Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Doctor

Options
  • 26-04-2011 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Looking through some past threads I saw a poll asking people's favourite captains, but who is your favourite doctor? In my opinion the doctor characters range from brilliant - Bashir in DS9, The Doctor being Voyager's best character by far - to mediocre. I never really like Beverly Crusher that much, but I can't stand Pulaski. So who's your favourite?

Who is your favourite doctor in Star Trek? 86 votes

Leonard McCoy (TOS)
    0% 0 votes
    Beverley Crusher (TNG)
    34% 30 votes
    Katherine Pulaski (TNG Season 2)
    4% 4 votes
    Julian Bashir (DS9)
    0% 0 votes
    The Doctor (Voy)
    22% 19 votes
    Phlox (Enterprise)
    33% 29 votes
    Other - name in thread
    4% 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Definitely Pulaski...

Seriously though, i'd say Bashir. He went from a pretty crap character, to a really interesting character. Plus, his relationships with Garek and O'Brien were one of the best parts of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a poll answerer
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Bones - Anyone who says Bashir is secretly gay

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Couldnt stop laughing watching that :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Picardo is an excellent actor, bashir is a bit camp but I still think he was the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's actually a tough call

Bones - just cos he's Bones and awesome
    Bashir - although he was a bit of a tool at times there was plenty of character development, some great lines and the always helpful bit of dark side. Like O'Brien one of the few characters just just be seen to hang out, get pissed and act like a normal person
    The Doctor - some frankly hilarious scenes with him in it, suffered by being in Voyager, great development but annoying and repetitive at times. His first two seasons were pretty crappy too as was the constant "I've adapted these nanoprobes to do everything" routine

and then:
    Crusher - meh, kind or air headed and annoying
    Pulaski - mentally blocked out of my life
    Phlox - he was generally too limited in the series, but quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Personally, Id go with the holographic doc in VOY, but Bashir is a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

She wouldn't be top of my list but I kinda liked Polaski. Arguably better than Crusher. Don't get peoples aversion to her.

Bones is number #1 because my god man, he's Bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

It's actually a tough call

Bones - just cos he's Bones and awesome
    Bashir - although he was a bit of a tool at times there was plenty of character development, some great lines and the always helpful bit of dark side. Like O'Brien one of the few characters just just be seen to hang out, get pissed and act like a normal person
    The Doctor - some frankly hilarious scenes with him in it, suffered by being in Voyager, great development but annoying and repetitive at times. His first two seasons were pretty crappy too as was the constant "I've adapted these nanoprobes to do everything" routine

and then:
    Crusher - meh, kind or air headed and annoying
    Pulaski - mentally blocked out of my life
    Phlox - he was generally too limited in the series, but quite good.

Agree with just about everything there.
    Goodshape wrote: »
    She wouldn't be top of my list but I kinda liked Polaski. Arguably better than Crusher. Don't get peoples aversion to her

For one thing, she came across as not giving a fu*k about Data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Goodshape wrote: »
    She wouldn't be top of my list but I kinda liked Polaski. Arguably better than Crusher. Don't get peoples aversion to her.

Dont get it either. Much prefered her over crusher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    For one thing, she came across as not giving a fu*k about Data.
    Ah yeah, she was a cantankerous aul bitch most of the time... but that doesn't stop her being a good character. McCoy was hardly the life and soul either.

I think my full list would be:
    1. McCoy. Integral to that show and just a fantastic counterpoint to Kirk and Spock.
    2. Bashir. Annoying in the beginning but like everyone else on DS9, grew into full and likable character later on.
    3. Pulaski. Same with McCoy, it was nice to have one cranky voice in amongst all the usual ST optimism. Left more of an impression after one season than Crusher did in six and four films.
    4. The Doctor. Not a huge fan but arguably the best thing about that show. Some of his Data-like adventures into being "more real" were fun, but would have been better if it were Data.
    5. Crusher. Just dull. Would be hard to describe her at all without referencing someone else. Wesley's mum, window to Picard's old friend, fell in love with a dead Scottish guy once... ships doctor.
    6. Phlox. Maybe he deserves more, I just didn't watch that show enough.

...not too for from Cookie_Monster's list then really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Doctor Fitzgerald from voyager;)

Seriously its McCoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Bones McCoy is the best by a mile.

Bashir is the best of the rest, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Most definetly Dr. Mccoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

McCoy - Legendary doctor. Dammit Jim!!

Crusher - Meh. She was OK. Whenever an episode focused on her, it was always bad. Sub Rosa...Remember Me....And she gave birth to Wesley.

Pulaski - I didn't think she was too bad. Tried to be a female version of McCoy.

Bashir - Hated him in the first few seasons, but then he just got cool. His genetic/section 31 story lines was enjoyable.

The Doctor - My favorite Doctor. Fascinating story with regards to his rights. Turned from a prick into a medical genius. His flaws were evident but that's why I love him. Massive ego!

Phlox - Liked him but I hated Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fnordius

One thing that might bug people about Dr. Pulaski is that Diana Muldaur had a couple of big roles in the original Trek. She was in "Return to Tomorrow" as well as "Is There In Truth No Beauty".

I found her more interesting than the first series Crusher, though Ms. Muldaur did try too hard to make her crotchety. If only Wil Wheaton had also left the show as well then. But I digress, even if Wil's a pretty cool dude who did the best with a poorly conceived character.

Oh, and my vote is naturally for the first sawbones aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise: Dr. Leonard McCoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

My all time favourite was The Doctor from Voyager, the EMH Mark 1 might not have met Starfleets' expectations, but he sure had a good mix of skill and character.
    From a mans perspective, Dr. Beverly Crusher came next, very easy on the eye.
    Next on my list would be "Bones" McCoy, Bashir and Phlox, each contributed well to their respective shows.
    Least favourite would have to be Pulaski - what was the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

EMH mk 1 for me.Sarcastic humor at its best even mccoy couldnt compete and i like bones alot as a character. His evil self especially in equinox was sweet.

Julian at a close second for previously mentioned mixes with garak and sloan from section 31. His final interaction with sloan was brilliant so dark and unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Character-wise, Bashir.

But Gates McFadden was a beautiful, beautiful woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I liked most of the doctor's except Pulaski. Beverly Crusher was definitely easy on the eye. The Doctor in Voyager was class, probably the best character in the series. Phlox was one of my favourites also, but didn't get much exposure. The episode Dear Doctor is one of my favourites of Enterprise.

Bashir was a tad annoying at the start, but rapidly became a lot better. Loved the friendship with him and O'Brien, seemed very genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Polaski was interesting I thought. The Doctor (voy) as to be the best. I noticed the female characters sem get a very bad rep on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I think the Doctor from Voyager... He was certainly about the only thing worth watching on that programme, though I agree with people who say that Bashir improved throughout DS9. (even if the
    genetically-modified
    thing was a bit of an ass-pull)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Leonard...

What an Unreal McCoy?!?! :)

Anyone who can love somebody like Nancy
    has got to be tops?!?!

:eek:

DeForest was a gent and indeed RIP.

Advertisement