Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green area to run on

Options
  • 27-04-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any public green areas that might be good to go for a jog on?. I dont really fancy running on concrete after a recent injury so a public pitch or something would be ideal.... was thinking about the rugby club but i'm sure thats private

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Rugby Club pitches are good, gaa club, around the spine road

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Theres a field up behind the astro pitches at Jackie Skellys. Its usually empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Rugby Club pitches are good, gaa club, around the spine road

have you used them before?... i thought these pitches would be private...
    also where is the spine road?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

You might try the running track at Charlesland Sport & Recreation Park. It's a much softer surface than concrete. They will charge you a small fee for access if a club doesn't have it booked.

I used to see people jogging on the rugby club pitches all the time, however, that was before the running track and other new facilities were built in charlesland. Not sure if GRFC is still happy to have people jogging on their land.

The spine road refers to the road around the main green in the Charlesland estate.

yeah the running track is an option but is used quite a lot.... the rugby pitch would be ideal but i guess i would need to ring them....

• Advertisement

Mullie wrote: »
    Theres a field up behind the astro pitches at Jackie Skellys. Its usually empty.

how do you get to it?... do you need to go into the entrance at the astro?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

jobless wrote: »
    how do you get to it?... do you need to go into the entrance at the astro?

There are two different footpaths to that field. One starts just before the astro pitches when you enter the carpark. The other one starts near the playground and winds its way up (the field is up rather high above the rest of the site).

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

You can run in the Rugby Club, they don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Best run in the area IMO is up the cliff walk. Early in the morning on a sunny day is magic up there. (Well if you can use magic and running in the same sentence)

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Best run in the area IMO is up the cliff walk. Early in the morning on a sunny day is magic up there. (Well if you can use magic and running in the same sentence)

looks like a bit of a killer.....especially as i'm only starting i doubt i'd make it past the harbour :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Neither the Rugby club nor GAA club have ever minded people running on the pitches, that is unless attitudes have changed in recent years.

thats good to know.... whereabouts is the gaa club?....
    i guess i should probably ring them first though before i turn up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Next pitch to the Rugby club

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Not really necessary, there does still exist some small town courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

sagat2 wrote: »
    Neither the Rugby club nor GAA club have ever minded people running on the pitches, that is unless attitudes have changed in recent years.

I second that as i have been down a few time is recent weeks.

Advertisement