Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irrelevant internship better than no internship?

Options
  • 26-04-2011 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I can't find any summer placement in my chosen field but I've got the opportunity to do a business internship. So I have to choose between a J1 and that........
    It's relatively low paid so the money difference isn't really and issue.
    Do you think the padding to my C.V. is worth it or will an irrelevant internship not help me anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I can't find any summer placement in my chosen field but I've got the opportunity to do a business internship.
    How irrelevant is it (is there any angle to it that will help you in the future?) and will the work be of benefit to you, or to the employer (cheap labour)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

Well, I think there might be two sides to this issues, one positive and the other which is quite negative :

Positive side :
    To have done an internship, even if it's quite remote, might show that you were willing to work and you made some enquiries. It shows that you made an effort to get into the professional area.

Negative :
    On the other side, if it's too remote, that won't enhance your CV at all, and employers won't notice it if it's not in their domain.

Usually, companies will look at your professional experience and having any is better than none. But the J1 downside is that J1 became too much of an easy access to jobs and therefore, the CV value of the J1 experience might decrease in the upcoming years. Especially since that its open-availability will lead to the fact that a lot of people will have a J1 experience in their CV, which isn't that much of an enhancing effect.

It depends on what work you'll be performing while on J1. How remote is the internship in question ?

I personally would go with the internship, but if it's too irrelevant, you might second-guess it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Take the J1. You'll probably have a much better time and be a more rounded person as a result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd rather take the J1, than the irrelevant internship. The latter will be irrelevant, but you may get something relevantish in the J1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

I done an internship in an area I was pursuing my original degree. Having changed fields and now entering a completely different direction, its still what a lot of employers quiz me on. My only real life experience I suppose and a good reference from a professional working environment is always a good thing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement