Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to windsurfing?

Options
  • 26-04-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I've been looking to get into windsurfing this summer (something I've been putting off since the past few years) but there doesn't seem to be much of it going on here on the east coast atleast lately. Like I remember a few years ago you could spot a good number of windsurfers around Dun Laoghaire or in Malahide and other places around Dublin though now it seems to be the kitesurfers who're everywhere.

So is there much of a windsurfing scene left in Dublin or would I sort of be on my own going into windsurfing and would be better off jumping over the fence into the world of kitesurfing??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

These guys were from Dublin and do windsurf on east coast on regular basis. Try to talk to people, when you see them, or via a shop. They are still out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭breadmond

There's still a bit of a scene in dublin but there seems to be way more kiters these days. If you head down to Dollymount, the bit by the causeway not the wooden bridge on a windy day there are usually a few people out. Malahide estuary gets a decent crowd too when there's breeze. If you're looking for lessons, surfdock and Wind and Wave in Malahide do them.

I'm involved with the UCD windsurfing club and we generally would have a big crowd out on the water every sunday during term. If you have your own gear you're more than welcome to come down and head out with us, there are already a few non college types who come down with us. Check out our forum for when we go out, we probably won't do much till september but say hello anyhow and you might get a few people looking to go out for a sail :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigsurf.ie

Hi af_thefragile,

Firstly, bigsurf.ie (us) is a business/retail shop and this is not a sales pitch...to quieten the moderators of this forum, I have to say that first.

Breadmond's info gives you 2 possible locations to learn to windsurf. There are lots more around the country if you want to travel and learn on a weekend away...feel free to ask me for recommendations.

Windsurfing was huge in the 80's as equipment was all one design, then dropped off somewhat in early 90's as the kit developed a lot and folks could not keep up with the technology and the cost of it (for good reason) and then the competition scene in particular dwindled in the early 2000's as the kit got so competitive...if you did not have it, you would not win...and folks like to win, so numbers fell. That competitive kit trickled into the fun, freeride, Sunday afternoon windsurfer and it made it quite difficult to progress as the kit was too technical. In recent years, kit manufacturers realise this, and the whole windsurfing scene has seen a huge resurgence, both in terms of free riding on a Sunday, and in terms of easy access fun competition...check: www.irishslalom.ie... here you can have over 120 people at an event from all over Ireland. Kit is also now lighter, stronger and much easier to progress quickly on...if you progress quickly, you're more likely to keep at it.

Kitesurfing is easier to progress at, but gets dangerous quicker. When it starts going wrong in windsurfing, you toss the kit away and pick it up when it all stops...in kitesurfing, when it starts going wrong, it's only the start. But in saying that, kitesurfing is easier to progress quicker at, the kit is much safer now a days than back in the early 2000's and provided you're sensible when and where you go out, there is bigger thrills available earlier in the learning curve..boost massive air very easily!

Kit wise, if you keep kitesurfing simple, i.e. don't get sucked into buying loads of kites and boards, which is now happening in kitesurfing I'm afraid, a reason why some kitesurfers are coming back to windsurfing, and I hope this won't lead to kitesurfing getting too technical like what happened windsurfing years ago, it'll remain a winner for everybody. Other thing with kitesurfing is generallly, you need a beach with lots of space to launch and relaunch...you don't with windsurfing. I can suggest a good safe kitesurf centre to learn at if you like. When you crack it, kitesurfing is epic!

You generally need more wind to windsurf, so you're likely to see more of the windsurfers out on the windier days at Dollymount, etc... Joining in with the UCD Windsurf club is a great way to get into it...after that, locally in Dublin, I'd recommend Malahide Estuary...great spot and lots of beginners to intermediates all windsurfing there.

Sorry this is long winded, but I would suggest trying both! Feel free to email me for more info any time.

Regards,
    Pearse
    bigsurf.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cheers Pearse, that's a very informative post!

I think windsurfing appeals to me more because I grew up watching windsurfers and wanting to do it and its very close to sailing (and I love sailing). But lately I have been seeing a lot of kitesurfers and its pretty cool how easily they can get such big air and they get a lot of speed as well.

I'm not really a racer, neither am I very competitive. I'ld be more into freeriding.

I'ld like to give kitesurfing a shot to see how I find it. The kit for windsurfing and kitesurfing seems to cost about the same and I'm a bit restrained financially wise so I'll have to chose between the two...

Right now kitesurfing seems to be where its all at in Dublin atleast. Dollymount seems to be full of kitesurfers whenever its a bit windy. But I'ld regret not having tried windsurfing if I haven't tried it...

I'll probably stick with windsurfing and if I have some spare cash lying around, i'll give kitesurfing a go and see if it can win me over becoming a windsurfer...!

What would you guys recommend is the best place to get windsurfing lessons in Dublin? I know surfdock in grandcanal do them and fingal sailing school in the Malahide estuary do them...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭breadmond

Both those places are fine for lessons, I'd just go to whichever is more convenient for you. If you're looking to buy gear, especially as a beginner there's way more value to be had by buying secondhand. There's usually plenty of people selling gear on the windsurfing ireland yahoo group. I think you guys sell some secondhand stuff too Pearse? If you go for a couple of lessons your instructor will be able to advise you on what sort of kit you should be looking for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 kevmc1180

Im looking into getting into wind surfing too.
    I also grew up watching windsurfers.
    I bodyboard and surf but really want to windsurf.
    The cost always put me off. Im ready to bite the bullet,
    and finally make the investment.

I spoke to pearse recently about kit via his website.
    Actually if anyone is looking for surf gear of any sort i recommend
    bigsurf.ie great site great service.

Im going for lessons in Oyster haven, I live in Passage west / Monkstown area.
    If i get kit is it okay to sail around monkstown harbour/estuary, or would i have to go
    somewhere like oyster haven.

Been looking at starboards rio and go.
    I know the rio is meant more for beginners, but i dont want to replacing it a year down the road.
    Would the Go be okay for a keen beginner?
    Which would be the best board for a keen beginner?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigsurf.ie

Sorry Breadmond, just realised you asked us a question on this back in April 2011 :eek: ...yes we sell used windsurf kit.

How did you get on af_thefragile?

kevmc1180 - Thanks for the glowing feedback! If you like, I'll put you in contact with the local East Cork or West Cork windsurfers and I suggest windsurfing with them every moment that you can when you have some kit...there is someone windsurfing every day in Cork. You'll really enjoy windsurfing with all these folks, it's the safest way to partake, and the quickest way to learn. Oysterhaven should look after you fine...a lot of people learned to windsurf there. Try the kit at Oysterhaven first...then you'll have a good idea on whether you'll need the Rio or the Go...the Go essentially does not have a centre board, which makes keeping upwind much, much easier. So the Go should be fine if you have the basics covered at a school on the bigger boards like "Rio" or the "Start".

Regards,
    Pearse
    bigsurf.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kevmc1180

bigsurf.ie wrote: »
    Sorry Breadmond, just realised you asked us a question on this back in April 2011 :eek: ...yes we sell used windsurf kit.

How did you get on af_thefragile?

kevmc1180 - Thanks for the glowing feedback! If you like, I'll put you in contact with the local East Cork or West Cork windsurfers and I suggest windsurfing with them every moment that you can when you have some kit...there is someone windsurfing every day in Cork. You'll really enjoy windsurfing with all these folks, it's the safest way to partake, and the quickest way to learn. Oysterhaven should look after you fine...a lot of people learned to windsurf there. Try the kit at Oysterhaven first...then you'll have a good idea on whether you'll need the Rio or the Go...the Go essentially does not have a centre board, which makes keeping upwind much, much easier. So the Go should be fine if you have the basics covered at a school on the bigger boards like "Rio" or the "Start".

Regards,
    Pearse
    bigsurf.ie

Hi Pearse I've have been for two lessons now, definitely got the bug, but will be getting some more, as I don't want to get caught out on my own...
    I have been looking into kit, I don't have much bobs spare to throw away at present.

Really it will just be for fun, and maybe one day have a craic at the FUN slalom events,
    However with funds tight, I want to get a board that will grow with me, I see the Rio, only being a one year board. I think the go is a good option.
    My question is really is the carve to advanced for a novice?
    I don't mind a board that maybe harder to handle at first, but will be adequate for me as I get more experienced.
    What kind of litre would I require, at 11stone/70kgs and 5ft6.
    Any advice would be great....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jdall

Hey everyone,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but there is some good information here so I'd prefer to stay on topic rather than start all over.

kevmc- did you ever getting your own rig? I'm coming from a similar position and wondering what you ended up going with?

Cheers,

John

Advertisement