Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe place in Dublin at night?

Options
  • 27-04-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭

I'm new to the astronomy game, just got my first scope a couple of weeks ago.

Looks like there could be clear skies over the next couple of nights but I'm wondering where the rest of you Dublin-based astronomers bring your scopes in the city? I don't fancy the idea of the Phoenix Park after dark, it's hardly safe is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

try carton house inbetween leixlip and maynooth. dead handy off the n4

im gonna go there on friday evening to watch the shuttle launch.

you should go there for a walk in the grounds, and get to know the lie of the land. dont go in the dark on your first visit!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Another spot may be Tymon Park in SW Dublin. It straddles the M50 from Templeogue to Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Thanks for the suggestions. It's a real dilemma isn't it - if you don't have your own back garden there aren't many safe options for amateur astronomers in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Safe from Skangers or Asteroids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

emo72 wrote: »
    try carton house, im gonna go there on friday evening to watch the shuttle launch.

Can you just walk in there? Would it be OK to see endeavour at 9 tonight?
    Safe from Skangers or Asteroids?

Skanger asteroids

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'd be wary about Tymon park. Judging by the littered woodlands in the park (looks like people staying overnight) and the fact it's open to the public 24/7 (didn't know that, assumed they hopped the relatively low fences), I'd keep away from the place after dark unless anyone can confirm a safe spot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I may be wrong but I always though the Tempeogue end of Tymon Park was pretty quiet. Have walked through it myself a few times after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Tymon is a bit iffy. The templeogue end is often used by a certain group of people to blood in lurchers or greyhounds and they go lamping rabbits late at night. The park is infested with rabbits at the moment so its possible they might be in the park.

I don't know too much about astronomy but light pollution would be fairly significant in parts of the park with its close proximity to the motorway.

Theres a lot of open space on the grounds of Terenure college and I think the main gate is open 24 hours.

Also UCD would be safe at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Can you just walk in there? Would it be OK to see endeavour at 9 tonight?

Skanger asteroids

yea. its open to the public. dont be intimidated by the grandeur of it all, its your country:D so will i see a few people hanging around with scopes and binos?

park in the carpark and go on the walk thru the grounds well away from the house. and dont wait for till its dark so u can see your way.

Nice one Emo!!!! I never thought of going there. Ill be going there tonight so.

Most excellent :):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I wouldn't recommend Tymon Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Tenger wrote: »
    Another spot may be Tymon Park in SW Dublin. It straddles the M50 from Templeogue to Tallaght.

I wouldn't go near Tymon park after dark, and not with anything valuable like a big telescope.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

I used bring mine to all the big fields aroud Baldonnel, but its a lot more built up now than it used to be and its been years since I went gazing

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

If you have a car you could take the Ballinteer exit off the m50(5 mins from tallaght) and head up towards the dublin mountains. It's very quiet up there and there would no light pollution or scumbags about. I've went up a few times and it's been great, great views of the city aswel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Travel to Blessington, it's high up and you can park near the lakes and setup your telescope with nobody bothering you, and it's very safe, theres no scumbags or anything like that in the area and it's a 15min drive from tallaght.

And no light pollution.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

the road out of it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

might be scary monsters

Advertisement