Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church light candelabra

Options
  • 27-04-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi i have a problem where i recently replaced bulbs in a church candelbra (this is where you put in your money and touch a candle and it lights up)
    they're were about 30 bulbs many of which were blown, 12v wedge bulbs some which were just push in and others had to be soldered on because the bulb holders were broken.
    these bulbs flicker for a certain lenght of time and then go out.
    the problem i have is some of them remain on constantly and others go out in less than 10 seconds.
    the bulb holder is on a some sort of a card with a toshiba chip in it.
    just wondering if anyone has any experince in this area with regard to setting times etc or do they think it they were factory set.
    the candelabra looks to be handmade and a date from 1992 was hand written on the 12volt transformer inside or if there is somebody around that still makes these. info would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

no experience with what you're describing, but I know from relamping some 12V G4 halogens in my own house it is all too easy to exceed the wattage rating of the transformer. What wattage are the lamps, and what is the rating of the trafo?

The other possibility with the lamps that go out after a fixed period could be a mechanical problem in that as they heat up, they expand, loosing connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Have you drawn up a wiring diagram / schematic? Should be easy if it's home made.

It might be worth seeing if you can replace the bulbs with LEDs. They don't need to be really bright for that application. If you go with LEDs, they'll never need changing again...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PR79

@ dublindilbert It might be worth seeing if you can replace the bulbs with LEDs. They don't need to be really bright for that application. If you go with LEDs, they'll never need changing again...

the bulbs are 2W 0.01amp, they only started blowing in the last couple of years so they have been working for the last 19 years. the problem is they are electronically set via invidual cards which have resistors etc. and the main par of it is a toshiba chip which i think is the brains of it. i'll try and get somes pictures of it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It really sounds to me like the electronics have overheated and if that is the case, it is unlikely you will get it to work well again. The toshiba chip could be a timer. Are there any numbers on it? The timings could be set by the values on the components. You might be able to find something to replace the circuit boards, if you talk to the suppliers of church equipment, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Can u read the part numbers on any of the ICs?

Have u worked out how they are making the flicker?? And doing the timing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 PR79

I guess it would be better if you could directly ask the person from whom you purchased it.

Candelabra Lamp
    led lights for parking lots

Afraid i can't do that. the local priest bought it and he's dead, the priest that came after him is also dead. we did get a name of a company in wexford but they don't make them anymore. 2 companies made this particular one but they both went out of business in the late 90's, i'm beginning to think they're is a higher power at work here conspiring against me for medalling in there affairs..very omen stuff :):)

Advertisement