Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog aggression

• 27-04-2011 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Lately one of my dogs (oscar the older dog just gone 3) has become very aggressive towards other dogs in the dog parks ect he just wants to start a fight with all of them if they come near him its only in the passed 3months he used to be so playfull and happy in the park. he also is fine when were just out for a walk and hes off the lead and he meets other dogs its only really happening in dog parks or big inclosed greens! the other dog loves them cause she cant come off the lead any where else and i cant bring one without the other cause i no that will make it worse with jeslousy!

Can anyone think of a reason why this would be happening all of a sudden?

im going to bring the two dogs to training with the king of paws up in the dspca when there is space! but im worried he might get aggresive at the training classes!!! he gets on great with dogs that he knows and people. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

sophie1234 wrote: »
    Lately one of my dogs (oscar the older dog just gone 3) has become very aggressive towards other dogs in the dog parks ect he just wants to start a fight with all of them if they come near him its only in the passed 3months he used to be so playfull and happy in the park. he also is fine when were just out for a walk and hes off the lead and he meets other dogs its only really happening in dog parks or big inclosed greens! the other dog loves them cause she cant come off the lead any where else and i cant bring one without the other cause i no that will make it worse with jeslousy!

Can anyone think of a reason why this would be happening all of a sudden?

im going to bring the two dogs to training with the king of paws up in the dspca when there is space! but im worried he might get aggresive at the training classes!!! he gets on great with dogs that he knows and people. :mad:

The dog is 3 years old so is well past the fear impact stage and all young imprinting is done.

The only thing i can suggest is either a situation happened previously that you may be unaware / aware of that has given oscar the idea that these dogs in this particular area are a threat.

Can you think of any incident where they met that could have triggered this even if the meeting looked innocent or friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Galway K9 wrote: »
    The dog is 3 years old so is well past the fear impact stage and all young imprinting is done.

The only thing i can suggest is either a situation happened previously that you may be unaware / aware of that has given oscar the idea that these dogs in this particular area are a threat.

Can you think of any incident where they met that could have triggered this even if the meeting looked innocent or friendly?

not that i can think of no.
    the only thing i can think of is maybe we got another dog back in sept/oct and she happy as anything to play in the dog park dp you think he could be being protective of her? would that sound like something that could cause it? hes netured but she isnt and she had her first heat about 2months ago could it be anything in connection with this?

what does this mean? (sorry maybe a silly question i just dont get it :confused::D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

what does this mean? (sorry maybe a silly question i just dont get it :confused::D)

Its not a silly question, as part of the development of a pup, they go through different stages in their development. The fear impact is the most vital as this can determine the nerves throughout lifes (takign genetic make-up into account)

The new dog sounds like the issue alright as its the same time this began and dog has been good until then....The best appraoch without knowing the full details is to convey the message to Oscar that he's not that protector of the other dog or you but that you are. PM if you require more info documentation.

Regards

Galway K9

Its not a silly question, as part of the development of a pup, they go through different stages in their development. The fear impact is the most vital as this can determine the nerves throughout lifes (takign genetic make-up into account)

The new dog sounds like the issue alright as its the same time this began and dog has been good until then....The best appraoch without knowing the full details is to convey the message to Oscar that he's not that protector of the other dog or you but that you are. PM if you require more info documentation.

Regards

Galway K9

thanks so much! very helpful just what i thought i just now need to figure out how to deal with the issue! thanks a mill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

im going to bring the two dogs to training with the king of paws up in the dspca when there is space! but im worried he might get aggresive at the training classes!!!
    Don't worry too much about that. Your dog will be on a lead for much of the time at the class. Just explain to the trainer beforehand about your concerns and he will give you some specific help and may even advise that you arrive a bit beforehand so he can assess your dog.
    He won't "expel" your dog from the class for being aggressive but he might suggest some additional separate training to handle it.

thanks! ye i thought he would be on the lead hes done training before but it wasnt very good so ive herd this one is good so might give it a try with the two together! hope it helps!

Advertisement