Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Grinds?

• 27-04-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I know there is a sticky about offering grinds, but I just had a general question. I'm a university tutor and can teach a few of the leaving cert subjects. I was wondering would students, generally, be interested in Summer Grinds?

I've been giving grinds for a few years now and felt as though that during the academic year they're far too busy with other homework and activities to fully commit. This has bothered me in the sense that the student's parents are usually forking out 30-40 euro per hour for something the student doesn't really want to do, and is frankly too tired after school to do.

Would having grinds over the summer be helpful, at all? I was thinking of trying to cover at least one paper of each of the subjects I can teach (Irish, English and Maths), so that they can focus on the second paper in their sixth year.

What do ye all think?

R

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Going to bump this it! Not soliciting, here, just looking for advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

I think definatley for maths but more for revision of 5th year stuff and start on the things which are left till late in the year of 6th year .....usually sequences and series and all that..... But I don't really know about the new course!

For Irish I wouldn't be to sure but it would be handy for getting things learned off but I think at the mo most people in my year find that they will forget what they have learned off (essays and stuff) within a month or two. I do think it would be handy for oral and aural though......... Especially now that the oral is worth loads more!

English well I think paper two preparation I know that that is what I am panicking about now...... Prepare the 2/3 modes for the comparative and may be finish poetry! Like that's alot of work done and takes alot of stress off. Also maybe writing essays and seeing what type they are best at!

I know that if I was offered grinds I would probably do one or two during the summer....... It would have taken alot of stress off now!

Anyway good luck!

Advertisement