Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Cat Out Of Flowerbed

Options
  • 26-04-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Could anyone advise what is the best way to keep a cat away from flower beds? Very frustrating is constantly destroying the flowers.

Is there anything to completely deter the cat?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 marsabs

Hi I also am keep to keep my neighbour's cat out of my flowerbed. He has destroyed loads of bulbs on me already. I like cats but not in my flower beds. I have put up loads of netting and wire already but don't really want to do that in the front of the house. I have tried Cat Off Gel - no good, citrus peel - no good, thorny bushes - no good, pepper (as a very last resort) - no good!) Would love to hear any positive solutions. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Cats like nice soft sfuff to dig in as toileting material. Anything loose like compost, well rotted manure, leaves, etc will do.
    They pick an area thats the most suitable to their needs in an area and keep coming back to that area.
    The trick is to make your flower bed less favourable in comparison to neighbouring areas.
    Cats dont usually like to scratch around in rough stones or gravel.
    My neighbours cat walks across my back garden which has large areas gravelled, looking like someone walking across hot sand barefoot.
    Gravel or stones can make an excellent mulch when laid on top of compost, holding in heat and moisture and discouraging weeds.
    You could try using a thick top layer of gravel over the soil in a particular area of your flower bed and see it it deters the cats,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Could anyone advise what is the best way to keep a cat away from flower beds? Very frustrating is constantly destroying the flowers.

Is there anything to completely deter the cat?

If its your cat you're pretty much buggered. It owns you and will do what it wants. You could get a litter box and try to encourage her to use it but if she wants to dig up the garden its pet human grows things in then its up to her and her pet human needs to know its place.

If its a neigbbours cat then catch her. Drive to another town. Cut off the collar and dump her in the garden of someone you don't like.

And yes I'm more of a dog person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Get a big dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

touts wrote: »
    If its your cat you're pretty much buggered. It owns you and will do what it wants. You could get a litter box and try to encourage her to use it but if she wants to dig up the garden its pet human grows things in then its up to her and her pet human needs to know its place.

If its a neigbbours cat then catch her. Drive to another town. Cut off the collar and dump her in the garden of someone you don't like.

And yes I'm more of a dog person.

And make sure you drive at least fifty miles away:D:p:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Chase it off and chuck water at it. Be persistant and it will get the message eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Yes it is my cat and I wish to keep it.Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padowado

I have a solution.....a BIG shotgun.....only joking
    try Whitethorn or Blackthorn with plenty of thorns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Yes it is my cat and I wish to keep it.Any other suggestions?

This stuff, $31.95 on Amazon :D Will scare anything including deer

156787.jpg

Advertisement