Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to antifoul every year if on the hard for winter?

• 27-04-2011 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Looking to see where we can save a few quid and was wondering if I need to antifoul the hull every hear?

Boat is on a saltwater mooring from May to September having spent October to May on the Hard.

Was antifouled last year and after spraying down when the boat was lifted out the hull is pretty clean and very little of the antifoul was removed.

Have changed the anodes and can lift/trailer the boat out once a month to spray the hull down but not sure ifs just a case that antifoul goes off and needs to be done every year.

Help meh pls :)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I would do it every year and what you save in fuel will pay for the paint. Some say that drying out kills the paint and some say that while the paint is on the boat it's working,but the paint company say it has a lifespan of a year.
    You could use coppercoat anti-fouling it's about 3 times the price but will last 10-15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

if the boat was not taken out to be power washed, what would the hull come out like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Don't know what your hull is made of, but I know that we can get at the most 2/3 of the season out of our antifouling (fibreglass hull), but once we lift out and power wash once, there will be massive growth on the hull within four weeks. Powerwashing strips a lot of the antifouling off.

We absolutely have to do it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

'our' boat was antifouled, and stayed in the water from april til october, wasnt lifted out+powerwashed and even shellfish(!) appeared on the hull (fibreglass)

Advertisement