Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultegra/Sora/Tiagra etc....

• 27-04-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

all the different types of shimano components.....were they all designed around the same time and just sold as different specs like a car, or did they start with a basic such as 105 and then release the upgraded components after time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

They are different quality groupsets with a huge variety on price. Mainly weight and materials change (and some other marketing terms) as the price goes up (and weight goes down).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i know about the components monti, what i wish to know is, were they are designed/released for sale around the same time, or have they been brought out over time with dura ace being the latest release?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

As far as I know they are all designed together and each year there is a new (refined) version of the previous year model. The Dura-ace name for example goes back to 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

All introduced at different times. With each range under going incremental changes. For instance Tiagra has been 9speed up until now, it will be 10 speed from next year.

The newer 105 (5700) has hidden gear cables. The older 105 (5600) doesn't.

Here's a mountain bike history: http://www.mombat.org/Shimano.htm

A time line from shimano: http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_corp/en/us/index/about_shimano/timeline.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

i know about the components monti, what i wish to know is, were they are designed/released for sale around the same time, or have they been brought out over time with dura ace being the latest release?

They tend to be released on their own schedule, without much rhyme or reason, but also any advances and stuff 'trickle' down to the lower groupsets.

So Dura Ace used to be the only groupset that had hidden cables for Shimano, whereas now Ultegra and 105 have it. They have common ancestry, but are build to different price points so use different materials etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

thanks lads, just a random question i had in my head :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I've just fitted sram shifters and mechs to my bike. I can no longer see any appeal for Shimano or Compag (both of which I've had).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lemag wrote: »
    I've just fitted sram shifters and mechs to my bike. I can no longer see any appeal for Shimano or Compag (both of which I've had).

11 speed and/or electronic shifting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I can no longer see any appeal for Shimano or Compag (both of which I've had).

Why? Just curious as I've only ever used Sram.

Edit: By the way didn't you have a Microshift groupset on one of your bikes? How would you rate it?

Lumen wrote: »
    11 speed and/or electronic shifting?
    Fair points. I didn't expect you to bring this up though Lumen.
    Why? Just curious as I've only ever used Sram.
    The lightness and the comfort.
    Edit: By the way didn't you have a Microshift groupset on one of your bikes? How would you rate it?
    Awesome!! The shifters would be an absolute steal at €160 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fair points. I didn't expect you to bring this up though Lumen.

My priorities have changed recently. I'm just waiting for Shimano to release radar-guided electronic braking and then I'll be right in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I read that as Microsoft shifters!!
    There coupld be an apple microsoft war yet in cycling...we'll all forget about sram and shimano!!
    Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    My priorities have changed recently. I'm just waiting for Shimano to release radar-guided electronic braking and then I'll be right in there.

From what I have heard, you probably just need stabilizers.

Sorry, titanium stabilizers with ceramic bearings.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Sorry, titanium stabilizers with ceramic bearings.
    Or carbon

Advertisement