Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Hook on why he hates gaming !

Options
  • 27-04-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭

Might be worth a listen today at around 5pm. He is looking for people to join in live on air (mentioned on his twitter). Ive offered my services should he want them think Saber has too. But don't think ill be picked to go on air.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cool i'll definitely listen to this if i want to get my head wrecked by a mumbling old fat bastaard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i assume itll be the usual

- replaces good old fashioned running around
    - reduces human contact
    - turns kids into serial killers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hes a numpty anyway who cares what he thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 oneshotfinch

There's a picture of George Hook posing with the F1 for Schools team from our school. They recently came 6th in a global competition in Singapore. All 4 people on the team are gamers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't they get somebody that knows what they are talking about to talk about games? If you listen to a movie critic talk about films they'd get someone that actually has an interest in films. Likewise if you want to know about the middle east crisis you'd get someone who is an expert on middle east politics to talk about it. When they get experts or people with knowledge of gaming to talk about gaming I'll listen. If they are going to put old foggies on talking about the good old days or a women that thinks she is qualified to talk about games because her qualifications solely consist of being a mother of 2 then it's just thrash.

I expect the same old crap about murder simulators and the lack of exercise. We'll also hear about how it stunts social growth. How does that explain that I've made some good friends through gaming and met my girlfriend because of it.

Might listen in out of morbid curiosity.

• Advertisement

I think RetrO needs to ring up the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

surely this just means that he's going to talk about why *he* doesn't like games, rather than the merits of games in general

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

George Hook is a 70-year old relic who cries on the radio over cricket. Who gives a flying **** what he has to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

This will be worth a listen then, I'll wager he uses the term "gamestation" at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"I LOVE SKY!!!!!!"

sorry I hear George Hook and I instantly picture him ringing his shovel hands at the thoughts of being able to record live tv.

This should be a trainwreck of Joe Duffys Modern Warfare 2 show proportions, anywhere to listen to it afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Have indeed volunteered. We'll see if I get selected! Could be an interesting show - it probably won't be though...expecting to get riled up while listening!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I'd rather hear him jabbering on about rugby or his limp dick...well maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Have indeed volunteered. We'll see if I get selected! Could be an interesting show - it probably won't be though...expecting to get riled up while listening!

Fingers crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Definitely won't be listening. Such a concentrated level of cringe = headasplode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can't they get somebody that knows what they are talking about to talk about games? If you listen to a movie critic talk about films they'd get someone that actually has an interest in films. Likewise if you want to know about the middle east crisis you'd get someone who is an expert on middle east politics to talk about it. When they get experts or people with knowledge of gaming to talk about gaming I'll listen. If they are going to put old foggies on talking about the good old days or a women that thinks she is qualified to talk about games because her qualifications solely consist of being a mother of 2 then it's just thrash.

I expect the same old crap about murder simulators and the lack of exercise. We'll also hear about how it stunts social growth. How does that explain that I've made some good friends through gaming and met my girlfriend because of it.

Might listen in out of morbid curiosity.

I kind of wanted to go on but after reading that im too scarred i'd let ye all down :D

He wants normal people to go on air and chip in, as long as its not that girl who thought the Kinect was a headband.

Im not expecting the whole turns kids mental debate im just expecting that he just doesn't get it, in the same way i don't get why Rihanna is considered music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd volunteer but I'm knee deep in thesis writing and my ancient mobile phone is knackered and it's hard to hear anything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Cool i'll definitely listen to this if i want to get my head wrecked by a mumbling old fat bastaard

Brilliant!
    Helix wrote: »
    i assume itll be the usual

- replaces good old fashioned running around
    - reduces human contact
    - turns kids into serial killers

Well the first two are fairly legitimate in my opinion.
    I think RetrO needs to ring up the show!

Mr Hook does not need to hear about how overrated Final Fantasy 7 is.

Nah, seriously, can they not find one of us here (or a couple), maybe some with the more interesting jobs or hobbies to go on and talk about Shadow of the Colossus, the ending to Metal Gear Solid 3 even Flower (although it wasn't my cup of tea)?

Instead it will be soldier game this and GTA that.

noodler wrote: »
    Brilliant!
    Well the first two are fairly legitimate in my opinion.

MAYBE the running around part - though it is possible to strike a balance...just like I like writing, listening to music, playing tag rugby and soccer, and gaming - yet I manage to fit them around each other.

Social contact however, I will certainly disagree with. Internet means we can communicate via headsets with friends regardless of where they are. For a cheap night with friends, I get some over, get Dominos and drinks. LANs are great.

Also, I organise local tournaments where players have become friends. Same in the Dublin fighting game community. Plenty of events hosted around the country where there is banter and people have an instant bonding point and a common ground.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This is gonna be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

em Everybody else seems to know already, but what station will it be on?

• Advertisement

MAYBE the running around part - though it is possible to strike a balance...just like I like writing, listening to music, playing tag rugby and soccer, and gaming - yet I manage to fit them around each other.

Social contact however, I will certainly disagree with. Internet means we can communicate via headsets with friends regardless of where they are. For a cheap night with friends, I get some over, get Dominos and drinks. LANs are great.

Also, I organise local tournaments where players have become friends. Same in the Dublin fighting game community. Plenty of events hosted around the country where there is banter and people have an instant bonding point and a common ground.

Well I could go on about how athletic I am and how I had loads of friends in college but I just don't think it really changes the fact that gaming can contribute to the whole anti-social/fat thing.

I am not saying it is the sole cause or anything so simplistic, however, I think it is a fact that when I was a kid and there was nothing on the Network 2 or RTE1 then I generally went outside to my mates or kicked a ball around. Kids today never really have to get bored with the amount of games and constant internet access.

Obviously we can make a parental supervision argument here but I still think it is an issue even if the solution won't be found within the gaming industry.

I would love to ring in and say after playing GTA, I get the feeling to go out and ride hookers and then kill them and take my money back! Give him exactly what he wants to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Kadongy wrote: »
    em Everybody else seems to know already, but what station will it be on?

newstalk

http://www.newstalk.ie/

You can click the live video option to see his ignorance as it happens.

I would love to ring in and say after playing GTA, I get the feeling to go out and ride hookers and then kill them and take my money back! Give him exactly what he wants to hear!

"Yes George, after playing Pacman I ate a load of pills and thought there were ghosts chasing me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hates gaming, inactive kids, obesity, lack of exercise, watching junk, too much violence, should be reading

And btw, Sign up to Sky ;)

noodler wrote: »
    Well I could go on about how athletic I am and how I had loads of friends in college but I just don't think it really changes the fact that gaming can contribute to the whole anti-social/fat thing.

I am not saying it is the sole cause or anything so simplistic, however, I think it is a fact that when I was a kid and there was nothing on the Network 2 or RTE1 then I generally went outside to my mates or kicked a ball around. Kids today never really have to get bored with the amount of games and constant internet access.

Obviously we can make a parental supervision argument here but I still think it is an issue even if the solution won't be found within the gaming industry.

Some people will just find excuses not to run about. "Oh look, something crap is on TV. I'll just watch that" :) Think games are just a new scapegoat. We'll see if Kinect can make a difference (and get some good games!)

🤪

Some people will just find excuses not to run about. "Oh look, something crap is on TV. I'll just watch that" :) Think games are just a new scapegoat. We'll see if Kinect can make a difference (and get some good games!)

The whole WiiFit and Kinect thing makes me cringe.

Expecially that new Wii (or is it Kinect?) advert with the woman who had "no confidence or life" before she used the console dropped some lbs and regained her social life.

Talk about straight out lies

*I am willing to be corrected on this but is any sort of Wii workout sufficiently energetic to play a major part in any weight loss programme? I would surely have thought a 20 run would be more beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

We'll see if Kinect can make a difference (and get some good games!)

Could be waiting awhile! :p

This radio discussion rant cant end well when its called "why I hate gaming"

• Advertisement

ATTENTION:

If ANYONE here gets selected and somehow manages to work in "well they're no worse than Sky Boxes...."

I will give you a quite staggering ten euros via paypal.

Advertisement