Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom Broadband

• 27-04-2011 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hi All

JUst looking for a bit of advice re: Smart Broadband 10MB broadband

I moved into a new house at xmas and got round to sorting out broadband in march.

There was a phone line in the house which was inactive and I signed up to Smart because they were offering to activate the phone line for free whereas Eircom wanted silly money for it (€100).

Signed up to the €39.95 a month package which was for 10mb download speeds with 170GB cap. (http://smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/more_details/Home_Value_10Mb.aspx)

Since the install I have never seen over 5mb on the line with most of the speedtests ranging from 1mb to 3.5mb

I complained to Smart and eventually they advised that the line was capable of a max speed of 5.5mb.

After complaining, the tech support guy (very decent lad) offered €30 compensation and to move me onto the lower package with 5mb download and 170GB cap which would help me get a constant 5mb speed....

Great i though except the 5mb package is exactly the same price!!!
    a lower product because they cant give me the package they offered but still the same price!! I dont think this is good enough and i have told smart this also.

Their response was that I am in a 12 month contract and the T&C's state UP TO 10mb...This is ok i understand that they have me over a barrell here and i was happy to move down to the 5mb package but not for the same price!
    I have checked with Digiweb and Eircom and this regularly happens with their customers but when they downgrade the package there is also a price decrease involved...

Any opionions? am i screwed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is how it works with pretty much all the DSL operators now. They give you the fastest your line can handle, but charge the same amount regardless of what you can get. The only distinction is sometimes when you go from 10Mbps to 20Mbps. Up to 10Mb (even if you can only get 1Mbps) is all the same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

neacy69 wrote: »
    I have checked with Digiweb and Eircom and this regularly happens with their customers but when they downgrade the package there is also a price decrease involved...

Interesting. Especially as Digiweb own Smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Yup ... same everywhere .. ADSL is a consumer product with "Up to" in the description.

I had 20 meg here in Holland, then it went down to 18, then my neighbour got it and it went down to 12, all the while i'm paying for 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Interesting. Especially as Digiweb own Smart.

Thats what I thought! ...

I understand that the T+C's cover them when it comes to ''UP TO'' 10mb...If the line they installed/activated cant handle it then there is nothing i can do..

But my gripe if with them offering me the 5mb package for the same price seeing as they cant offer my the 10mb package.
    Surely a different product with lower download should have a different price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I can't see any mention of a 5MB product in Smart's products.

It's possible that they may have switched you to a product that they no longer advertise, of course. Those products were all pricier than the €39.95, afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Does anyone know does smart telecom allow any traffic over their network..torrents etc?

Advertisement