Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budweiser Ice Cold Index

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sean2011

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah, that sort of non-argument only works on people who don't brew beer. If it was a big early addition there'd be bitterness; if it was a big late addition there'd be flavour. There is neither.

When the statement being debated is unequivocal -- "no other beer" -- it is entirely reasonable.

Not just down to the quantity. Variety and form of the hops makes a huge difference (as you will know). Using 'full' hops vs the various others forms has a definitive impact also. Despite this fact, just because Bud is slightly less hopped and saves a bit of money there means very little to the overall cost.

For the sake of the forum (and the original threat topic) perhaps it's best to leave this discussion for the moment.
    Perhaps we can agree that regardless of the economics and detail behind the scenes it is an interesting marketing strategy (certainly 'trendy' due to the use of an app and it sounds quite original) and will almost certainly be successful from a volume of sales point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Ooooh, the app store updated my iPhone version to 1.1
    Great, so I updated it and it now has a pub finder. Well...

It has 3, yes 3 pubs in the whole of Ireland listed on it.

Budweiser, you've done it again...

img0233.png

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Ooooh, the app store updated my iPhone version to 1.1
    Great, so I updated it and it now has a pub finder. Well...

It has 3, yes 3 pubs in the whole of Ireland listed on it.

Budweiser, you've done it again...

img0233.png

TBF if they put it down the country all the Social Welfare crowd would be having a field day with this:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

This looks like a con in the making. They should say where they are collecting data for the temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

This looks like a con in the making. They should say where they are collecting data for the temperature.

They do - from http://www.icecoldindex.ie/page/terms_of_use
    4. The value of the voucher will be determined by the temperature as recorded by the Met Eireann office at 12 noon on each day in that region (Leinster - Dublin Airport; Munster - Cork Airport; Connaught - Claremorris, Co. Mayo; Ulster Counties - Malin Head, Co. Donegal).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Anyone fancy heading to Dublin Airport with a hairdryer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

FFS why isnt there an easy list of pubs anywhere - completely pointless to have not had this from the start...

http://budweiser.fb.bradleyit.ie/indexfaq/BIC-Outlet-List.pdf ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

ciano1 wrote: »

perfect. you made my day.

all my locals are in on it, including the pub across the road. cant wait for the free pints to start rolling in :)

that said, my app is broken again (android desire HD, says no connection present, so cant update, even though ive wifi access and 3g, and it doesnt work on either,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

JohnK wrote: »

It even says that in the app itself. People really should read T&Cs of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Im lead to believe that a number of pubs have pulled out (I dont know if there included in the list) due to its difficult nature....... I don't know why they dont just send the reps around the pubs buying people pints like they did 4 yrs ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

People really should read T&Cs of things
    tl;dr

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

sean2011 wrote: »
    Not just down to the quantity. Variety and form of the hops makes a huge difference (as you will know). Using 'full' hops vs the various others forms has a definitive impact also. Despite this fact, just because Bud is slightly less hopped and saves a bit of money there means very little to the overall cost.

I actually thought that the point of the debate here is the fact Budweiser is brewed on such economies of scales employing disgusting short cuts (in spite of their marketing line) that it costs damn all to make/brew/chemically alter and as such it's easy to run a free pint promotion without materially hurting it's ability to make Diageo money.

The fact that they take all manner of short cuts and time saving exercises to make their beer is one thing; what they actually put into it is another entirely but the end result isn't plain nice atall.

I actually thought that the point of the debate here is the fact Budweiser is brewed on such economies of scales employing disgusting short cuts (in spite of their marketing line) that it costs damn all to make/brew/chemically alter and as such it's easy to run a free pint promotion without materially hurting it's ability to make Diageo money.

The fact that they take all manner of short cuts and time saving exercises to make their beer is one thing; what they actually put into it is another entirely but the end result isn't plain nice atall.

I would just love to hear any actual "Facts" supporting these statements.

All marketing is expensive business, they have obviously decided to use a significant portion of that budget to do this promotion instead of putting the money into ads, sponsoring tournaments and some of the other more established forms of advertising.

Also, everyone likes different things- while Bud is obviously not to your taste (and personally I'm not overly fond of it either) it is one of the top 10 most popular drinks in the country so obviously someone is drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

it is one of the top 10 most popular drinks in the country so obviously someone is drinking it.

The Sun "Newspaper" and X Factor are hugely popular too, that doesn't mean they're not rubbish, since when is huge popularity an indication of quality?

The Sun "Newspaper" and X Factor are hugely popular too, that doesn't mean they're not rubbish, since when is huge popularity an indication of quality?

Agreed, popular opinion does not make something true. However, I did not say that the end product was nice to drink. All I'm arguing is that there is no truth behind the supposed short-cuts during the process of brewing it!

The term quality has a number of meanings. To the millions of people who drink Budweiser around the world it is of good quality because it is what they want in a drink... They would not have bought it otherwise.

Well I'd argue that Budweiser is more a case of making people think that's what they want in a drink.
    The amount of people who will turn their noses at Dutch Gold and Tuborg, just cause it's cheap and therefore percieved as lower quality yet will happily drink the very similar tasting Heineken or Carlsberg, is enormous. I bet if you did a blind taste testing, most of them wouldn't know the difference.

From what I am hearing this is going to be down for the next few days.
    The download targets were 100's of times smaller than the actual download level. Obliterated the servers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

From what I am hearing this is going to be down for the next few days.
    The download targets were 100's of times smaller than the actual download level. Obliterated the servers

i uninstalled it, the app kept saying that there was no internet connection.

might try installing it again in a week.

Also.. if it gonna be down for the next few days, maybe they could stop running the ads

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

From Bud.
    The launch of the Budweiser Ice Cold Index Mobile Phone App only a few days ago, we have seen an amazing response from across the country as tens of thousands of you have rushed to download it. Unfortunately, the size and speed of this demand has resulted in a number of issues on our servers for some of you. This is a technological first for the drinks industry and while we did trial this technology in selected Irish pubs, some unwanted issues only occurred when the app went live. The Index campaign will run until the end of August, so we have decided to remove the App from the respective App Stores in order to carry out essential updating to our servers in order to cater for the huge demand throughout the summer ahead. For those who already downloaded it onto their phones, it will be beyond use for the moment. While we regret the inconvenience caused, we can assure our Budweiser Ice Cold drinkers that it will be fully operational as soon as possible. We believe we have taken all the necessary steps to ensure that the App will deliver on what it set out to do. As soon as the updating has been completed, we will notify our drinkers via the respective App Stores, our Facebook page and icecoldindex.ie

Hmmm, there doesn't happen to be good weather forecasted for the next few days does there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 spartacus 109

Already posted questions about this but sure il ask again anyway, can anyone please tell me how to download this app for a blackberry curve? Cant find it on Blackberry app world so don't tell me to look there, a link would be great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I would just love to hear any actual "Facts" supporting these statements.

There was several points made already in this thread to this effect. Sadly, I can't see either Diageo or AHB admitting to using any of them or other accelerated lagering techniques.
    All marketing is expensive business, they have obviously decided to use a significant portion of that budget to do this promotion instead of putting the money into ads, sponsoring tournaments and some of the other more established forms of advertising.

Marketing is only expensive if and when a company spends expensive. Running a phone app, sending out some posters/beer mats or media ads (Which they have to do anyway) and giving away a relatively modest amount of free pints is not going to cost a lot; this is the first and last question they'd have asked before they went with it. At most it will cost them 4 pints a week per drinker and only then it comes back to to regular drinkers who carry a certain phone et al who have well paid dozens of times over to begin with; that's a lot of boxes to tick off so it's a safe bet overall.
    Also, everyone likes different things- while Bud is obviously not to your taste (and personally I'm not overly fond of it either) it is one of the top 10 most popular drinks in the country so obviously someone is drinking it.

As Technocentral said, popularity is definitely not a sign or mark of quality. Just ask Midge Ure what kept Vienna off Number One :D

There was several points made already in this thread to this effect. Sadly, I can't see either Diageo or AHB admitting to using any of them or other accelerated lagering techniques.

I personally do not consider a 'Guilty until proven innocent' style of thinking / discussion particularly valid..

Agreed in relation to the marketing though, they aren't likely to be giving away many free drinks in reality. Probably a good ploy as lots of people will talk about it and perhaps a few will even try Bud because of it, but it will not cost them all that much after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

As Technocentral said, popularity is definitely not a sign or mark of quality. Just ask Midge Ure what kept Vienna off Number One :D

Losty, we've heard enough from you!
    Shaddap You Face!!

Cheers guys for taking a thread about a consumer idea and potential reason/excuse to support the pubs and turning it into a commercial beer bashing thread.

Not like this forum has many of those threads already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Cheers guys for taking a thread about a consumer idea and potential reason/excuse to support the pubs and turning it into a commercial beer bashing thread.

Thats how we roll around here.

Man all this thread bashing is making me thirsty

Would love a bud right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Did anyone else notice yesterday when it was at least 21-22 degrees the app was saying 15 degrees!!!

How do they measure the temperature?

• Advertisement

K3v wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice yesterday when it was at least 21-22 degrees the app was saying 15 degrees!!!

How do they measure the temperature?

From high on the rocky mountains obviously!

Advertisement