Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Hook on why he hates gaming !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Ugh i hate trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Mindkiller wrote: »
    What about Beatles Rock Band. Is that an ok game to play?

Very good point. I'm not in favour of this rock band game at all. There are many musicians have hit out at that game. Why encourage people to play a computerized guitar when the real one is much better. I don't want future generations being experts at that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Playing guitar on my one means I am at least learning something, an art, a craft. It provides a form of escapism for me.

Then why (apart from trolling) are you picking on other peoples' escapism like yours is better?

I agree there is a bigger world out there than games, but it's just another form of escape and catharsis.

Also as a parallel point, do you not realise how many man (and woman!) hours of design and code and art go in to a game? Are you familiar with the intricate input process so we can enjoy the output?

Does anyone else want to raise the Games as Art argument or should I leave the worms where they are? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Very good point. I'm not in favour of this rock band game at all. There are many musicians have hit out at that game. Why encourage people to play a computerized guitar when the real one is much better. I don't want future generations being experts at that game.
    Dunno If I agree with that. I haven't actually played it but it seems no less valid a way of exploring the Beatles discography than watching a music video to me.

Of course, one could argue that the music video itself is a defilement of the artform as well.

The plastic guitar genre is pretty much dead now anyway so there's no real fear of people abandoning the real thing anytime soon. And some claim that it drove them to actually pick up a real guitar, even if most fail horribly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Ok.

Sport: Aids fitness.
    Science: Reading improves my communication skills and I learn lots of valuable things.
    Films: Someone has written a story and is portraying it onscreen.
    Drinking: Improves social skills.
    Playing guitar: Doesn't need explaining.

Gaming : aids relaxation and reduces stress after playing sports or working.
    Gaming : expands my knowledge of physics through physics based games.
    Gaming : Some one has written a story and is portraying it on screen
    Gaming : Improves my social skills through interacting with lots of different people from all over the world from all different back grounds rather than going drinking in my little social group that rarely changes.
    Gaming : Has thought me how to drum and will teach me guitar once i get the new Ubisoft game.

Gaming has also made me many many new interesting and diverse friends, taken me all over the world and entertained me for 28 years.

• Advertisement

Dunno If I agree with that. I haven't actually played it but it seems no less valid a way of exploring the Beatles discography than watching a music video to me.

Of course, one could argue that the music video itself is a defilement of the artform as well.

The plastic guitar genre is pretty much dead now anyway so there's no real fear of people abandoning the real thing anytime soon. And some claim that it drove them to actually pick up a real guitar, even if most fail horribly :)

Finally some agreement.

Finally some agreement.

Are you reading a different post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

George does realize gaming mean computer games and not snakes and ladders and the like, talk about a fat fish out of water, also that sky add hes does is false advertising as there's noway that idiot could work a toaster never mind a STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

FAT TROLL IS GETTING REALLY FAT

and seems to be trying to fly so trolling can be done from a higher horse....

Korvanica wrote: »

That's not nice.

• Advertisement

That's not nice.

Neither is your childish belittlement of gaming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone who says that computer games are only for kids really have no idea what they are talking about. You can not like them, that's fine. At least give a valid reason for it. You've not given any. Your looking at the (possible) downsides, without looking at any of the positives that others have mentioned in the above posts.
    Dunno If I agree with that.
    Finally some agreement.

:confused:

That's not nice.

Its not a direct insult on you and I apologize if you see it that way.

When things eat loads they get fat, people are feeding the troll, troll gets fat (see picture).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I'm sort of in two minds about the whole thing tbh. I like playing games, but I look at it the same way I look at a bar of chocolate. It offers fleeting pleasure with no real benefits.

That said, most of the games I play are those monstrously complicated 300 hour japanese things that yer man mentioned on the show, so they wouldn't train hand-eye coordination the same way a sports or FPS title would.

I dunno, maybe I'm just playing the wrong games :confused:

I do think that games will one day become something of a proper art form. The closest I think I've seen so far is probably Mass Effect 2. At parts I thought that gaming had finally gotten its own 2001 or Bladerunner. But at the midpoint of the game (which I haven't passed yet) it just degenerated into a dumb shoot-em-up.

Everyone says its amazing so I should give it another go maybe.

A former flat mate of mine used to come home from work and literally go straight to his seat in the living room and start gaming. This would happen every night, right up until he would go to bed late at night. The only thing he ate was a small cheese tesco pizza, every night. This was because it was easy to prepare meaning his gaming time wasn't impacted. His social skills were non-existent. Can you imagine the state of the human race if we all did this. Where would the progression be? I'd much prefer to spend all that effort in something real. Something that makes a difference to the universe we inhabit. That's all I'm saying.

A former flat mate of mine used to come home from work and literally go straight to his seat in the living room and start gaming. This would happen every night, right up until he would go to bed late at night. The only thing he ate was a small cheese tesco pizza, every night. This was because it was easy to prepare meaning his gaming time wasn't impacted. His social skills were non-existent. Can you imagine the state of the human race if we all did this. Where would the progression be? I'd much prefer to spend all that effort in something real. Something that makes a difference to the universe we inhabit. That's all I'm saying.

That's very narrow minded of you to base your opinion of it on one person then!

chin_grin wrote: »
    That's very narrow minded of you to base your opinion of it on one person then!

I have many examples.

I'm sort of in two minds about the whole thing tbh. I like playing games, but I look at it the same way I look at a bar of chocolate. It offers fleeting pleasure with no real benefits.

That said, most of the games I play are those monstrously complicated 300 hour japanese things that yer man mentioned on the show, so they wouldn't train hand-eye coordination the same way a sports or FPS title would.

I dunno, maybe I'm just playing the wrong games :confused:

Most people don't play games to train their hand eye coordination though. It's argued that some games can improve it, which i've no idea if it's true or not to be honest. People play games because they're enjoyable. Whether it's the social aspect of online gaming, the narrative aspect on single player games, or just the simple gameplay offered, in wide range of genres, games are fun.

As i said in the last post, saying that games are only for kids just reeks of ignorance.
    I have many examples.
    I'm sure you do have many examples. There are people that get extremely addicted to games, and they definitely affect their social lives/physical health. But these are the extreme cases. The vast majority of us lead healthy(ish) lives while still enjoying games.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

you claim to be a man of science, yet all you do is give anecdotes and state generalizations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

sounds like he was depressed , probably due to his surroundings :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A few lads got together, formed Boyzone and went on to make some of the most annoying crappy music in existence.

Therfore all music must be crappy any annoying.

o1s1n wrote: »
    A few lads got together, formed Boyzone and went on to make some of the most annoying crappy music in existence.

Therfore all music must be crappy any annoying.

At least they made a difference in the universe we inhabit :pac:

Kiith wrote: »

As i said in the last post, saying that games are only for kids just reeks of ignorance.

I'm not being arrogant. I said at the beginning I often wonder about people who don't grow out of gaming. Maybe I phrased it incorrectly. I wanted to voice my opinion to the gaming community to get their opinions. To learn something. I am ignorant of the area, I admit. Of course I, I don't play. I just wanted to see what gamers thought of my opinion and see if at the end of this my opinion would change so that if I hear people slagging gamers I can defend them because I'd be in the know. But I just get called a troll. Maybe boards.ie was the wrong place to come for information. I just couldn't think of anywhere else.

I have many examples.

Then you're unlucky to know so many people that live like this.

I know one person who is like you described, sits in his room, plays PC all day/night, only ever eats quick-meals etc. Its sad really. But I dont base my opinion of games on just one person.

I know loads of people who do nothing in the evenings except watch tv. But I don't go around slamming TV saying that its stupid like you do with games.

Then I look at all my other mates, who love nothing more than getting together on a weeknight, playing some xbox/ps3 and having a laugh. Games make you socially akward my hole....

I said at the beginning I often wonder about people who don't grow out of gaming. Maybe I phrased it incorrectly. I wanted to voice my opinion to the gaming community to get their opinions. To learn something. I am ignorant of the area, I admit. Of course I, I don't play. I just wanted to see what gamers thought of my opinion and see if at the end of this my opinion would change so that if I hear people slagging gamers I can defend them because I'd be in the know. But I just get called a troll. Maybe boards.ie was the wrong place to come for information. I just couldn't think of anywhere else.

So why didn't you say this at the start then?

Master of the Universe

Kiith wrote: »
    At least they made a difference in the universe we inhabit :pac:

When I play Sonic, I make a difference in the universe he inhabits. Think of all those poor little creatures which would be stuck in horrible metal machines if I didn't help them out. I'm a savior so I am. I deserve awards.

I'm not being arrogant. I said at the beginning I often wonder about people who don't grow out of gaming. Maybe I phrased it incorrectly. I wanted to voice my opinion to the gaming community to get their opinions. To learn something. I am ignorant of the area, I admit. Of course I, I don't play. I just wanted to see what gamers thought of my opinion and see if at the end of this my opinion would change so that if I hear people slagging gamers I can defend them because I'd be in the know. But I just get called a troll. Maybe boards.ie was the wrong place to come for information. I just couldn't think of anywhere else.

I'd honestly have no problem with someone saying they don't understand gaming. I've plently of friends who don't get it. But the way you made the first few posts seemed more like a troll post, as you came into the Games forum and said that only kids play games. It's understandable that most of us didnt really agree with it.

As for why we don't grow out of it, it's because we don't stop enjoying them. There are plenty of games designed for adults, but even games made for all ages are still fun. Mario doesnt stop getting fun when you turn 18. You should give it a go...you might be surprised :)

Ok, I've come to my final conclusion.

Master of the Universe

Ok, I've come to my final conclusion.

I've been playing videogames for over 20 years and I'll still far off a conclusion which would sum it all up.

The only thing you could conclude right now is that people who enjoy playing videogames don't really enjoy people making generalizations about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

I have many examples.

Of 'former flat mates'? Yeah, I bet you do!

If you are genuinly seeking informative responses two items for you to bear in mind:

1. Try not to disrespect those whom you seek your information from, particularly when they know so much about the topic you wish to understand. Your opening posts did not achieve this. You are in the correct forum to get good answers, but understand good answers require good questions.
    2. You want to know about games, go play them. Only then will you be able to form an opinion. There is no substitute. If this does not appeal to you it is obvious you wish to become a 'know it all', rather than an informed individual.

Please start a post seeking game recommendations for a start up gamer who wishes to expand their knowledge base through experience. Lots of knowledgeable posters here will assist you.

BTW FYI - sex is GREAT!!! Just take my word for it!:)

BTW addon - people can grow into games, not grow out of them. Actually, as people mature they usually grow out of asking 'why is the sky blue' type questions. Adulthood generally means you can attempt to seek the answers for yourself through experience, rather than asking Mammy and Daddy.

So in conclusion: Tesco cheese pizza- BAD; gaming - GOOD!

Advertisement