Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Hook on why he hates gaming !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sin_J

noodler wrote: »
    The whole WiiFit and Kinect thing makes me cringe.

Expecially that new Wii (or is it Kinect?) advert with the woman who had "no confidence or life" before she used the console dropped some lbs and regained her social life.

Talk about straight out lies

*I am willing to be corrected on this but is any sort of Wii workout sufficiently energetic to play a major part in any weight loss programme? I would surely have thought a 20 run would be more beneficial.

Alot of the actual wiifit fitness games, are just like doing regular exercise, just not as intensive as a 20k run. Like doing step aerobics, squats, etc. It's the idea that it makes a game of it gets more people to do it. And that it's in the privacy of your own home.
    Ask a lazy kid to use an exercise bike and he'll most likely say no. Put a screen on it and give it a point system and achievements and he'll be on it all day. Yeah its like bribing the kid but he's still being active.

A kid that is lazy would still be lazy without games. If i didn't have games to play or anything on tv as a kid i would have just sat and read a book. Still wouldn't have been active but wouldn't have been frowned upon.

As for the kinect, as much i generally hate the music in it, Dance Central takes a lot of energy to play and is alot of fun.

As for being anti-social. Play any MMO and you'll meet people from all across Europe and further. I've traveled to the UK, Belgium and Norway to meet up with some of the people i play with. Just because you are socializing through a keyboard does not mean its not real socializing.

That said, everything in moderation. This will no doubt be alot of parents calling in that couldn't be bothered to actually raise their children complaining because they left them in front of the tv/console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I've often wondered about people who don't eventually grow out of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Never heard of the guy, so I've no idea what station he's from. Can you listen in online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Why? It's not just for kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

deathrider wrote: »
    Never heard of the guy, so I've no idea what station he's from. Can you listen in online?

Newstalk, 106-108FM. You can listen online on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

That's quite a lot of people you have to wonder about then.

Desire. wrote: »
    Newstalk, 106-108FM. You can listen online on their website.

Dead on. Cheers, mate. I'm always looking for new people to tell me that games have transformed me into a cold-blooded mental shell of a man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I find that attitude strange as we ARE the test generation in that regard and I have to be honest, 25 now and I doubt I'll ever really grow out of it - just be forced to play less and less.

Indeed.

What do you get out of it, as an adult?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Spending time thinking about that is a bigger waste of time than playing videogames.

Wait...going by your username...are you George Hook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Us people who played games grew up, so did the industry with us which now focuses more on a broader age gap and keeps us entertained as adults. A few years ago I never thought I'd be decent friends with people in multiple countries despite me not having a clue what half of them look like :D

Give me gaming over Facebook any goddamn day!

These shows always follow the same formula: Multiple people who are against gaming and vent some draconian views on it, a woman who reasons her arguments are valid because she's a mother (same ol', same ol' in every gaming discussion) and about 3 minutes allowed for a pro-gamer to get his point across while he's being mauled by the opposition.

I'll listen to it, as I do with most of these game debates.....................and get angry, as I do with most of these game debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sin_J

Go play Portal 2. The single player story and gameplay are a perfect example is what is good about gaming for any age.

Same kick I got out of it as a kid... Except with better graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Entertainment, social nights, escapism - same as I get from other forms of entertainment such as TV, films, gigs.

I also get an element of competition or co-operation...and it's an active form of entertainment rather than passive.

🤪

deathrider wrote: »
    Same kick I got out of it as a kid... Except with better graphics.

But it's not real.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Obviously we are old enough to have sex with hookers, kill them and take our money back!

doublefacepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

But it's not real.

Neither is watching tv or movies, whats your (bizarre) point?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

But it's not real.

Wait...WAIT! How did you find this information? Alert the local media......no! The national......better make it world media.

🤪

What do you get out of films, books or music as an adult? Have you moved on from them too? Games are just as relevant as any medium these days.

But it's not real.

Keep that in mind next time you're in the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

But it's not real.

Either is TV / Films or fictional literature.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lads, don't feed the troll George Hook

I smell a Trolls so ease up lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's escapism just like watching a film except that gaming gives me more bang for my buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Lads, don't feed the troll George Hook

I am the walrus.... I've often compared George Hook to a walrus before actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

But it's not real.

Meh, got said already.

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Neither are movies. You are an idiot or a troll, get lost.

Ease up, thats worse than what he was saying!

I think people's time would be better served reading and understanding more important things like astronomy or evolution. You will get more return for your time spent.

IamtheWalrus, with that name surely you would have learned from the Beatles that nothing is real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I think people's time would be better served reading and understanding more important things like astronomy or evolution. You will get more return for your time spent.

I do. I love reading about physics and cosmology. My brain has a strange ability to handle more than one interest.

Advertisement