Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is My External Hard Drive Dead

• 27-04-2011 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I have a iomega 1tb external desk top hard dive that you plug into a plug and then usb to pc. All was fine until yesterday, the Hard drive would not show up on my pc or laptop. When i switch it on the light keeps flashing don’t stay on all the time just flashing. I did move the hard drive in a bag and taker it on the bus with me and this when the problem started.

Is my hard drive dead, is this game over.

I took the hard drive out its silver covering and did conected the hard drive to the rest of it, and when i plugged it in the light would stay on, when i connected the hard drive back then the light would just flash again.

Anyone any ideas on this?

Anyway of getting the info of the hard drive and put on another hard drive? Ive lots of music edited stored on this and it would take so long to do it all again.

Maybe i was wrong at the time to buy a cheap hard drive and put so much on, but you live and learn.

Any help suggestions be great please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

You might be able to access the drive with Linux and save all your files.

Use something like Parted Magic Boot CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Have you tried connecting it to any different PC's?

You could also try a live disk and try and access it from there. E.G. Ubuntu, or Linux Mint and see if you can access it from there.
    Failing that, it may not be the hard drive, but the actual enclosure, so you could try adding it to a PC that has an extra hard drive bay, or buy a dock, FROM EBAY or from PEATS etc.. and try it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Im hoping its just a power faliure.
    Looking into turning it into taking the outa case off and somehow connecting it to my pc with out the aid of the extra power source just the power of the pc.
    Like the idea of that hard drive dock, its something that would always be handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Problem solved

It was the power in the External Hard Drive case that was the problem.
    I got a Hard Drive dock as ive wanted one for sometime and placed it in and theres all me information.
    Next step to buy a new case and then back it all up on another hard drive.

Thanks to all who helped.

Advertisement