Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do so many get a second chance?

• 27-04-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

OK, maybe this is a naive question, but why do dopers like Rebellin (back off suspension today), Ricco and DiLuca get second chances and re-signed by teams? I know that experience counts for a lot, but given the bad PR they clearly attract, would teams not prefer to sign one of the many up-and-coming young fellas that can do the job for them.

Yeah, naive......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Not if they put the sponsors name at the front of a stage better than an untrusted young rider!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Results matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's no such thing as bad publicity (unless you're Gary Glitter)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Also, if you were to adopt the approach of one offence = end of your cycling career, then other sports would have to look at a similar approach or else be seen as being more lenient towards, or accepting of, doping. That doesn't mean that lifetime bans shouldn't be introduced, of course, just that it may have repercussions outside of the sport of cycling too which may apply different pressures when deciding whether it is the way that cycling should go.

Of course that is a separate discussion to the one of whether a team should morally employ a rider that has been caught doping, if allowed to do so, but if the sport itself allows that then I see no reason why a team shouldn't actually do so. Personally I lose respect for a rider that has been proved to have doped and regret to see them joining teams that I do have respect for, and I think that longer bans should apply, but that's a separate discussion too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Advertisement