Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility Vehicle

Options
  • 27-04-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm heading for Perth in the very near future to work as a carpenter, I have a Van here but I'm thinking a Utility Vehicle might be more appropriate for Australia, especially as i have the girlfriend with me.

I'm just wondering if any1 has a similar story to tell, or if any1 just has advice they might have heard from friends.

My van here has extra locks on it to stop the knackers ect. from getting into the back of it and taking all my tools. Whats it like in and around Perth, would a Utility vehicle of some description be secure enough to keep tools safe and sound? if so does any1 know of a suitable make or Model i might not have came across yet?

Also finding it hard to find a yes or no to this next 1,
    Can I buy, and drive a car with my Irish licence, or do i have to convert it to an Australian one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Two options

a custom lockable tool box

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOhE2tCfgc7obkM8K__1gV0srp1dJZ2DWjgrz1otUc-blVKpBd

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXQ4bYKjaNBcbLbnGEJhRG02x5k2pOKDuJzViRsTGE_F4-ZHPW

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZLI6XQMelFndHg8FXBxxsS_HrByRO7XlX15qRZlKkEgK9_X9J

or a hard top UTE

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh-0UcveRDG32f6KlWmjxLVLKncEZlQ7thXPGqTsJeDPlnhKK6

maloo03_L_700.jpg

88f210e57153c75b52474cab7210175c_resized.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i think a Ute is compulsory for tradies over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's more expensive to buy over here but the same it's not worth bringing something over. You have all the hassles and costs of importing and then people won't want it when you want to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Those tradies chests are expensive. And I have only ever seen the hard top on newer utes, which can be expensive too.

Depending on your budget a van would be better value. Unless you want a ute that is a dual cabin. Most utes over here still have the soft top which wouldn't secure your tools. A lot of them have built in tool boxes.

Less knackers over here stealing tools but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Great Wall have a ute for AUD 15,000 or so.

• Advertisement

Sure you can always sell it, plus remember stuff like that is all claimable for work in your tax return.

ballooba wrote: »
    Great Wall have a ute for AUD 15,000 or so.

Yeah there was already a thread on that, mahatma coat said it was like somthing out of one of those kinder surprise eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

mandrake04 wrote: »

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh-0UcveRDG32f6KlWmjxLVLKncEZlQ7thXPGqTsJeDPlnhKK6

maloo03_L_700.jpg

88f210e57153c75b52474cab7210175c_resized.jpg

Mmmm Mmmmm
    SEXY!
    Nothing like a Beut UTE!
    Always been partial to the look of a Holden Rodeo! ;)

While I would object to the OPs usage of the term "Knacker." I think (now Im no expert) that it is possible to get some form of hard top for most UTEs post production. Many builders back in NZ in the 80s and 90s hard raised up hard tops that somehow locked onto the top of the tray.

UTEs are dead handy when camping out or upto anything else due to the amount of stuff you can throw in the back of them, and they drive well off road! Also most Kiwi/Ozzie vans have windows on the body (similar to people carriers) which you would need to cover over, unlike Irish vans that have panels instead of windows

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Should be handy enough cover over windows. And if you can get 1s with soft backs I'd nearly just ply line the inside and put a door and a lock on it.

Those Ute's in the pictures are well tasty. I should add tho that I'm hoping only to spend around $5000. Just to start me off and until/if I get a permanent visa. I would assume I'd have to be there a good fee months before they'd start dishing out car loans to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

NoelAPM wrote: »
    I would assume I'd have to be there a good fee months before they'd start dishing out car loans to me!

Not necessarly, When I moved from NZ to QLD in 2000 I only had to provide a deposit (which came off two credit cards, 1 NZ 1 Ozzie) and got a loan from the car dealer within a few months of arriving! Interest was a little high but I was able to pay it off early and avoid some interest. (Unlike my Irish car loan! Grrrr) Granted I was in a "permanent" job with a reasonable wage and employment prospects.

• Advertisement

Those HSV Maloo are mad, 6.2L V8 has 411 ponies and just takes the light from your eyes.

Advertisement