Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare costs

Options
  • 26-04-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I'm currently in the process of looking for a childminder for my 5 year old for 16 hours per week. However, I seem to be getting quoted really high prices. Can anyone tell me what the going rate for after school care is. I'd also like to know do parents generally pay the childminder for the school holidays ie. Halloween, Christmas, Easter etc. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Whereabouts are you? Prices differ from region to region. You generally have to pay for holidays but some annualise the holiday charges so you don't have to pay extra during those periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I paid 125 for 25 hours a week a couple of years ago. Basically a fiver an hour. I'm in Dublin. I paid the minder for the odd day's holiday and at Christmas and Easter. The only time I didn't pay her was when she went on her own two weeks in the summer as I'd have to pay someone else to mind my little one. Outcome of all that is I still keep in contact with the minder and she's picked my little girl up from school if they're off early once or twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My two after-schoolers go to a creche and I'm charged €15 per child per day. I have to pay during holidays, bank holidays and mid-term breaks even though they're not there.

If my children need to go in for full days during holidays, I pay an extra €35 per day for the two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ticky Boo

I'm in Cork and pay €5 per hour for my minder but she only gets paid when she works (her terms, not mine) so I don't pay her for holidays etc - she would usually do a daily rate of €30 for me then during school holidays if I need her for the full day - I live in the country and know that prices are much higher than this in the city.

Advertisement