Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can one fail maths and do arts?

Options
  • 27-04-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I know that it's nigh on impossible to fail ordinary maths, but I'm just wondering if it's not an entry requirement for arts, because it's a pain in the ass as it eats into my honours subjects

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Take a look at the entry requirements for each course within arts here:
    https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/arts.ezc?pageID=1222.

I think Mathematics & Economics are the only subjects where you need LC Maths as a matriculation requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Probably not as an entry requirement for arts, but, correct me if I'm wrong, do you not fail the LC if you fail maths? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

aine92 wrote: »
    Probably not as an entry requirement for arts, but, correct me if I'm wrong, do you not fail the LC if you fail maths? :confused:

I don't think there is such thing as 'failing the leaving cert' now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

dyl10 wrote: »
    I don't think there is such thing as 'failing the leaving cert' now.

If you fail English I think you fail the leaving cert. Unless you have some exemption for dyslexia etc... You'd have to be pretty stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

There is no maths requirement for Arts. My advice: Drop down to Foundation and pass that. I did Foundation maths and I am in UCD. Arts, Law and Social Science are courses off the top that accept Foundation maths.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I don't think you can fail the leaving cert, regardless of whether you fail English, Irish or Maths.

I have a friend who failed Honours Maths and is currently doing Economics (and History) in 1st Arts in UCD currently, so I'm not sure if you need to pass maths to do economics. He's doing the OL paper in Maths this June as an external student, as he says he wants to pass OL because it would look bad applying for an economics job with a fail in maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

El Siglo wrote: »
    If you fail English I think you fail the leaving cert. Unless you have some exemption for dyslexia etc... You'd have to be pretty stupid.

I failed Higher Level English and I was only doing six subjects. I still got an offer from UCD because if you get three Cs in HL subjects then you're allowed to count an E in a HL subject (or some rule like that). Got it rechecked and got a D2. This was in 2003 so things might have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

I was under the impression that failing any of the core subjects (maths, english, irish) was a fail in the LC, thats why foundation is offered in those subjects.

Maybe you can fail the LC and still go to college

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I have a friend who failed Honours Maths and is currently doing Economics (and History) in 1st Arts in UCD currently, so I'm not sure if you need to pass maths to do economics. He's doing the OL paper in Maths this June as an external student, as he says he wants to pass OL because it would look bad applying for an economics job with a fail in maths.

Ah you're right, it isn't mandatory for economics, just recommended. I reread the requirements on the prospectus and it says this:
    We recommend, however, that students should have obtained a minimum Grade HC3/OB3 in Mathematics in the Leaving Certificate or equivalent.

Do you mind me asking how your friend is getting on? Must be tough to do Economics when maths isn't your strong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I know UCC Arts and UCD Law were both exceptions to Maths as a matriculation requirement prior to the changing of the arts entry system. Now I believe that depending what subjects you choose UCD Arts allows a student without Maths too.

The vast majority of degrees require a pass in maths to get in though.

• Advertisement

Slippers wrote: »
    I failed Higher Level English and I was only doing six subjects. I still got an offer from UCD because if you get three Cs in HL subjects then you're allowed to count an E in a HL subject (or some rule like that). Got it rechecked and got a D2. This was in 2003 so things might have changed.

I was going by the NUI matriculation requirements;
    For entry to all degrees, English, Irish, and four other subjects in the Leaving Certificate (GCE/GCSE or other acceptable qualification) are required.

[Source]

UCD could be different though, I know a chap that failed French, didn't get into UCD and ended up in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

Page 13 says a student can use a HL E in one of those subjects if two or three of their other grades are good enough.
    Compensatory Mechanism

One Grade E in any subject at Higher Level will be accepted if the
    candidate has among his/her other subjects three Grade C3 awards on
    Higher Level Papers or at least one Grade B3 and one Grade C3 on
    Higher Level Papers in the Leaving Certificate.

Slippers wrote: »
    Page 13 says a student can use a HL E in one of those subjects if two or three of their other grades are good enough.

I stand corrected! :pac: I was too lazy to read the whole document. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Ah you're right, it isn't mandatory for economics, just recommended. I reread the requirements on the prospectus and it says this:

Do you mind me asking how your friend is getting on? Must be tough to do Economics when maths isn't your strong point.

He's getting on fine, as far as I know. In first year, he only does four economics modules (Principles of Micro, Principles of Macro, Quantitive, and economics and society - I did both Micro and Macro with him!). He failed Quantitive though, but as far as I know he can compensate it! I was in his maths class in secondary school, and he wasn't bad at maths, and he says he only failed it by 2% or something in the leaving cert! I heard that Quantitive was supposed to be fairly easy though, but maybe if you're not mathematically-charged it is challenging.

I have another friend in 6th year who has Theoretical Physics down on his CAO if he doesn't get medicine. He does pass maths. Now that is sheer madness ( I think ). TP's do the same 1st year maths modules as Maths Science and Actuarial students, as well as applied maths modules (he doesn't do applied maths). If he can't manage honours maths then they'll be quite a shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Yes, I know someone doing Arts who got an E in Ordinary level maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

A friend of mine failed Higher English and he didn't get computer science because of it so he had to repeat just English and reapply.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

spagboll wrote: »
    I was under the impression that failing any of the core subjects (maths, english, irish) was a fail in the LC, thats why foundation is offered in those subjects.

No, you just need to take the subjects, you don't have to pass them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Gae wrote: »
    No, you just need to take the subjects, you don't have to pass them.

You don't even need to sit the exam in Irish to get into lots of ITs, DIT for example (you are required to go to Irish class though, unless you fall into one of the exemption categories).
    spagboll wrote: »

Maybe you can fail the LC and still go to college

But what would failing the Leaving Cert mean then? There's no such thing as failing the Leaving Cert anymore.

Advertisement