Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped off by Easons.

Options
  • 26-04-2011 9:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

I bought a book today for about €21 only to find it available online at less than half that price. With shipping included it is delivered for about €11.82. What a rip-off. I could have gotten two similar books online.

I knew Easons were a little bit dearer, I thought it was like 20%. I didn't think that they would be getting away with murder on the lesser known books.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The only shop that I will pay premium prices for is Hodges and Fidges in Dublin. I have no great love for the chain bookstores like Easons but the independent booksellers like Hodges and Fidges/Chapters are a vital resource for the Irish literary world, and it always helps to be able to 'stumble' upon something on a book buying spree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

I always check Bookstation first, always much cheaper than Easons:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Do you still have the receipt? Take it back and say exactly what you've said above. Btw Hodges Figgis aren't an independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Denerick wrote: »
    The only shop that I will pay premium prices for is Hodges and Fidges in Dublin. I have no great love for the chain bookstores like Easons but the independent booksellers like Hodges and Fidges/Chapters are a vital resource for the Irish literary world, and it always helps to be able to 'stumble' upon something on a book buying spree.

That is, Hodges Figgis owned by the HMV Group? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

I bought a book today for about €21 only to find it available online at less than half that price. With shipping included it is delivered for about €11.82. What a rip-off. I could have gotten two similar books online.

I knew Easons were a little bit dearer, I thought it was like 20%. I didn't think that they would be getting away with murder on the lesser known books.

what made you check for the book online after you bought it:confused:

Sounds like an Easons bashing thread.

Chapters ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The only books I buy in shops,are if they are on Sale/Special offers,or second hand books.
    Last weekend I was in Easons because someone gave me a gift voucher,but could'nt bring myself to pay the prices they are charging. So bought no books even though I seen a couple I liked.

I love wandering around bookstores in general ,but rarely buy.While I do pick up the odd book ,more often than not I take photos on my mobile of the ones I am intersted in,and buy online later.I will pay a couple of euro more ,to support irish businesses,but not double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I have to agree with Denerick re Hodges Figgis. Yes, I am aware that it is owned by HMV, but it doesn’t seem to run like a chain. I hope that doesn’t change now that Waterstones across the road is gone. Also, I’m a sucker for the loyalty card. I think it’s quite common these days to find books 50% cheaper on the internet. But I’m living in Spain now and one of the things I do every time I’m home is go into Hodges Figgis and buy up a load of books. Sometimes if I’m not sure I write the name down to check out later and buy online but I’ve only bought 2 books online since I moved out and one of them didn’t arrive. I love shopping for books almost as much as reading them, so whatever the ownership, I like supporting HF. I’ve never been as fond of Chapters for some reason.

Sorry, kind of off topic I know, but in respect of the orginal post, when I am impulse buying in shops I usually wouldn’t spend over €10/€12 on a book. When you start getting above that, it’s definitely time to shop around, whether on internet or in other bookstores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

hatful wrote: »
    Do you still have the receipt? Take it back and say exactly what you've said above. Btw Hodges Figgis aren't an independent.

But you are still not entitled to a refund.

If they give you one, thats fine, but it would be goodwill only and you cannot do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

But you are still not entitled to a refund.

If they give you one, thats fine, but it would be goodwill only and you cannot do anything about it.

Having worked for Easons for a number of years I can say their returns policy is pretty good. Unless a book had clearly been read [ie spine all cracked] or had stickers for a different store [you'd be surprised how many people try to return chapters books to Easons, seriously people take the stickers off] we would refund if there was a receipt or no receipt you'd get an exchange or store credit. People often came in with books they'd bought months ago still in the bag clearly unread and the manager would refund it.

With regard to independant book stores in Ireland people should be aware that the vast majority of them order via Easons wholesale.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

And they will give me my money back completely if I have the receipt, not vouchers that I have to spend in the store losing another couple of euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I always shop around when looking for a particular book I wouldn't even bother with Easons they're so overriced! Amazon and the Book depository are my usual haunts when looking for books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Why does anyone ever bother going to them at all? Don't they care about throwing money away, or do they just not realize how much they're charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

You went into Easons, saw the book you wanted for €21 and thought that was an acceptable price at the time and bought the book.

THEN you decided to actually shop around, and found that you could have got it elsewhere for much cheaper.

Pfft your own fault, noone forced you to buy the book in Easons :rolleyes:

Its happened to everyone, just shop around in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    I have to agree with Denerick re Hodges Figgis. Yes, I am aware that it is owned by HMV, but it doesn’t seem to run like a chain. I hope that doesn’t change now that Waterstones across the road is gone.

It's already started. The week that Waterstone's across the road shut up shop, Hodges Figgis started selling the same chocolates (yes, chocolates ffs). I presume they got them from Waterstone's. They're now doing the 3for2 offer (albeit a limited offer, but I'm sure it'll expand shortly)* and I saw recently they've introduced those 'if you spend X amount, get this book you didn't really want previously for slightly less than the RRP.

I will say that sometimes the 3for2 offer is great, and in the case of their Vintage Classics 3for2, it is indeed a great offer, but the more a shop concentrates on 3for2, the less budget they will have for range (if you have to buy 100 copies of x, then you won't be able to buy 100 copies of individual books).

It also doesn't feel busier since Waterstone's shut up shop. How'd that happen?

Re Eason, the only way they're 'ripping you off' is if they're charging above the RRP or if the conversion rate is bad (which it is in Eason's). Just because a shop isn't giving you a significant discount doesn't mean they're ripping you off. As people have said previously, shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Stopped shopping there a good few years ago now. Total rip off, I do most of my book shopping online these days, book depositry is a favourite of mine. I also pick up a good few bargains in various charity shops around the city. Easons can jog on! Am so surprised they are still in business with the money they charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I really destest buying books online. Nothing beats browsing and finding something unexpected. Saying that, I would rather buy online than in Eason's, it's like a cattle market, and the choice isn't great. Love Books Upstairs and Hodges Figgis, could lose myself for hours in those.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

That is, Hodges Figgis owned by the HMV Group? ;)

I feel so wronged!!! They give the impression of an indepedent bookseller and everything.

Now I have to re-evaluate everything I ever stood for :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I once saw a book in Easons for 10 Euro in one section of the shop and for 20 in another. they obviously forgot to change the price. I still shop at Easons but for a broader election and people who know their books I look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

DVD boxsets in HMV can cost 55 Euro, The same boxset can be delivered to your door with amazon for 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

www.bookdepository.co.uk - unfortunately always cheaper than Easons, I wish I could buy from Ireland but I'm afraid price matters for exact same book.

It's already started. The week that Waterstone's across the road shut up shop, Hodges Figgis started selling the same chocolates (yes, chocolates ffs). I presume they got them from Waterstone's.

Waterstone's and Hodges Figgis are one and the same. Worked there for a weeks work experience when I was 16 and I was told they are owned by Waterstone's. Did a quick google there and Wikipedia says that HF is part of WS which is owned by HMV.

I do love Hodges Figgis though, it's the atmosphere and selection. It's like a temple to books, with the big staircase at the front but also little nooks and crannies here and there. And they had War and Peace for €2.99 a few months back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't get it. You know they are expensive, and you bought it anyway. Knowing you can get it elsewere cheaper.

You ripped yourself off.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't get it. You know they are expensive, and you bought it anyway. Knowing you can get it elsewere cheaper.

You ripped yourself off.

Yup - oh I could lose myself for hours in a book shop... you're paying over the odds for that experience, go and loose yourself for hours so, note what you want, and then go online and buy your choices for a lot cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I love HF for their large scifi&fantasy section. The shop itself is lovely as well.
    Otherwise it's usually online for me.

You are not entitled to anything back but Easons may be nice about giving you a refund. Just shop around in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Of course if everyone does that, they'll close. Borders....sniff....

But I take and accept the point 20% maybe but 100%, eeek. They've priced themselves out of my budget anyway. I'm back to the library, and bargains on amazon. Unless I'm stuck traveling without something to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

vicwatson wrote: »
    www.bookdepository.co.uk - unfortunately always cheaper than Easons, I wish I could buy from Ireland but I'm afraid price matters for exact same book.

Thanks so much for the link to this, just saw a book I bought Sunday and it's less than half price on the site! Will deffo be spending my book euros there in future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

thebullkf wrote: »
    what made you check for the book online after you bought it:confused:

It just happens. Last year I bought a boxed set of six titles in a series for about 70e, to see the same boxset on Amazon the next day for 21e.

Its really annoying.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Denerick wrote: »
    Hidges Figgis is owned by the HMV group though. Hardly "independent".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I love Easons and I love going to Easons and spending hours there but now its over in an hour due to the fact its nearly empty, Are they closing some of their stores???? I'm scared :(

Advertisement