Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Hook on why he hates gaming !

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

boobar wrote: »
    The other part of me says I'll spend hours on end playing Call of Duty, getting it in the neck from the wife.

Buy Peggle. Get wife hooked. Sorted.... unless she takes over the console.

I'm 28, been playing games since I can remember and not stopping anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 oneshotfinch

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm shocked at how well that show went and how positive it was.

Was expecting this:

Haha, I only just listened to Talkradar making fun of this around twenty minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

boobar wrote: »
    I'm on the fence here (so to speak). Used to enjoy playing video games when I was younger. I'm in my very late thirties now and am really considering getting a PS3. One part of me says, go for it, a games console, bluray player, and music system all in one.

The other part of me says I'll spend hours on end playing Call of Duty, getting it in the neck from the wife.

I suppose it would be useful to see what's the age profile of users on this forum, if they wanted to share it.

Should I go for it? Get the PS3? Grow fat? Go mental?

Swap the wife for a PS3 kill two birds with one stone.

Im 32 now and trying to turn gaming into a full time job, ill keep you updated on how that goes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Don't suppose there's a recording of this anywhere? Didn't see this thread until now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Don't suppose there's a recording of this anywhere? Didn't see this thread until now :(

You're really not missing much, mate. There was no real "debate" to speak of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

What do you get out of it, as an adult?

I play games for the stories, they are another media/way of telling stories and you get to play a part in them rather then just sitting passively watching or listening.

http://media.newstalk.ie/listen_live/popup

Go into this listen live, then select the archive tab and scroll down to The right Hook it was on just after 5 so it will be at the start of part 2.

Nothing controversial but still ok to listen to it was well played on the Twitter started off saying he hated gaming got people talking about it then asked why adults played games but once they came on he played the "what am i missing out on" role pretty well and actually sounded like he might seek out a game or two to try, even if its only golf with the grand kids.

Think he went up in many gamers estimations hopefully its not the last of the gaming slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Nollog

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm shocked at how well that show went and how positive it was.

Was expecting this:

Just on this, the body what checks to make sure kids can't get R-rated movies, M-rated games etc. in America did a check recently and in America, 33% of kids can see an r-rated movie in a theatre, 39% can buy an r-rated dvd, 40-something% can buy an "unrated" dvd, and 13% can buy an M-rated game.
    Next time you're faced with a titchmarsh, please show them these statistics.

here's an mp3 of the segment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Just on this, the body what checks to make sure kids can't get R-rated movies, M-rated games etc. in America did a check recently and in America, 33% of kids can see an r-rated movie in a theatre, 39% can buy an r-rated dvd, 40-something% can buy an "unrated" dvd, and 13% can buy an M-rated game.
    Next time you're faced with a titchmarsh, please show them these statistics.

This isnt a fault of the games/movie industry, it's the fault of the shops selling them and the kids parents buying them for their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

krudler wrote: »
    I play COD religiously and this is true in most cases, the French are campers :D

In Red Alert 2, the French unique unit was the Grand Cannon which was a campers dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭VonLuck

noodler wrote: »
    In Red Alert 2, the French unique unit was the Grand Cannon which was a campers dream.

Unless you employ the expanding base tactic where you keep expanding towards their base whilst building grand cannons all the time. Eventually you will have a number of cannons firing on their base!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just had a listen to is. Was pleasantly surprised at the open stance Hook had to gaming, quite impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just had a listen to is. Was pleasantly surprised at the open stance Hook had to gaming, quite impressed!

I honestly thought he was gonna have a right go but he actually seemed like he wanted to be educated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Ok, to out this debate to bed. I think adults should not be playing games like Alex Kid in Miracle world.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ok, to out this debate to bed. I think adults should not be playing games like Alex Kid in Miracle world.

2613316841_a767346d1c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Alex Kidd? you couldnt pick something thats at least current no? I havent played an Alex Kidd game since the Megadrive days. Go back to bed Methusala, we'll wake you up for your afternoon lunch of mashed up bananas and yogurt.

Nowt wrong with playing platform games at all either, Mario Galaxy 2 is one of the finest games of this generation of consoles, its age rating or target audience is irrelevant, its also bastard hard in places so its not like its aimed at young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I still like playing Double Dragon and all the old arcade / console games of yore.

They're challenging and fun, I fail to see what the problem is with an adult playing any sort of game..................unless it's a Barbie game, of course.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Should an adult watch a pixar movie?

I think alot of people need to wise up and **** off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Your arguments are invalid due to rampant ignorance. Just stop, you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Come back when you are educated on the subject.

What's wrong with Alex Kidd anyway? Because it looks cute and aimed at kids? Sure so is Toy Story 3 and Monsters Inc. but it doesn't stop adults enjoying them.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Should an adult watch a pixar movie?

I think alot of people need to wise up and **** off.

A pixar movie is something that comes along maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Adults go along and watch them because they are a bit of light hearted fun. Gamers don't just play games once in a while. They spend hours, consecutive hours, gaming, putting real effort into it. There's a difference is there not?

• Advertisement

A pixar movie is something that comes along maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Adults go along and watch them because they are a bit of light hearted fun. Gamers don't just play games once in a while. They spend hours, consecutive hours, gaming, putting real effort into it. There's a difference is there not?

Tell you what as an adult i think my time is much better spent gaming than your time is spent trying to carry out a really poor troll on a internet forum. Why would an adult spend that much time and effort showing other people he doesn't know what he is talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Because it's fun?

Listen, I've read all 12 pages and you're not adding any constructive arguments to back up your points.

You're like a child in the playground shouting "No way MY toy is better!". So indulge us, what are your hobbies we can take the p*ss out of? <feeds>

chin_grin wrote: »
    Because it's fun?

Listen, I've read all 12 pages and you're not adding any constructive arguments to back up your points.

You're like a child in the playground shouting "No way MY toy is better!". So indulge us, what are your hobbies we can take the p*ss out of? <feeds>

Ok.

Sport: Aids fitness.
    Science: Reading improves my communication skills and I learn lots of valuable things.
    Films: Someone has written a story and is portraying it onscreen.
    Drinking: Improves social skills.
    Playing guitar: Doesn't need explaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some has written a story

Sounds like you're not learning enough buddy :D

I wouldn't say it's more effort than playing sudoku, or any other logic puzzle or board game, or reading a book.
    Sure Pixar make a film basically every year by they way, but there's several companies like Dreamworks, even Disney's own animated films that are marketed towards children but are more than enjoyable by people of any age.

How is your issue somebody putting in real effort? it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Ok.

Science: Reading improves my communication skills and I learn lots of valuable things.

I wouldn't say drinking improves social skills, more like a social crutch for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ok.

Science: Reading improves my communication skills and I learn lots of valuable things. (Best way to improve your communication skills is by talking.......Yes I'm referring to online gaming here. It's not all "you suck" and expletives you can actually have a pleasant conversation with actual people while you both are doing something you're both interested in. The future is here!)
    Films: Some has written a story and is portraying it onscreen.(Same thing happens in games. Only difference is that it's interactive and not as childish as you think!)
    Drinking: Improves social skills. (Rrrrrrright)
    Playing guitar: Doesn't need explaining.(But please do. Are you practising by yourself? Alone, in a room? What are you practising for? I'm a gamer and I play drums am I suddenly only allowed to pick one now due to your reasoning?)

Why thank you for your response.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Playing guitar: Doesn't need explaining.(But please do. Are you practising by yourself? Alone, in a room? What are you practising for? I'm a gamer and I play drums am I suddenly only allowed to pick one now due to your reasoning?)

Why thank you for your response.

Playing guitar on my one means I am at least learning something, an art, a craft. It provides a form of escapism for me.

Ok.

Ok I play football, tennis, rugby and snooker basically any sport I can get my hands on.
    Science is your hobby? It's not really a hobby, but ok I'm glad you're learning valuable life lessons...
    Films, books, video games, music, all tell stories, doesn't matter a toss what medium you give credit to.
    Drinking improves your social skills? Well judging by this thread you're not drinking enough.
    Playing guitar. I play guitar, congratu-****ing-lations, woop a dee doo daa day.

You're still not making a point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

What about Beatles Rock Band. Is that an ok game to play?

Advertisement