Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC English..A pain in my study plan

• 27-04-2011 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Okay so look, I really need some help with higher level english for the leaving cert. The only problem is, I am not sure what I need help in.

From junior cycle I was never really a strong English student. Throughout 3rd year my teacher was trying to hassle me into dropping into ordinary level saying I would be lucky if I got a C in Junior cycle and I can see why too. I was a fairly poor student at English (getting Ds and the odd C). So the JC comes along and bam I surprise myself and her by getting a B and that was without answering the studied poetry.

In LC I am having similar problems to what I had in JC. Ive been getting Ds non-stop for this year, again with the odd C thrown in here and there. I try to spend the recommended time when writing my essays (1hr for most) and when I hand them up, they generally get low marks, even though I feel I put a good bit of work in them and answered everything well enough.

So anyways, I am unsure what to do next. English really is a pivotal subject for me. Applying for a course that had a CaO points value of 440 may be a bit ambitious with 3 ordinary subjects (maths,Irish,German) but I think I can do it as I have LCVP to back me up and I am very strong in most of my other subjects which I get B+As in. But if I was to slack in even one of those subjects, my CaO would be messed up so Id really like to get around a C1 in English just in case which sounds simple, but feels like an uphill crawl to me.

To be honest, I am not really sure were I go wrong in English. Does anybody have any suggestions or helpful advice they could offer ? My heartfelt thanks to anybody who can help me.

Just before anybody thinks of suggesting it as well, Grinds are a little bit out of my reach financially.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Maybe ask your teacher to explain exactly where you are going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

nommm wrote: »
    Maybe ask your teacher to explain exactly where you are going wrong.

Ive tried that, all I ever really get is...Im not answering the question which I think is fairly obvious considering the low marks I am getting.

I dunno I just thought maybe there was some secret little way to do well in English which I am not getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Idenitfy the key words in the question, link every single point back to those key words, even repeat the words a couple of times. Don't just go oh theme question talk about the themes and then forget that the question was about how the themes are varied/complex or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Idenitfy the key words in the question, link every single point back to those key words, even repeat the words a couple of times. Don't just go oh theme question talk about the themes and then forget that the question was about how the themes are varied/complex or something.

THIS. It sounds silly but answer the question as if you were, in fact, answering the question, don't just write everything you know about a theme or a character, just answer what you're asked. This is also exactly why you shouldn't ever learn off an essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

im in leaving cert too and i find it hard also and im getting C's and sometimes D's in my answers. a C1 will be hard to come by tho ayrtonf?its what im aiming for too. whats your 1st choice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement