Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budweiser Ice Cold Index

Options
  • 27-04-2011 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

http://www.icecoldindex.ie/

What do you guys think of this?
    Would it get you into a pub?

Basically the hotter the day the cheaper the pint.
    16 degrees C = €1 off
    18 degrees C = €2 off
    20 degrees C = 1 free pint

Vouchers arrive once a day based on a temp taken at noon(?)

Can replies please not be about the merits of the beer itself and more around the focus to bring people back to the pub.

I must admit that I would be tempted to cross the threshold of a pub, on a hot day.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Thats an excellent idea but I wouldnt bother for Budweiser. Heineken, Coors or a Bulmers and I would be tempted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd have thought warm sunny days are the ones where people need the least encouragement to go for a beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd have thought warm sunny days are the ones where people need the least encouragement to go for a beer.

You get rainy day vouchers too ha.

On a weekend yeah no prob going to a few but on a weekday I would need to be tempted and this would swing it for me TBH

You get rainy day vouchers too ha.
    So you then have the temptation to wait and see if one or other of the vouchers arrives, whereas it's possible you would have just gone for a pint.

Out of interest, do you happen to know who is paying the €1/€2 off? Can the pub claim it, or part of it, from Diageo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I keep reading it as www.icecoldinalex.ie, which puts a competitor to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

It doesn't really say which pubs are open to the offer. I would doubt every pub in Ireland would be participating in it. Great idea though as I can see them doing well out of it as long as get a few hot days in this country!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Out of interest, do you happen to know who is paying the €1/€2 off? Can the pub claim it, or part of it, from Diageo?

The pub claim it all back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Android app doesn't work. Good idea, though. Hope they fix it.

And hey, free beer is free beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Dont think the offer is available yet, I don't know for sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

The App looks like it's still in development, no participating pubs listed yet either, can't find any info on their website either. Can't imagine it will be in too many places to be honest as it's a bit messy to run although in saying that the campaign will be useless if they don't reach a critical mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Hmmm nice idea to get people in and I will probably try it if I'm around Dublin the odd day but can't imagine it really taking off. The old Irish adage of "that seems like too much work"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

There must be a catch. I can't see pubs giving out free beer that easily. It must reach above 20 degrees most days of the summer, so you could potentially be getting dozens of free pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parry_Repost

Well the temp is measured at noon, similarly its limited to one a day per smartphone I would presume based on the app getting a code that expires after two minutes. The fact it asks for a pub code prob means once you enter the pub code Budweiser then pay that pub the required amount.

Clever idea really cause lets be honest if you get one free pint you would be tempted to have another. Also those drinkers that float me included would be more likely to go for a bud after starting with bud. Sound marketing really.

Blisterman wrote: »
    There must be a catch.
    The catch is that Diageo could knock €2 off the price every single pint of Bud right now and still make a handsome profit on it.
    It must reach above 20 degrees most days of the summer
    The thermometer in my back yard disagrees with you there. I'm sure they've done their homework on this.
    Clever idea really cause lets be honest if you get one free pint you would be tempted to have another. Also those drinkers that float me included would be more likely to go for a bud after starting with bud. Sound marketing really.
    Exactly. It's all about getting Coors Light drinkers to switch to Bud by undercutting the price, without making it look like that's what they're doing.

The catch is that Diageo could knock €2 off the price every single pint of Bud right now and still make a handsome profit on it.

Proof please?

Tuborg, I'm told on this forum, is being sold for €3 a pint in some pubs. Tuborg is made of pretty much the same stuff as Bud, and pretty much the same stuff as the lagers you can buy for €1-odd per can in the offies. Beer on this sort of scale does not cost very much to produce.

With any of the "premium" beers you're paying for the brand more than the beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Proof please?

Take Bud and Bavaria. Both are similar strength, neither have much in the way of hops so would cost about the same to manufacture on a large scale. Diageo probably have to kick a few cents per pint back to Budweiser for the use of the name.

If the makers of Bavaria can sell it for around 1 euro per can and presumably do so at a profit and Bud sells for around 5 euro for a pint in a pub, there's quite a bit of fat to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

guys can we keep this thread on topic and less about bud bashing? save that for AH.

Anyway,

my app seems to be broken or something, (it keeps saying "loading pubs" in the google maps view) but does anyone know how to find a list of participating pubs in munster limerick area?
    the website www.icecoldindex.ie doesnt really say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

It'd certainly get me in for a pint if theres a discount but saying that Bud would be my usual drink so probably of no real benefit to them :p

Like everyone else though I'm not seeing any participating pubs anywhere on the map.

I see one catch is that you can only get 1 voucher per day but its also limited to 4 vouchers in any 7 day period so if you get a week of great weather you're still only getting 4 vouchers so if you think theres 4 hotter days coming in the next week you may not want to use a 1 or 2 euro voucher and hold out for the free ones so maybe thats how they plan to keep it in check? (ie, hoping people use the smaller discounts in the ramp up to a hot spell then be locked out while it peaks and the free pints are on offer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    guys can we keep this thread on topic and less about bud bashing? save that for AH.

It's not bud bashing. You can substitute just about any mass produced beer in the examples above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I want an non novelty marketing app that shows you where you can buy real, proper beer regardless of the weather that day. Btw where better to bash the likes of budweiser than on the beer forum!

Btw where better to bash the likes of budweiser than on the beer forum!

Your own thread??

Tuborg, I'm told on this forum, is being sold for €3 a pint in some pubs. Tuborg is made of pretty much the same stuff as Bud, and pretty much the same stuff as the lagers you can buy for €1-odd per can in the offies. Beer on this sort of scale does not cost very much to produce.

With any of the "premium" beers you're paying for the brand more than the beer.

You said handsome profit. How do you think the shareholders would react to that? How many staff let go?

You are also paying fir the huge team of people that clean every line monthly etc. I do not see Bavaria etc doing that. I imagine that Tuborg can be sold at that price point due to economies of scale, based on the other beers. Also do you know the margins of the publicans? Are they willing to accept less on value beers than others? If so where is your ire directed at them??

Now I ask again what people think of the idea and app and not Bud itself or that nasty profit making company

You said handsome profit. How do you think the shareholders would react to that? How many staff let go?
    Depends how handsome a profit they want, I guess.
    You are also paying fir the huge team of people that clean every line monthly etc. I do not see Bavaria etc doing that.
    Even leaving other companies aside (and I'm sure Gleeson's get their Bavaria lines cleaned), the maintainance is shared with the other Diageo brands. Knocking a few quid of one of the five or so isn't going to make that much of a difference. Bear in mind also that the maintenance contract is tendered out to a third-party. If Diageo want to cut that corner a bit, they can offer it to someone else for less money.
    I imagine that Tuborg can be sold at that price point due to economies of scale, based on the other beers.
    Eh? It can be sold at that price because it's a value brand and they're not worried about it appearing cheap. They are worried about their "premium" lager brands being devalued, however. It's all about the brand and not about the beer.
    Also do you know the margins of the publicans? Are they willing to accept less on value beers than others? If so where is your ire directed at them??
    Not relevant to my point. In this promotion (I am told above), the €2 knocked off is absorbed entirely by Diageo. My point is just that Diageo can afford to knock this €2 off every pint, leaving the publicans' business untouched.
    Now I ask again what people think of the idea and app and not Bud itself or that nasty profit making company
    You did actually ask me above to explain myself, and that's the only reason I'm doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭squonk

I installed the Ice Cold App on my iPhone last night. I can't find the Bar Finder though. I thought it might have been locked out functionality until the voucher was unlocked but now I see it isn't.

Also, the guy says on the add that there's a voucher for a free pint included to get you started. I don't have that voucher in the bonus section at all, just a message to look in this space for vouchers over the summer.

Anyone else noticing the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Did you complete the registration? I think its only when you do that that you get the welcome bonus voucher. The registration form is under settings->view my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

The App for this is not available for Windows 7 phones. So I texted the Free Text number &got a reply stating that it's not available on my Handset, I then sent an email yesterday to enquire about when it would be available and I'm still waiting on a reply..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

There must be a catch.

There is - it's Budweiser ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭squonk

JohnK wrote: »
    Did you complete the registration? I think its only when you do that that you get the welcome bonus voucher. The registration form is under settings->view my details.

yup, I registered and it's showing that I'm registered but I didn't get any voucher. Strikes me that the app is still a bit dodgy... like the beer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement