Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about landlords. .

Options
  • 27-04-2011 11:08am

If a landlord is listing the house they rent out as their primary residence. . so all mail still comes to the house they are renting out - are they avoiding tax on income?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

to me it would seem they are trying to remain uncontactable. is the property listed with the PRTB

Nope, it sure isint! Ive checked it loads. . and I emailed our landlord telling her she should be but I never got a reply.

I was just wondering as my landlord is constantly in and out of our house collecting her post. . (I know she shouldnt be, we'v said to to her on numerous occasions. .)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

well then - she is a scum bag tax dodger quite simply :mad: we need all the money we can get, shes no better than people working while on the dole!

rat her out and move out!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LuckyMe63

Put 'return to sender' on the mail and give it back to the postman.
    You can report to PRTB and NPPR - but if the house isn't listed then expenses on the house can't be claimed by the landlord either.

Whose names are listed on the bills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

if the landlord is claiming to be living there ,she still has to pay tax on rental income ,unless the rent is under ten k per year.for example she maybe living with a relative ,who claims living alone allowance ,so she may not want to use her relatives gaff as her primary residence.
    It would not annoy me,as long as shes not waking me up , or taking my mail, but i,m an easy going bloke, theres many reasons for doing this ,not connected with tax .
    I,d be more concerned about social welfare fraud,theres loads of english people , claiming irish dole ,etc

• Advertisement

LuckyMe63 wrote: »
    Put 'return to sender' on the mail
    great idea.

also though not entirly legal some of those letters are most probably from the bank or tax office, a PPS number and an letter to the tax man should ruin his day. but like i said opening post not addressed to you as far as i know is not legal.

also if bills are in your name then report him to the PRTB and also revenue providing proof that you actually live there. they should then contact the owner to get them to clarify the situation.

LuckyMe63 wrote: »
    Whose names are listed on the bills?

When we moved in in september, she made us change all the bills over into our names. . so awkward . . So bord gais & UPC are in my name.

(We're college students btw)
    ricman wrote: »
    if the landlord is claiming to be living there ,she still has to pay tax on rental income ,unless the rent is under ten k per year.

It is under €10,000 . . it works out as being €9,600.
    Faolchu wrote: »
    also if bills are in your name then report him to the PRTB and also revenue providing proof that you actually live there. they should then contact the owner to get them to clarify the situation.

How do I go about reporting her to the PRTB? Ive looked on the website. . is it mail or by phone only?

We are due to move out at the end of may, and I probably should have looked into this further. . It's just she has been the landlord from hell . . and I can see her taking most of our deposit in spite. . Oh and I'd like to add that she dosent have a BER certificate for the house either...

How do I go about reporting her to the PRTB? Ive looked on the website. . is it mail or by phone only?
    both i would think, post without your address means it cant be traced back to you though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

As ricman alluded to, your landlord could be claiming the dole and saying that she's living at that address in order to avoid deductions against her payment in respect of the value of the house, or money her spouse (if any) is earning. If you suspect her of dole fraud you should report her to your local office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Faolchu wrote: »
    both i would think, post without your address means it cant be traced back to you though

enforcement@prtb.ie ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

As may not be known the landlord may not be doing anything illegal or avoiding tax. A lot of wild conclusions are being made here.

A friend of mine has moved 7 years and never bothered changing their address and so his post still goes to his sister's house. He is not claiming residence nor avoiding tax to do so.

The PRTB is notorious for not updating their website so you don't know if she is registered or not unless you ring and ask and even then they might not be able to tell you. Not even sure they have to register if it is not for a full year either.

Ultimately it doesn't affect you so why do you care, would you report a tradesman if you suspect he was avoiding tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Ultimately it doesn't affect you so why do you care, would you report a tradesman if you suspect he was avoiding tax?

I'm sure the answer to that will be a definite YES from most posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

SteoL wrote: »

Damn straight I would because that kinda of attitude is way we have so many cowboy Landlords in this country. People never bother to check if the tennacy is following the letter of the law until it directly effects them and that frankly is just not good enough as we're not going to see the major overhaul of the current system thats badly needed until people do.

Am I going to go running around the country looking for tradesmen avoiding tax? No just like I'm not running around looking for all the half assed Landlords in the country trying to pull fast ones but if it's a tradesman I'm dealing with on an going basis and have a year long contract with then yeah I'm going to check. It doesn't effect the OP? Yes it does as they are doing direct business with this person so they should be aware of what type of LL they are in business with as it could effect them if they ever need to apply for something like rent allowance or when moving out and looking to get their deposit returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Never mind the tax issue, you have a "right of quiet enjoyment" (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Quiet+enjoyment) of your property whilst you are living there. Having a landlord constantly round picking up mail is a nuisance that breaks that "quiet enjoyment". This is not a matter of courtesy (although it is that too), it is a matter of law. On those grounds you may insist that the landlord doesn't call round more than X times a year. For me, that X would be maybe 2 or 3 times a year. There is absolutely no way I would put up with this from a landlord.

SteoL wrote: »
    It maybe "yes" but a lot less likely thing people would do after they get the work done:P

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Mine is here every saturday picking up the rent and doing jobs in the garden and have sometimes a small talk together
    Some times they are here together for almost the whole day not inside but outside
    They have a big shed at the back of the garden and just renovated it with a fitted kitchen and bathroom
    Now with the good weather last week shes almost every day at the place with their two children
    Not hoping they will do this the whole summer
    Live here for 5 years without any troubles now but

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

can the OP change the locks on the doors?

who_ru wrote: »
    No. Not without giving the landlord a set of new keys.

There is no mention of entering the property without permission either. Collecting mail or rent once a week would not be considered a breach of anything either. Every day would would be considered excessive. Again no mention of this.

The original question was are they up to something illegal or dodgy and the simple answer is there is no way to know and it is wild assumption to say otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

who_ru wrote: »
    Provisions regarding tenant’s obligations
    16.—In addition to the obligations arising by or under any other Obligations of enactment, a tenant of a dwelling shall—
    (l) not alter or improve the dwelling without the written consent Pt.2 S.16 of the landlord
    17.—(1) In section 16—
    ‘‘alter or improve’’, in relation to a dwelling, includes—
    (a) alter a locking system on a door giving entry to the dwelling...
    You are not allowed change the locks, however the landlord is well out of order using you as their private PO box, they have no entitlement to do this. Once a week, even once a month is way above what I would consider reasonable for a landlord to inspect a dwelling. It may be their property but it's your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

I would recommend getting in contact with Threshold. I had to use them once when i had difficulties with my landlord. They were fantastic and will even speak to the landlord on your behalf. They informed me of all my rights and gave me a plan of action. And the landlord soon changed his tune when they got involved!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

When we moved in in september, she made us change all the bills over into our names. . so awkward . . So bord gais & UPC are in my name...

I would assume thats normal? No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mine is here every saturday picking up the rent and doing jobs in the garden and have sometimes a small talk together
    Some times they are here together for almost the whole day not inside but outside
    They have a big shed at the back of the garden and just renovated it with a fitted kitchen and bathroom
    Now with the good weather last week shes almost every day at the place with their two children
    Not hoping they will do this the whole summer
    Live here for 5 years without any troubles now but

Seems weird why would they do that?

Just ask them to not to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

When we moved in in september, she made us change all the bills over into our names. . so awkward . . So bord gais & UPC are in my name.

(We're college students btw)

You're college students? you're not exempt from having bills in your name, thats normal, if you are renting. Personally I'd recommend a different person takes each bill.
    Does the landlord keep a room there, ie stay there or was it let under the condition that they were letting rooms to you?

Advertisement