is the subject of the verb. You are the one who is talking to Mark.

Mark or Clodagh will talk to me tomorrow - In this case "me" is the object of the verb. Mark or Clodagh will talk to you.

There shouldn't be much ambiguity. In your sentence you are the object of the verb "to give" therefore the correct personal pronoun to use would be "me".

Advertisement