Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

She came at me to knock me down

• 27-04-2011 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

this morning I had the closest shave in my 5 years riding.
    Filtering down Rathmines road coming up to the lights at portobello brigde, a car came around the corner from the canal. She came around the corner wide so I started to move in to the stationary traffic. She however continued to come down the road close to the centre line. The road at this point is quite wide so I suspected she was coming at me. However, how close she got to me was atrocious. I had to lean into the cars on my left to avoid her glancing off me. I was in complete shock and continued on my way. Only after did I entertain the idea that I should have gone after her and asked her why she attempted to murder me. Or I should call the police and report her.

What do you do in that situation????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How fast was she going? Would she have been able to actually harm you? Did you get car details?
    If so you should report it to the Gardai, were you on the right (left) side of the middle line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'd have turned around and followed her to get her details AND report it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I would have turned around and kicked the sh1t out of her cage, but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Spoon Fed

She was moving fast and would have clobbered me, for sure.
    As for reporting her to the gaurds, I was 'overtaking' so on the right side of the (solid) line. So question is, would my misdemeanor for illegal overtaking and crossing solid line be overlooked due to the attempted hit and run?

I did not get a reg number but would recognise the car again.
    Now I'm wondering if there are security cameras on that road that could be used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Spoon Fed wrote: »
    I was 'overtaking' so on the right side of the (solid) line.
    Close call and all that, you'll be learning the rest of your life, but Theirs a reason for a solid while line coming up to junctions and the like - YOUR SAFETY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

i'm sure she's claim that you were driving on the wrong side of the road.. would she be correct in saying so ?

Not at this part of the road. The road widens from the junction with plenty of room to drive down it without needing to be close to the line.
    She came at me to knock me down.

Yes, I am on the wrong side of the road technically. (aren't motorbikes always when filtering?)

I will remember the car next time.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd say that you making a claim that she aimed for you will be dismissed as she didn't actually hit you and you were in her lane in the first place.
    If it's not safe to overtake/filter you shouldn't have been in that lane at all.
    It crappy but this is what I think will happen if you report it.

Not at this part of the road. The road widens from the junction with plenty of room to drive down it without needing to be close to the line.

Yes, I am on the wrong side of the road technically. (aren't motorbikes always when filtering?)

I will remember the car next time.....

without making a massive argument here, i just need to point out that its ok to filter, unless there is a solid white line, and its only ok to filter if it is safe to do so.

You crossed a solid white line....
    Yes, the woman should have taken action to avoid you.
    if an accident would have occured.. you would have been in the wrong.

edit.. also, she could claim that you swerved at her.. how else would you end up on her side of the road. (presuming she doesnt understand filtering)

I agree on the reporting side of it.

But you know as a biker when it is safe to filter coming into a junction and when it is not.

If you know where this took place, at the end of Rathmines road coming into portobello, then you know there is ample room to filter right up to the lights.

No bike would sit in the traffic there waiting like a good boy observing the rules of the road. I mean no bike does or has, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I agree on the reporting side of it.

But you know as a biker when it is safe to filter coming into a junction and when it is not.

If you know where this took place, at the end of Rathmines road coming into portobello, then you know there is ample room to filter right up to the lights.

No bike would sit in the traffic there waiting like a good boy observing the rules of the road. I mean no bike does or has, ever.

because you've watched every other road user and no bike obeys the traffic laws ??? :confused:

Seriously - if you were on the wrong side of the road after crossing a solid white line you are getting no sympathy, the driver either didn't see you or maintained her line in order to frighten the sh1t out of you because you were driving illegally.

most bikers experience a car/cager "holding their line" at some point ...just out of interest - what are you driving ? do you have a full-licence ?
    this morning I had the closest shave in my 5 years riding.
    Filtering down Rathmines road coming up to the lights at portobello brigde, a car came around the corner from the canal. She came around the corner wide so I started to move in to the stationary traffic. She however continued to come down the road close to the centre line. The road at this point is quite wide so I suspected she was coming at me. However, how close she got to me was atrocious. I had to lean into the cars on my left to avoid her glancing off me. I was in complete shock and continued on my way. Only after did I entertain the idea that I should have gone after her and asked her why she attempted to murder me. Or I should call the police and report her.

EDIT: ok...so from reading your post I can translate it into this:

" I was filtering around traffic close to a corner/junction and as I was driving on the wrong side of the road a car came around the corner and nearly hit me..... it must have been the cars fault because I was doing what I do all the time and what I see other bikers doing all the time"

I think everyone has told you already - you were driving badly and should try to fix your bad habits before you are involved in an accident....none of us want you in an accident the advice we are giving is for you to LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKE - take more precaution when driving.

Yamaha Fazer, full licence.

I ride this route every day, and have never seen any bike sit in the traffic coming into this junction, ever. (in fact they are usually coming up the bus lane)

By the way, are you suggesting that it is ok to try and take a bike out because it is driving illegally?

I suppose it one way of removing 95% of motorbikes from the roads.

" I was filtering around traffic close to a corner/junction and as I was driving on the wrong side of the road a car came around the corner and nearly hit me..... it must have been the cars fault because I was doing what I do all the time and what I see other bikers doing all the time"

no, no, no, you need to read my post again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Frightening the sh1t out of people you consider to be breaking the law is not the job of the public. It sounds like OP shouldn't have been there but there is no excuse for her behaviour. There is an obligation on road users to do everything in their power to avoid an accident and this includes not deliberately driving at people even if they are on the wrong side of the road.

@Spoon Fed

Report the matter to the Gardai.
    And i dont mean by phoning them, Make a written statement of complaint with a view to going to court.
    The other driver will be asked to make a statement as well.

Based on what information /allegations are in each statement, summons's could be issued to one or both drivers.

If you feel that you are completely in the right, and have nothing to fear.. do that , and let the judge decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Overtaking on a solid white line is illegal, I know you were filtering but still...

I certainly wouldn't be going to the gardai to report this, you had a very cheap lesson...a fright but no injuries. She'll get hers someday, karma's a bìtch.

Yamaha Fazer, full licence.

I ride this route every day, and have never seen any bike sit in the traffic coming into this junction, ever. (in fact they are usually coming up the bus lane)

By the way, are you suggesting that it is ok to try and take a bike out because it is driving illegally?

I suppose it one way of removing 95% of motorbikes from the roads.

I'm not suggesting that its ok to take a bike out because its driving illegally - what I was saying was that you will get cagers/cars/vans/trucks etc .... who will hold their own line and stay on their side of the road if they see someone coming towards them on the wrong side of the road....basically like playing "chicken"...its down to the driver (some drivers are a$$holes....and some drivers cant see that sometimes they are at fault)

This is possibly the solution .... and in this case its what you should have done !! ... there is a junction where cars will "blindly" turn the corner not expecting a vehicle to drive against them....this is the reason why the other bikers come up the bus lane because it is dangerous to filter/go on the outside when you will be faced with oncoming traffic at any time.

Ps. Motorbikes are not allowed drive in the bus lane either (if you didn't already know)

By all means if it happens again - get the details of the driver and report the matter but without trying to sound (more) like a pr1ck ...be prepared for the gardai to question why you were crossing a white line and driving on the wrong side of the road so close to a junction.

She deviated from the normal road position to come nearer to me to knock me down.
    I did not swerve into her path, there was ample room for her to pass, and the more I think of it I was probably the right side of the line after I swerved in to avoid getting hit!

PCPhoto wrote: »
    because you've watched every other road user and no bike obeys the traffic laws ??? :confused:

Seriously - if you were on the wrong side of the road after crossing a solid white line you are getting no sympathy, the driver either didn't see you or maintained her line in order to frighten the sh1t out of you because you were driving illegally.

most bikers experience a car/cager "holding their line" at some point ...just out of interest - what are you driving ? do you have a full-licence ?

I think everyone has told you already - you were driving badly and should try to fix your bad habits before you are involved in an accident....none of us want you in an accident the advice we are giving is for you to LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKE - take more precaution when driving.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate the advice. I admit I broke the law this morning, true. I also realise I was nearly knocked over by a driver who wanted to knock me over deliberately. I will certainly be adjusting the way I ride in future.

By the way, do you drive a car? and if so what is the make and colour and where were you this morning at 8.45?

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I would have turned around and kicked the sh1t out of her cage, but that's just me.

and what would you have done if she went to the gardai and asked them to charge you with criminal damage*

*(assuming your kicking the sh1t out of her cage did some damage - I don't know your strength)

Spoon Fed .... 8.45am..... would have been driving back from Baggot street to Ranelagh after dropping the girlfriend to work... wine Ford Fiesta Van... doubt it was me ... didn't encounter a bike.

Just so you know I also have a 125cc Moped and the girlfriend has a 650cc Bandit...I am VERY bike aware on the roads...maybe the driver was just an ignorant sh1t.... there are plenty of them out there who will drive towards a bike to "teach them a lesson"

and what would you have done if she went to the gardai and asked them to charge you with criminal damage*

*(assuming your kicking the sh1t out of her cage did some damage - I don't know your strength)

Spoon Fed .... 8.45am..... would have been driving back from Baggot street to Ranelagh after dropping the girlfriend to work... wine Ford Fiesta Van... doubt it was me ... didn't encounter a bike.

Just so you know I also have a 125cc Moped and the girlfriend has a 650cc Bandit...I am VERY bike aware on the roads...maybe the driver was just an ignorant sh1t.... there are plenty of them out there who will drive towards a bike to "teach them a lesson"

Agreed, and have encountered them, this time though it was way too close for comfort and hence my post to vent about it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'm on a black bike, my leathers are all black and my number plate is tiny. good luck proving it was me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'm on a black bike, my leathers are all black and my willy is tiny. good luck proving it was me :)
    Hehehe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I'm on a black bike, my leathers are all black and my number plate is tiny. good luck proving it was me :)
    Im on a black bike,my gear is all black,my number plates tiny and ive got the same helmet.Now they,ll come looking for ME when you smash up someones cage:eek::eek::eek::eek: ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

pa990 wrote: »
    If you feel that you are completely in the right, and have nothing to fear.. do that , and let the judge decide.

I wouldn't bother, it will be thrown out of court and will be as much hassle for you as for her.
    By filtering like you did you were breaking the rules and were in the wrong. In this situation two things are important to remember:
    1. Might is right
    2. People are a$$holes
    If you can't handle that you shouldn't break the rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

she must have had a biker overtake her earlier in her journey and is taking it out on you - i'm not justifiying it in any way at all, but fúck it, forget about it and move on - it's gonna happen again no doubt.

And, if there was a bus lane - you should probably be using it, not legal but it is overlooked and encouraged by some garda... and if you get caught in it, take the points & the fine, I know I would prefer the points rather than a cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Advocating violence/damage to personel property goes against the spirit of boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

jameshayes wrote: »
    she must have had a biker overtake her earlier in her journey and is taking it out on you - i'm not justifiying it in any way at all, but fúck it, forget about it and move on - it's gonna happen again no doubt.

And, if there was a bus lane - you should probably be using it, not legal but it is overlooked and encouraged by some garda... and if you get caught in it, take the points & the fine, I know I would prefer the points rather than a cast.

far as I know you can be fined for using the bus lane but not points. anyone know better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

She's one of these weak people who get satisfaction in enforcing rules on the road.
    She saw you filtering and decided to give you a scare.
    Get the hell back onto your side of the road she thought.

I would also bet she sits in the overtaking lane of any motorway and goes at 120km per hour. She's enforcing the speed limit you see.

And I'm certain if she comes across a pedestrian when the "red man" was on she'll keep driving and blow the horn. The pedestrian should have waited for the green man.

You can make a report but nothing will come of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

the exact same thing happened me yesterday coming up a red traffic light,,not nice to be facing and had me thinking me man in the car was deliberately looking for a claim cause i was just on the white line filtering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I would like to preface by saying:

1. I am a biker;
    2. A lot of car drivers are nuts.

But in this case the OP was on the wrong side of the road, while the oncoming driver was not.

Sorry, OP, but in my opinion you were 100% at fault, and while the oncoming driver (assuming she didn't see you) may have been close to you, she did nothing wrong.
    (If she did see you, then she of course has no right to enforce the ROTR by intimidating you)

To put the situation in perspective, what if you had been driving your bike close to the white line, and a car coming at you driving on the wrong side of the road nearly hit you. Are you then somehow at fault for not keeping to the left?

I am glad you are okay!

Advertisement