Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Student

• 27-04-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

I signed up to the UPC student deal and under that it said we would have to pay for tv and internet till April/May...... Can't remember the exact date but.,... I got a bill in there and yeah my internet is now not really being charged for but tv is still...

Anyone else hit this problem. When I signed up the internet and tv free for 4 mths was what sold me into getting UPC so if this is not correct I am going to be pissed.

Anyone help me here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Sounds like they messed up. Give them a ring and ask them to have a look at your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

But I am right in what I say yeah? That the internet and tv are free from May to the end of August right?

Just would like someone else to confirm this...Otherwise I will ring up tomorrow and check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

UPC's Press Release on the offer. It seems to confirm May - August is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Cheers mate..... will be getting onto them tomorrow so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hogansean2

same problem
    i rang up and typical cs were very unhelpful any quick to say i am wrong but i have seen another forum which ill link to you with same problem, a guy from upc john got back saying he would sort it out

im not letting this go so let me know how u get on with them on phone

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hogansean2

[UPC student offer problem
    Fuming after yet another epic call to UPC. Signed up to 30mb BB + Digital TV last September. The student deal at the time was free BB & Tv for the final 4 months of a 12 month contract. I can clearly remember going over the details of the offer with the person on the phone at the time.

The offer was spoken about by UPC Jason on bargain alerts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UPC: Jason
    Sign up now (before November 14th) and your broadband will be free next May, June, July & August. You can add digital TV and will also get that free for 4 months too when you take broadband.

30mb Broadband is available with this offer, and you will get a free wireless router also, meaning you can share the connection internally.
    & also in their press release here: http://www.upc.ie/pdf/Home.pdf

Notable parts:

Quote:
    Rhona Bradshaw, Head of Marketing of UPC, commented, “We understand that it is getting
    harder for students to make their budget stretch but broadband and TV are two services that most
    students just can’t do without these days. Our latest offer allows students to get the best broadband
    and digital TV services available for a full year while only paying for 8 months.”
    &

Quote:
    UPC Student Package Offer
    • New Students - Sign up for TV and Broadband for 12 Months and get Summer months for
    free
    So I paid Aprils bill over the phone earlier this month by Laser card and while doing so, confirmed that it would be the last month we would be billed. The lady on the phone said that we would still be billed for tv as it was only broadband which was free. I argued this with her from memory and informed her that she was incorrect. I did not have the press release or Jasons post in front of me at the time. She said she would look into it.

So this morning I get a txt saying that our account is in danger of suspension if we dont pay the balance of our bill. This confused me as first of all, we shouldnt owe anything and second of all, even if we did, we never received a bill.

So I ring them up and after 15 minutes on hold I get through to a human. She informs me that we owe 30 something euro for our TV package. I go through the same argument with her as last week. Although this time Im able to read to her directly from their literature. Infuriatingly, despite reading a direct quote from their head of marketing, from a press release on the offer, she still tells me I'm wrong. I get put through to a manager and he says that as far as he knows, TV is not included but he will look into it.

I spent 50 minutes on the call in total, and almost 40 minutes last week. It terrifies me to think how long I have spent on the phone to them over the 8 month contract. I'm genuinely not normally one to complain either. We have paid them almost 700 euro over the 8 month contract, and would have been willing to sign up again - but not now.

Has anyone else had similar issues with this deal?
    Last edited by Tusky; 28-04-2011 at 13:41.

28-04-2011, 14:01 #2
    UPC: Jason
    Verified representative

Adverts | Friends
    Tusky

Billing is not my area, but as you mention me directly in your post, I am happy to respond to you to assist.

Lots of people signed up to this student offer at various different times on different days over a 2 month period, so everybody will have different biling cycles. (so difficult to comment specifically without all the facts in your case)

I can confirm that if you signed up to TV and Broadband on the same day, you will get a full 4 months free billing cycle (the last 3 months) as part of your 12 month contract. If you are still experiencing difficulties in understanding your bill I would be happy to have a billing supervisor contact you directly. Please PM me your account number if you require this assistance.

Hope that helps

Regards

Jason

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

Rhona Bradshaw, Head of Marketing of UPC, commented, “We understand that it is getting
    harder for students to make their budget stretch but broadband and TV are two services that most
    students just can’t do without these days. Our latest offer allows students to get the best broadband
    and digital TV services available for a full year while only paying for 8 months.”

It's getting harder for the average Joe to make their budget stretch without having to pay for students, who should really be studying, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

"Paying for students"??

Have a look over your microeconomics there, particularly "market separation" will ya. Rest assured that UPC have this offer in the interest of profit maximisation (and to help encourage brand loyalty, just like the student banking offers):pac:

Advertisement