Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I5 2500k.. Should I bother?

Options
  • 27-04-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Well lads I`ve been trying my best not to jump on the sandy bridge band wagon but temptation is starting to get the better of me.

My current rig is: I5 760 OC`ed @ 4.2ghz comfortably
    noctua nh d14 cooler
    gigabyte p55a-ud4
    4 gig of corsair xms 1600 cl7
    asus 6970.

Now obviously this is a gaming rig so If I went the 2500k and oc`ed it to around 4.6 would I see any real time increases in gameing performance or is it more of a benchmark increase that is noticable .

I would hate to buy a new 2500k and mobo and find out that Im getting the same sort of gameing performance that my current rig is giving me...(which im more than happy with so far but future games will be getting tougher on the resources)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
    Dwighet

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'd be more likely to pick up an SSD if you don't have one. While you will see an increase of performance, it won't be worth the €300 that you would spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

deconduo wrote: »
    I'd be more likely to pick up an SSD if you don't have one. While you will see an increase of performance, it won't be worth the €300 that you would spend.

An ssd is the next upgrade...Just waiting on memory c to get in the new ones... Shouldnt be long now...

http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/120GB_OCZ_Vertex_3_SATA_6Gb_s_2_5_inch_Solid_State_Drive_VTX3_25SAT3_120G/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

dwighet wrote: »
    I would hate to buy a new 2500k and mobo and find out that Im getting the same sort of gameing performance that my current rig is giving me...(which im more than happy with so far but future games will be getting tougher on the resources)

If you're happy with it now upgrading makes no sense. It will be cheaper to upgrade if you wait until you current chip begins to struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Not really worth the money at this time. I would suggest a better GPU, but the one you have is already quite powerful (and new). Maybe get a second?
    (which im more than happy with so far but future games will be getting tougher on the resources)

Get the SSD, then wait until these future games materialise.

Monotype wrote: »
    Not really worth the money at this time. I would suggest a better GPU, but the one you have is already quite powerful (and new). Maybe get a second?

Get the SSD, then wait until these future games materialise.
    I hear ya:cool:
    The money would probably be better spent on an extra 6970/6950

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The HD 6000 series scale very well especially at extremely high resolutions. Adding a second HD 6970 is a very worthy upgrade if you're gaming above 1080p.

sink wrote: »
    The HD 6000 series scale very well especially at extremely high resolutions. Adding a second HD 6970 is a very worthy upgrade if you're gaming above 1080p.
    Ok.... my monitor is a 24" 1080 so would I still benefit from an extra card or would it be a waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Ok.... my monitor is a 24" 1080 so would I still benefit from an extra card or would it be a waste?

Be a bit of a waste considering you should be able to play all current games at 1080p with max settings. Upgrading is only ever worth doing if you find your PC can't handle the current crop of games at your monitors native resolution. You will still see a 50%+ bump in performance, but going from 55fps-80fps is not going to be that noticeable. Save your money till next year when an upgrade makes more sense.

sink wrote: »
    Be a bit of a waste considering you should be able to play all current games at 1080p with max settings. Upgrading is only ever worth doing if you find your PC can't handle the current crop of games at your monitors native resolution. You will still see a 50%+ bump in performance, but going from 55fps-80fps is not going to be that noticeable. Save your money till next year when an upgrade makes more sense.

No worries....Thanks for the advice:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Messerschmitt

Wait for Ivy Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

No worries....Thanks for the advice:cool:

ive been thinking the same as u :) maybey its a good idea to wait alright hmmmm lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

There will be 6 core processors coming in autumn.

You might want to wait for BD (Bulldozer) from AMD as well.

Advertisement