Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best port forwarding DSL router

• 27-04-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I have a standard eircom P-660HW at the moment and can't seem to get it to port forward. If I am to buy a new router to get this working, I would like to buy one that does the job first time. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just want to be able to view a DVR remotely.

Also, should I get a static IP address, or does DynDNS.org work well?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

The trick to port forward on them is to make sure the overall firewall on the router is set to Low. You may also need to reboot the router after you have everything set up. I had my DVR hanging off mine and it worked once I changed that setting.

You don't need a static IP address. DynDNS works fine. I've used it for a number of years with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Hi Zith,

Thanks for the reply. I tried it on low and then I turned it off completely. It didn't work either time. I don't know if the router is working well though as it takes around ten minutes for it to get the WAN connection back after a reboot.

I may reset it to factory and give it another go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

I did have it working but to be honest I got rid of that router for other reasons, such as it rebooted regularly and would take 2 mins to come back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

What router do you have now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have this router : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPAC-7800N-Broadband-Wireless-N/dp/B002TOKGL8/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

It is very expensive but it forward ports in a flash with no need to adjust or tweak it's firewall. I'd recommend it. The only downside of it is the price but it might be worth it if you are interested in configuring it to your own personal needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Your eircom router should be capable of port forwarding anyway. Any router is able to do that. To me it looks like you are doing something wrong.
    Maybe check out this site for help:
    http://portforward.com/

If you really really want to change your router, there are a lot of cheaper options:

For instance: http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-adsl-router-77S0.html?q=tplink

This model is also available from Amazon. While I don't have this model, I am extremely happy with TP-Link.

Advertisement