Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mountain bike rebuild - advice needed

• 27-04-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a giant xtc4.5 and have recently come into possession of a specialized expert enduro dual suspension frame.

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/mountain/1410/29694/?collections_id=3

http://www.bikesdetails.info/Specialized_Enduro_Expert_2003.html

I'm in the process of moving all the components over to the specialized because the giant frame is too small for me. I was told by yer man I got the frame from that all the components should slot in pretty easily.

Now obviously, I'm having a couple of problems. This is the first time I've every tried a rebuild and I'm learning as I go. Have most of the tools, the time, the patience, and the woman is away for the week so the space to mess up the whole house! Only thing I am missing is a workstand, but I'll make do with what I have.

I've four areas/problems.

First off, the front derailleur seems out of place. It doesn't seem like it'll fit onto the frame and seems either too high to use the lower ring or to low to use the higher ring. Its a shimano deore on the front and a deore lx at the back. Pics attached. What do you think?

Secondly, all the gear cables had reached the end of their useful life and need to be replaced. Is this a doable project for a novice builder? I know there's plenty of videos out there but just hope I'm not bitting off more than I can chew.

Thirdly, the front shock, which I know is entry level and once I've cash I'll upgrade, needs rebuilding as well cause it's leaking lubricant. Just back from a weekend in Ballyhoura and it took a beating. What tools do I need for this job? What fluid do I need? Again, can someone of my ability do this?

And lastly, the rear hydraulic brake, Giant MPH, pads needed to be replaced and looks like the hydraulic is shot there so that needs to be serviced. How difficult is it to do this? I obviously need to buy fluid.

I know I can just pop this onto my local shop, but I want to do as much of this myself to learn basic maintenance, and if I make a balls of it, so be it. Can any components be transferred from Hardtail to Dual without problems or are they specific to the frame?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Nice bike - those older Enduros were nice frames. Watch that seatpost though. If you're running the saddle that low, the bottom of the post could hit the shock under compression (with hilarious results...). Chop it if necessary.

The front mech appears to be the correct model, although it's mounted a bit too high. Loosen the bolt and slide it down a bit.

Changing the cables is pretty straightforward. Make sure you use a good cable cutter and follow the advice on the Park Tools website for checking the correct length for the cable housings.

Fork servicing is a reasonably advanced job - can't really advise on that one. What's the worst that could happen? You could do with a longer fork on that frame though.

Changing pads and bleeding brakes is easy enough. I haven't dealt with MPH brakes so am not sure exactly what bleeding procedure to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Good call on the seatpost I hadn't noticed that. Just looking at it now it's about half an inch away from the shock. That could have been nasty.

I'll buy some cables and brake pads and give it a lash so. Might see if I can pick up a better fork on adverts so. Thats the least of my worries at the moment, I just wanna get the bike roadworthy.

Front mech still seems suspicious to me but I'll go with it.

Stupid question, should I put the chain on, before or after the gearing cables are on? And an even stupider follow on question, I separated the chain fully using a chain break, pin came out etc. Seems quite difficult putting the pin back in. In fact, it's wrecking my head. Was this the wrong thing to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

acurno wrote: »
    roadworthy.

:cool:
    Stupid question, should I put the chain on, before or after the gearing cables are on? And an even stupider follow on question, I separated the chain fully using a chain break, pin came out etc. Seems quite difficult putting the pin back in. In fact, it's wrecking my head. Was this the wrong thing to do?

If it's a Shimano chain, the pins aren't supposed to be reusable. You'll need a new joining pin. If it's another brand, you shouldn't push the pin the whole way out. Leave it slightly in the outer link and bend the chain to separate. This makes it a lot easier to reattach. Bear in mind that you might need a different length of chain on the Enduro - once again check Park on how to ascertain proper chain length.

Set the limit screws on the front and rear mechs before installing the chain or cables. Cables next. Then chain. Finally, adjust the cables/indexing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Only thing I am missing is a workstand, but I'll make do with what I have.

You're welcome to borrow mine for a while if you're based around Cork. Makes a difference if you have one.

Cheers for the offer, am up in Galway though. A bit far to travel I do be thinking! Wish I had one though, I'm gonna hold out for one of those Lidl ones when the offers come up again. It is a pain in the hole though trying to balance the bike against chairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

And lastly, the rear hydraulic brake, Giant MPH, pads needed to be replaced and looks like the hydraulic is shot there so that needs to be serviced. How difficult is it to do this? I obviously need to buy fluid.

Brake pads for Giant MPH are the same as Shimano Deore if they look like this...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35412

Bleeding the brakes however can be a bit tricky - on my son's XTC 4.5 we had to remove the brake levers to take the top off the reservoir - it's really a two man job - one holds the brake lever and reservoir level while the other injects the fluid from below - DOT 4 I seem to recall.

Yea their the ones. Far cheaper than the ones I bought yesterday. Must remember that link. I'll leave the brakes so until I have some help.

Just finished cabling up my derailleur system. Proud of my achievement!!

A lot done, more to do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Is the old frame for sale? I've just found a crack in my frame and need another to keep me going. Pm me if it's for sale

Advertisement