Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much Dish rotation to go from Astra 1 to Astra 2 ?

• 27-04-2011 9:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

This is the 2nd dish I've installed, the first went up perfect (fluke), but this Ross system is giving me a headache.
    The main english speaking channels BBC/ITV/CH4 are meant to be pre-tuned so I selected BBC 1 as my signal guide while aligning the dish.
    Copying my neighbours alignment I got 63% after about an hour of fiddling.
    Tightened everything & came inside to run the scan on Astra 2/Eurobird.

All I've got are hundreds of German stations & none of the UK ones.
    A quick Google suggests I'm actually aligned at Astra 1 & not on Astra 2.

How much rotation typically are we looking at to get to Astra 2 & in which direction ?.
    If I'm standing behind the dish am I turning left or right & by how much ?.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    This is the 2nd dish I've installed, the first went up perfect (fluke), but this Ross system is giving me a headache.
    The main english speaking channels BBC/ITV/CH4 are meant to be pre-tuned so I selected BBC 1 as my signal guide while aligning the dish.
    Copying my neighbours alignment I got 63% after about an hour of fiddling.
    Tightened everything & came inside to run the scan on Astra 2/Eurobird.

All I've got are hundreds of German stations & none of the UK ones.
    A quick Google suggests I'm actually aligned at Astra 1 & not on Astra 2.

How much rotation typically are we looking at to get to Astra 2 & in which direction ?.
    If I'm standing behind the dish am I turning left or right & by how much ?.

Thanks for any advice.

Look here,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056249821

Bet me to it john mac:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

John mac wrote: »

That dishpointer site is class.
    Tells me 148.9 degrees for Astra 1 vs 139 degrees for Astra 2.
    So I've to rotate my dish 10 degrees to the left (east) with maybe a slight vertical adjustment.

Good feedback, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭montgolfiere

+/- 9 degrees to the east and reduce the elevation approx 5 degrees. also you would need to optimise the Skew (output of cable to approx 7.00 hrs).
    the Skyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

I'd suggest you make a mark of your position now on the pole/clamp (one for azimuth and one for elevation ) before you start searching. That way you'll know where to go if you need to start again. And you'll know in future where Astra1 is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Booms wrote: »
    I'd suggest you make a mark of your position now on the pole/clamp (one for azimuth and one for elevation ) before you start searching. That way you'll know where to go if you need to start again. And you'll know in future where Astra1 is.

Sound advice, I'll be working on it again this Friday so I'll be heeding that.

One thing I can't understand is that I was getting a strong signal for BBC 1 on Astra 1 yet there was no picture.
    Yet when I cycled through the stations ITV1 showed 0%, strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MBSnr

One thing I can't understand is that I was getting a strong signal for BBC 1 on Astra 1 yet there was no picture.
    Yet when I cycled through the stations ITV1 showed 0%, strange.

Some satellites share or have in common the same frequency use. So the transponder details (freq and polarization) on your preset tuned BBC for Astra 2 @28East was probably in use also on Astra 1 @ 19East. So pointing at Astra 1 but using Astra 2 channel details, you'd see that the signal quality was ok but no picture due to the channel details being incorrect. It's a common issue when searching for a satellite!

Boring bit...
    Each individual channel has a SID/PID number that defines the video and audio that it uses from the transponder (as there are normally multiple channels on one transponder). If you want to know more have a look here. The top entry shows all the variants of Ch4 on one transponder, each with an individual SID. If you edited the SID of a channel you'd lose the picture (black screen) but would still see the quality level of the transponder that the box sees being correct (probs from the info button - I don't know the Ross boxes).

Advertisement