Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 Greatest Metal Albums Ever

Options
  • 26-04-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭

20. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
    19. RATM - Battle of L.A
    18. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
    17. Slayer - Reign in Blood
    16. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    15. AC/DC - Highway To Hell
    14. Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
    13. GnR - Appetite for Destruction
    12. AC/DC - Back in Black
    11. A7X - Waking the fallen
    10. Slipknot - Vol. 3...
    09. RATM - RATM
    08. Parkway Drive - Horizons
    07. BFMV - The Poison
    06. SOAD - Toxicity
    05. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    04. Slipknot - Slipknot
    03. Metallica - Master of Puppets
    02. A7X - City of Evil
    01 Bring Me the Horizon - Suicide Season

That concludes the greatest ever metal albums, as judged by the readers of the esteemed NME magazing...enjoy!:pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mushy wrote: »
    02. A7X - City of Evil
    01 Bring Me the Horizon - Suicide Season
    I agree completely ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Great, another greatest whatever list. *Gets popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Great, another greatest whatever list. *Gets popcorn

I know, I wouldn't have bothered bar the fact it was laughable at the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Some of those I could understand. But BMTH getting #1? Too far, even for one of these lists.

I know, I wouldn't have bothered bar the fact it was laughable at the end.

It sure is, some dodgy choices throughout the 20 tho. Must admit I'd never heard of Bring me the Horizon before. Checked them out on youtube. Not a fan, but then again I don't really like any metalcore.

• Advertisement

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    It sure is, some dodgy choices throughout the 20 tho. Must admit I'd never heard of Bring me the Horizon before. Checked them out on youtube. Not a fan, but then again I don't really like any metalcore.

I forgot, there was a link: http://www.nme.com/photos/20-greatest-metal-albums-ever-as-voted-by-you/212959/1/1#20

I particularly love how the album cover and name is blatantly calling out to those emos(read: attention seekers) that define people who like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I initially ignored the true numerical positioning of the albums and thought the best ones were at the top of the post to which I thought it was a bit mainstream but I can't complain. Then I noticed it was actually PanterA at 20 and BMTH at 1 — along with a couple of Avenged Sevenfold in the top 11, with Parkway Drive and BFMV, among others — in which case I'll leave this thread with the following;

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It's got no Fear Factory or Machine Head on it therefore it's invalid straight away.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Even though im not the biggest Metal fan (but do like a bit) the fact that BMTH is number 1 is hilarious. Also i watched some of Kerrangs top 100 rock songs and this was number 1

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

17. Slayer - Reign in Blood
    WTF? Number 17?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Any list where that is decided by online voting should be taken with a pinch of salt. All it takes is a few nerdy fans of some band to vote a million times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Great list. :pac: Surprised to see Slipknot's self titled higher than Vol 3, as this list looks like it was voted on by people with short term memory.

kbannon wrote: »
    WTF? Number 17?

I know....too high if ya ask me:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

There are so many things wrong with that list I'm at a loss where to start!

Pantera should be higher considering the sh*te at the top end. And this was a "metal" poll? How times have changed eh? F*ckin' kids. :pac:

I know....too high if ya ask me:pac:
    shocked_face.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Even though im not the biggest Metal fan (but do like a bit) the fact that BMTH is number 1 is hilarious. Also i watched some of Kerrangs top 100 rock songs and this was number 1

First Avenged Sevenfold song I've ever heard ... wow. It's a steaming turd :pac:

shocked_face.jpg

I'm sorry, I just dont like them. There are worse bands though.

I know what you want :D:
    Justin-Bieber-Slayer-Shirt.jpg

Edit: ^ that t-shirt is class :p

I would agree with you to be honest, don't particularly like them myself. I don't mind Slayer being on a list like this tho. Even if I don't really like them, I recognise that they have been an important metal band, very influential. Can't imagine the likes of A7X ever being that influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I know what you want :D:
    Justin-Bieber-Slayer-Shirt.jpg
    Cunning tee! Having said that, if I see anyone wear such a shirt [in the words of Jim Jeffries] hit that cûnt in the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I quite like Avenged Sevenfold. Nightmare (the song posted) is pretty good along with Bat Country and a few others. The Rev was pretty good and their bassist is pretty talented too, why they decided not to hold on to Portnoy, i'll never know. Their image though is mank.

However to suggest that they've got two albums worthy of being in the top 20 of all time is ludicrous. I can think of at least 4 more Metallica albums and at least one more Slayer album that should be in there instead of them for a start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

BMTH... Who are they?

Are NME honestly trying to suggest that they have created the best metal album of all time? Are they high? I don't even have to have heard it to know it's not better than Master Of Puppets amongst millions of others.

*goes back to listening to Type O Negative*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

20. All Shall Perish - Awaken the Dreamers
    19. RATM - Battle of L.A
    18. Soundgarden - BadMotorFinger
    17. Kse - Alive or just breathing
    16. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    15. AC/DC - Highway To Hell
    14. Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
    13. GnR - Appetite for Destruction
    12. AC/DC - Back in Black
    11. Shadows Fall - The War Within
    10. Death - Leprosy
    09. RATM - RATM
    08. Parkway Drive - Horizons
    07. Alice in Chains - Dirt
    06. At the gates- Slaughter of the Soul
    05. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    04. Slayer - Reign in Blood
    03. Metallica - Master of Puppets
    02. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
    01 Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
    That concludes the greatest ever metal albums, as judged by an actual metal fan

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I must have missed AC/DC's metal phase!:rolleyes:

That's one of the worst lists i've seen in a long time,complete load of tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

If you reverse the order it makes a bit more sense. Puts Pantera up at no.1 and BMTH at the bottom :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Numina wrote: »
    If you reverse the order it makes a bit more sense. Puts Pantera up at no.1 and BMTH at the bottom :D
    Yeah, but bottom of a top 20 is still far more than they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I would have

W.A.S.P: The Crimson Idol
    Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime
    Dio: Holy Diver

In there somewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The NME are a hipster indie rag, I don't mean to be tribalistic though I being this anyway for the lulz but they shouldn't presume to know enough about an entire genre outside of their remit to compile a best of list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Denny M wrote: »
    Yeah, but bottom of a top 20 is still far more than they deserve.

Please tell me you're joking, Great Southern Trendkill\Far Beyond Driven and all the rest are amazing albums! They're pretty much what got me listening to heavier and heavier stuff.

Also I'm gay for Phil. What? I'm not afraid to admit that he's awesome! <cof>

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    Please tell me you're joking, Great Southern Trendkill\Far Beyond Driven and all the rest are amazing albums! They're pretty much what got me listening to heavier and heavier stuff.

Also I'm gay for Phil. What? I'm not afraid to admit that he's awesome! <cof>
    Huh? I was replying to someone saying flip the list, so BMTH are 20th. Last in a top 20 for BMTH is better than they deserve. Pantera piss all over BMTH.

Advertisement