Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my cousin wants to go to RADA/Mountview Academy Of Theatre Arts??

Options
  • 27-04-2011 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone smile.gif

Right,so basically I've got a 16 year cousin who is doing her Junior Cert this June. She's doing TY next year meaning she'll be about 19 when she leaves school.

She REALLY wants to be an actress when she's older and is hoping to apply to the big drama schools in London like RADA or The Montview Academy Of Dramatic Arts. She is even perfectly willing to move to London in order to attend which I think is pretty amazing. She's obvs very passionate about it!

I have a couple of questions though so I thought I might aswell ask on her behalf and then pass the advice onto her

1.She doesn't know whether she should go to college first or move to London after secondary school straightaway and apply for drama school. she's afraid that by the time she leaves college she'll be too old and she kinda wants to get into acting young if that makes sense. But she obviously wants something to fall back on too so what should she do? Go to college,get qualifications and then drop out and then go to London. I don't know what to tell her confused.gif

2. She thinks she'd like to have to be in EastEnders for a bit,but she doesn't want to be a soap actress for the rest of her life. She just wants to go there cos she loves the show and think by being on it she'd get recognition. Ideally,apparently she wants to do a lot of TV work and theatre too. Should she,after traning school maybe sent a letter/email to EE team with her details,CV,headshot,etc..

3. She's been reading up on RADA and The Montview Academy Of Theatre Arts. She wants to go to either one of these because she thinks it'll look impressive on her CV and she's more likely to get jobs that way. Does anyone know anything about the two and which should she apply for. Any tips?

4. When she's doing TY next year,they're doing either "Emma" or "Kiss Me,Kate" Should she auditon for the main role in order to get some experience.

I'm sorrry,that's a lot of questions but I'm sure my cousin would be grateful if someone could answer smile.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thats alot of ambition but like all things, start with small steps. :)

First thing I would encourage her to do, if she is not doing it already, is join an amateur drama group. Its important for her to get into practice and to familiarise herself with theatre. Many drama school students are members of amateur groups too.

With regard to the course she does, thats up to her. If she studies in Ireland but has aspirations to go the UK, then she should check her qualification is recognised in the UK too. Similar if she studies abroad she should check the qualification is recognised here etc.

Getting into soaps isnt easy, but if she has a proven track record performing on stage she may be recognised if shes good enough. Youd be amazed at who you might find in the audience of an amateur production.

Advertisement