Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plaster & Paint Garden Wall

• 26-04-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Guys,

I'm completly s**t at DIY but I'm having the garden done in the next couple of weeks (got a fantastic price for deck & patio).

The only thing that is bothering me is the walls. Grey block walls, ugh. I would love to plaster over them & paint them. To keep costs down, I'd love to do it myself. I'm thinking about this Ready to Roll plaster stuff but not sure how well it works on exterior walls, if at all.

I would like any advice on what I could do. I would not need it to be perfect, hence DIY!!! I would just like to know if this plaster suff really works or is it a pile of s**te!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

No that wont do outdoors, you want to get a shovel, mortar, cement and start mixin :D

Oh and a hawk and trowel and away you go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Just paint the block

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Timewaster

Davy wrote: »
    No that wont do outdoors, you want to get a shovel, mortar, cement and start mixin :D

Oh and a hawk and trowel and away you go :pac:

Thought as much.

Just paint the block? I think this would be best.
    Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Timewaster wrote: »
    Thought as much.

Thanks guys.

painting the block will look better than a badly done plaster job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Timewaster wrote: »
    Thought as much.

Thanks guys.

I suppose so if your not used to doing it, then painting is the way to go. The plaster does give a lovely finish though, maybe get a quote from someone to see if its in your budget before you start painting. You could paint at anytime after the rest of the work really, as it wont make a mess like the plaster would, so you have a little time to spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

paint the wall with a good sealer first because the wall will soak up paint like a sponge, also use a good quality paint (not that own brand crap from the D.I.Y. shops) as it will last much longer and don't be afraid to give it an extra coat, afterall it's a feature point in your garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

If you do decide to get it plastered ....... a scud coat, scratch coat and float. Otherwise you'll get efflorescence at block joints in a few years.

Advertisement