Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra teeth in children

Options
  • 26-04-2011 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi

I'm new to this so bare with me.

I am trying to find out some information. We discovered over the weekend that our three year old has teeth(4 we think) growing in the roof of his mouth. They are where baby's usually get bottle blisters. Has anyone ever come across this and if so what should be done. They are extremely weird and disturbing and I'm afraid they will interfere with his adult teeth if we don't get them sorted now.

Thanks for any input

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi Uffy76.

This forum is for people who are new to boards.ie to ask questions about the site itself. I'll move your question to a more suitable forum and hopefully you'll get some helpful replies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from Newbies & FAQ to Newborn & Toddlers with redirect expiring in 7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Uffy76

Thanks for that. I'm definately a newbie. I haven't a clue. I'm a fast learner though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

move along to dental issues.
    i wouldn't be too worried. adult incisor teeth only start developing about now, first permanent molars after that, then premolars and canines after. he's got AAAAAGGGGGEEEEESSSS for them to develop so don't worry.

He already has his full set of teeth. These are back further in his mouth, maybe about a cm behind his actual teeth. They don't seem to be as big as his proper teeth but are most definately teeth like(or boney) in structure. They look extremely strange!

• Advertisement

there are 20 baby teeth altogether, top and bottom. each quadrant has 2 incisors, 1 canine, and 2 baby molars.
    does he have all of these?

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/dental_care/hic_teeth_eruption_timetable.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I knew a girl who had a full extra set of teeth behind her first set of teeth. She got them removed when she was a teenager... Bring him to the dentist and get them checked out...

Unfortunately he does. These are the strangest thing I've ever come across. I have three other children so I'm well used to the teething and how each child is different. These are freaky looking things. I've searched online to see can I see anything similar and am drawing a blank. I'm at a loss to be honest. I'm terrified in case he gets a full set behind his already existing set of teeth!

people will only get two sets of teeth. in some rare cases you can get an extra tooth called a supernumerary, but not a full extra set, unless you're an alligator. if no one else in your family has it, then it'd be fairly rare.

what january may be talking about is where the baby teeth were stubborn to fall out even though the adult teeth were erupting, and they were removed to allow easier growth.

people will only get two sets of teeth. in some rare cases you can get an extra tooth called a supernumerary, but not a full extra set, unless you're an alligator. if no one else in your family has it, then it'd be fairly rare.

what january may be talking about is where the baby teeth were stubborn to fall out even though the adult teeth were erupting, and they were removed to allow easier growth.

Definitely not, this girl had a full extra set of teeth about two centimetre's behind her first set of teeth. She lost all the baby teeth at the front and grew adult teeth but the second set never fell out.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Definitely not, this girl had a full extra set of teeth about two centimetre's behind her first set of teeth. She lost all the baby teeth at the front and grew adult teeth but the second set never fell out.

you're saying that this girl had 3 full sets of teeth?? there should've been a paper written about that somewhere.

She grew a set of teeth when she was a baby, when she was a toddler/pre schooler an extra set started to grow behind, a full extra set of 20, then her baby teeth fell out at the front and she got her adult teeth but the set at the back never fell out and she got them removed when she was 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Defo take the child to the dentist. my 5 year old has 21 teeth instead of 20 he has 5 front teeth instead of 4... my cousins child has no enamel on his teeth (they all decayed ) and had his first set of full dentures at the age of 3.

A quick x ray should tell you what they are and if they need to be removed or let them develop naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

My friends nephew only has 1 set of teeth! He's been X-rayed and there's no biggies behind his baby teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Me too, I only have 1 set of teeth, lost only 4 teeth as a kid, the rest were all adult teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Uffy76 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm new to this so bare with me.

I am trying to find out some information. We discovered over the weekend that our three year old has teeth(4 we think) growing in the roof of his mouth. They are where baby's usually get bottle blisters. Has anyone ever come across this and if so what should be done. They are extremely weird and disturbing and I'm afraid they will interfere with his adult teeth if we don't get them sorted now.

Thanks for any input

Could you try to get a good picture of your child's teeth and post it so we have an idea of your situation?
    Thanks OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Oral Surgeon: Are you serious? Diagnosis by internet photo? That's beyond ridiculous.

OP: Go to a dentist with your concerns. This now falls under the medical advice clause of the charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement