Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usb audio interface vs usb mixer

• 26-04-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

about to purchase either a usb interface or usb mixer in order to record to a laptop.planning on using a version of adobe audition i got..

i have been reading around online, my initial plan was to purchase a usb mixer such as the yamaha mw10c but have read that usb mixers with in built interface can not get the same quality as interfaces.

would an interface with say 4 inputs be able to record simultaneously, say micing a drum kit with 3 plus mics.

any advice would be greatly appreciated regarding mixers and interfaces, as the more i read about them the more confused im getting to be honest..

need something where i can record drums, then monitor and record bass, then guitar etc..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

the only comment I can offer here would be my personal concern over having both eggs in the one basket. I'd travel a reasonable bit playing/recording abroad and the thought of arriving at a gig and finding that my combined interface and mixer were dead would cause an almost certain spontaneous bowel release. The interface is essential for me, the mixer I can borrow on site if needs be. But, I don't do drums so who knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

jayflynn wrote: »

would an interface with say 4 inputs be able to record simultaneously, say micing a drum kit with 3 plus mics.

If the interface has 4 mic inputs then yeah,I think you would be able to record 4 tracks at once.You might want to check out how many pre-amps the interface your getting has as it would want to have 4 if your using 4 at once.

I'm a bit of a noob myself,I just use an interface for home recording.You can always add a mixer to your setup at a later time if you need it.However if your already recording drums you might want to use more mics than 4 sooner rather than later,If I was trying to record drums now I'd want 8-10 mics.

Just some food for thought,A lot of posters on here would have a better idea than myself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jayflynn

thanks for the replies..
    i ve decided to go with the m audio fast track ultra interface. it has 8 inputs, 4 of which have pre amp..

i figured out that the mixers dont let you control the faders in the software, i need a DAW controller for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

jayflynn wrote: »

i figured out that the mixers dont let you control the faders in the software

some do.

yeah?have you got any i can look at..would help..

the quality(bitrate) wouldnt be as high as an interface tho..would i be right in saying that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 headphoned

The most important thing about getting audio into your computer is A/D conversion, and the converters in an interface will generally be better than the ones in a mixer. So you chose wisely with the interface :)

oh thats good..thanks alot

I use the M-audio fast track pro,Which I think is basically a mini version of what your looking at,and it works great.Theres Less hassle using a DAW too as its easier to mess with faders and effects and what not with just the click of your mouse instead of a big mixer on your lap!

I would've thought that the automated fader mixers that sync up the faders with whatever daw your using would be expensive enough as well,I could be wrong.

Anyway that interface is good,Still think you might want a few more inputs in a while though.4 mics for drums seems a very small amount to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

gotta love the fast track pro. Mine's been all over the world and never let me down.

cool thats good to know.hopefully its what im looking for..need to sort a daw..found a korg one small and compact for under 50 and a behringer mixer for 150..mite hold off on one for the minute but the interface will be a start to it.

anyone using windows 7?

• Advertisement

For what its worth I use Reaper as a DAW.Its free to download and trial for as long as u want with the option of buying it whenever you like which is dead handy,they're cool dudes.:cool:

I use XP meself,No experience with Windows 7 hardly much difference though I'd say.

Advertisement