Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lithium-Any experiences?

Options
  • 26-04-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My sister has bi-polar for a long time. She has been taking a fairly high dose of anti-depressants. Her doctor is now recommending she try Lithium. I was just wondering if anyone on here has any good or bad experiences with it. She wants to make the most informed decision.

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Hi,

I've been taking lithium since around Christmas time and have found it works a lot better then some of the anti-d's that I was on before,only negative thing about it that I can think of is that I've gained nearly a stone in weight since I started on it!That and having to get bloods done for the first few weeks after starting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Hi,

I've been taking lithium since around Christmas time and have found it works a lot better then some of the anti-d's that I was on before,only negative thing about it that I can think of is that I've gained nearly a stone in weight since I started on it!That and having to get bloods done for the first few weeks after starting on it.

God, a stone in weight is a lot in a couple of months- my sis is over-weight anyway - she cant afford to put on more. But she got the impression from her doc - ud only gain weight from drinking fizzy drinks etc. from feeling thirsty all the time, what do you think? She's great to drink water - so maybe that would help.
    Oh there's a lot to consider:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

My doctor mentioned that it might increase my appetite and thirst,but I didn't really pay much attention to her and wasn't watching what I ate and drank for the first month or two,and thats how I gained the extra weight.I drink lots of water now whenever I'm hungry and haven't put on anymore weight,I should've listened to the doctor at the start!

Medication affects everybody differently anyway so your sister might get no side effects from lithium,I've been on loads of meds that I got no side efects from,and other people have gotten terrible side effects from the same meds,it all depends on the person.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm interested in the idea of lithium myself, because I never found that anti-depressants worked. Well to be honest, I was always forgoting doses, so I never did myself any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Alwayson

I have been taking lithium for 12 years, every night without fail. Life before lithium is like a ship without an anchor - moods blown hither and thither. With Lithium as your anchor you just kind of bob up and down. Some days I feel down when things are going well and other days I feel elated even though nothing has happened to make me feel that way. Lithium doesn't cure bipolar. You must take them for the rest of your life and they are just making up for a chemical deficiency in your blood. The main side effect I was worried about was loss of creativity and this has happened to a degree. I heard of a successful artist who painted bleak landscapes that sold well then went on lithium and only wanted to paint sunflowers which nobody wanted to buy. I have experienced increased thirst but that can be solved by drinking water which is good for you anyway. Also shaking hands and swollen ankles. The former can be embarrassing if it happens while you are holding a tea cup and saucer and the latter happens due to fluid build up but goes away. I haven't gained weight but I would put up with that if I had to. Most important thing is the discipline of taking the tablets and getting the blood tests, although I only get it done about twice a year which I think is less than I should but my lithium levels have been okay for years now and the dosage hasn't changed. All I can do is recommend lithium based on my experience and comparing it with life before which was chaotic. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Alwayson wrote: »
    I have been taking lithium for 12 years, every night without fail. Life before lithium is like a ship without an anchor - moods blown hither and thither. With Lithium as your anchor you just kind of bob up and down. Some days I feel down when things are going well and other days I feel elated even though nothing has happened to make me feel that way. Lithium doesn't cure bipolar. You must take them for the rest of your life and they are just making up for a chemical deficiency in your blood. The main side effect I was worried about was loss of creativity and this has happened to a degree. I heard of a successful artist who painted bleak landscapes that sold well then went on lithium and only wanted to paint sunflowers which nobody wanted to buy. I have experienced increased thirst but that can be solved by drinking water which is good for you anyway. Also shaking hands and swollen ankles. The former can be embarrassing if it happens while you are holding a tea cup and saucer and the latter happens due to fluid build up but goes away. I haven't gained weight but I would put up with that if I had to. Most important thing is the discipline of taking the tablets and getting the blood tests, although I only get it done about twice a year which I think is less than I should but my lithium levels have been okay for years now and the dosage hasn't changed. All I can do is recommend lithium based on my experience and comparing it with life before which was chaotic. Hope this helps.

Thanks alwayson - you sound very possitive overall about it - i'll pass info on to my sister. If she does decide to go on it i will come back and let ye know how she gets on:)

Advertisement