Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPv6

Options
  • 27-04-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Hi... I called a while back to ask what your plans for IPv6 are. I understand that there is no immediate rush for consumers, but the CS person I spoke to didn't even know what I was talking about.
    Any better information here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

gerryk wrote: »
    Hi... I called a while back to ask what your plans for IPv6 are. I understand that there is no immediate rush for consumers, but the CS person I spoke to didn't even know what I was talking about.
    Any better information here?

Hi gerryk

yes I suppose it is possible that the CS person may not be aware of this however eircom are currently trialling new addresses internally where there is a ‘dual stack’ that provides both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses to ensure that customers will be able to get to Internet content which hasn’t upgraded and can no longer reach IPv4 addresses. This information will be provided to all agents once fully formatted. I hope this answeres your query and thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Tony

Hope this helps.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hi Tony... it does.
    Has a decision on customer allocations been made yet? I already have a /48 allocation, so would I be able to utilise this instead of getting my allocation via Eircom. Also, I am assuming that customers will be receiving a network allocation (/64 or thereabouts) rather than a single address for their router, and some sort of 6to4 mapping internally.

Hi Tony... it does.
    Has a decision on customer allocations been made yet? I already have a /48 allocation, so would I be able to utilise this instead of getting my allocation via Eircom. Also, I am assuming that customers will be receiving a network allocation (/64 or thereabouts) rather than a single address for their router, and some sort of 6to4 mapping internally.

Afraid I don't have any information on that at the moment gerryk :confused:although will ask and post here when I do recieve this.
    Tony

Hi Tony... it does.

Hi gerryk
    No definite decision has been made yet on the size of IPv6 customer assignments.
    IPv6 products are still to be defined and any info provided at this stage would more than likely be subject to revision..
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Thanks for that. It is understandable that much of your policy is still as yet undecided. I am aware of plenty of companies who are still in the decision making stage.
    Do you have any indication of the timescale involved? I'm not going to take it as binding, if you do :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. It is understandable that much of your policy is still as yet undecided. I am aware of plenty of companies who are still in the decision making stage.
    Do you have any indication of the timescale involved? I'm not going to take it as binding, if you do :)

not at this time gerryk. I have asked to be update as soon as this info is available and hope to be able to post details here at that time.
    This info will be released in time to avoid any user problems:) and allow any adjustment for IPv6 to be made.
    Tony

Advertisement