Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Hook on why he hates gaming !

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

mrm i completely disagree!!!!!

Tesco cheese pizza is f*cking awesome!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Now you are all taking the piss out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Ok, I've come to my final conclusion.

The suspense is killing me!!! Killing meeeeeeee!!!!!!

Suspense%20Is%20Killing%20Me.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

sheehy83 wrote: »
    mrm i completely disagree!!!!!

Tesco cheese pizza is f*cking awesome!!!!

Oh great! Another F*cking Troll.

Dear Sheehy83,

While I have never tasted a Tesco cheese pizza, I have sought the opinion of complete strangers and hence have come to my conclusion that they are not yum yum. Therefore; Scientific Fact!

yours cordially,

mrm

(please psn come back, I'm bored)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Nollog

Kiith wrote: »
    This isnt a fault of the games/movie industry, it's the fault of the shops selling them and the kids parents buying them for their kids.

My point.
    Also my point that 13% is LOWER than 33, 39, or 40-something% yet movies don't get ragged on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Now you are all taking the piss out of me.

Only slightly, and we don't mean any harm. We're quite a sarcastic bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

My conclusion is that gamers are one of the most misunderstood groups in the world. They can be quite defensive of their field, as if they are sick of people slagging gaming without knowing the ins and outs of it. Not all of them are addicted to their past time and sit in their rooms all day, they lead full and fruitful lives. They are passionate about their hobby and in my opinion are superior to those whose only hobby is slagging other peoples hobbies.

Thanks.

1238993754704.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

This ongoing discussion is similar to one I've been having in work with a colleague of mine. She finds games 'frustrating' and online interactions of any sort 'creepy'. Her past experience with games appear to be a brief stint playing Pac-Man and Duke Nukem.

And so I showed her the following two trailers. I thought that the historical setting of Assassin's Creed and the charming appeal of a Team Ico game would be interesting examples.

She had absolutely no idea that games had evolved to this extent and she then became more respectful of the hobby. She still doesn't understand how I can sit and play a game for 2 hours at a time, and yet she watches Fair City and X Factor etc for hours at a time every other night.

It does bother me when people think games are childish or stereotype you because you play games - but in another way it also kind of makes me sad. There are so many wonderful experiences to be had in playing games, and so many people will perhaps never experience that. These people may never play Portal or a deep multi-path RPG, and I suppose it's not entirely their fault, gaming is kind of an intimidating form of entertainment and art.

Now let's all enjoy this nice screenshot from Shadow of the Colossus.
    156939.jpg
    Photo credit: www.electricblueskies.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

GothPunk wrote: »
    This ongoing discussion is similar to one I've been having in work with a colleague of mine. She finds games 'frustrating' and online interactions of any sort 'creepy'. Her past experience with games appear to be a brief stint playing Pac-Man and Duke Nukem.

And so I showed her the following two trailers. I thought that the historical setting of Assassin's Creed and the charming appeal of a Team Ico game would be interesting examples.

She had absolutely no idea that games had evolved to this extent and she then became more respectful of the hobby. She still doesn't understand how I can sit and play a game for 2 hours at a time, and yet she watches Fair City and X Factor etc for hours at a time every other night.

It does bother me when people think games are childish or stereotype you because you play games - but in another way it also kind of makes me sad. There are so many wonderful experiences to be had in playing games, and so many people will perhaps never experience that. These people may never play Portal or a deep multi-path RPG, and I suppose it's not entirely their fault, gaming is kind of an intimidating form of entertainment and art.

Now let's all enjoy this nice screenshot from Shadow of the Colossus

And people say games aren't art!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This discussion between you guys and IamtheWalrus is providing me with more entertainment than George Hook's show could've been yesterday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What's this about Tesco's cheese pizza?

That_Guy wrote: »
    What's this about Tesco's cheese pizza?

Well for a start it's daycent! 2 euro, sometimes 1.70. Has more cheese than bigger brand pizzas like Goodfellas. They could do with a higher quality sauce but its still okay. The base gets lovely and crispy.

I will conclude by saying it is cheap, tasty and goes perfect with gaming (if you gotta few napkins) and a can of coke (the proper stuff)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Give me a Chicago Town Chicken Pizza with some Diet Coke anyday...

I prefer the taste!

I prefer the taste!

Posh weight watching bastard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I prefer the taste!

guEbd2

Dr Oetker Pizza Pollo and a can of Pepsi...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Duggy747 wrote: »
    This discussion between you guys and IamtheWalrus is providing me with more entertainment than George Hook's show could've been yesterday :pac:

I was looking forward to posting this joke myself. You can imagine my disappointment when realised that you got there first :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

At least they made a difference in the universe we inhabit :pac:

So did Hitler.

So did Hitler.

And why did Hitler go mental?? Cuz he's veggie pizza arrived cold

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShdsLyutIJjZAO7cgH3zrORxoN8Lwyy2Nxt7DSYldRVvX054AA&t=1

PS. hitler_pizza.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

That's gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That's gas.

For pure timing, Bra-****ing-vo.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

A former flat mate of mine used to come home from work and literally go straight to his seat in the living room and start reading. This would happen every night, right up until he would go to bed late at night. The only thing he ate was a small cheese tesco pizza, every night. This was because it was easy to prepare meaning his reading time wasn't impacted. His social skills were non-existent. Can you imagine the state of the human race if we all did this. Where would the progression be? I'd much prefer to spend all that effort in something real. Something that makes a difference to the universe we inhabit. That's all I'm saying.
    Read the changes I made. Is this any better or worse than what you said? Is moderate gaming worse than moderate reading? Is obsessive gaming worse than obsessive reading?

I consider myself a gamer but I spend more time reading every day than I do gaming. Playing video games does not mean obsessively playing video games. It is no different to any other hobby. You can do it a healthy amount or you can go overboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

OK there's too much 'bravado' in this thread for me to sift through. How did the interview go? Anyone got a link?

I really hope it went well, that the representative was able to dispel common myths and stereotypes and talk up gaming as an artform. I imagine those ignorant to the medium think gaming is either still 'Pong' or Call of Duty multiplayer. (re:my family and non-gamer friends)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Korvanica wrote: »

Dr Oetker Pizza

Wax. On. Stale. Bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

A pixar movie is something that comes along maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Adults go along and watch them because they are a bit of light hearted fun. Gamers don't just play games once in a while. They spend hours, consecutive hours, gaming, putting real effort into it. There's a difference is there not?

Not really, its their lesiure time they can spend it how they feel, whether its watching the entire pixar back catalogue, reading lord of the rings, playing a game or jumping up and down on their bed. People do what they like, as long as it doesn't affect work, family and become an addiction its no worse.

In fact I'd say the majority of husbands and wives would rather their other half was at home playing Alex the Kidd (great game btw) with or without their kids during happy hour on a friday evening than hitting the pub after work. Theres no difference playing the same game 2 hours a night for a week than watching a movie every night.

People can relax and let off steam however they like. Its not childish its fun. I enjoy reading, I play football, play music and probably spend more time gaming than i do at any of those. Myself and my missus enjoy a game of tiger woods, or lately co-op on Portal. Its just as credible a pass time and can be lots of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've often wondered about people who don't eventually grow out of gaming.

What about people who don't grow out of watching TV, playing golf/soccer? It's a past time that provides entertainment, even more so when accompanied by friends.
    What do you get out of it, as an adult?

Why does it have to be as an adult? The experience doesn't change depending on what age you are.
    But it's not real.

That's why people like it. They can be scoring goals as Robbie Keane in the World Cup and 5 minutes later be jumping through portals solving puzzles.
    I think people's time would be better served reading and understanding more important things like astronomy or evolution. You will get more return for your time spent.

Reading is great. I'm not going to do it every single spare minute I have though, just as I wouldn't with gaming.
    I have come to the conclusion the gaming community do not appreciate opposing opinions. In science, they are a fundamental part.

Gaming is a relatively new entertainment medium. You can be sure that people who watched TV religiously when it first came out where defensive about it too.
    I would put it in the same category as playing with teddy bears or barbie and ken. Just more technically advanced.

You are quite mislead as to how gaming works then.
    A pixar movie is something that comes along maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Adults go along and watch them because they are a bit of light hearted fun. Gamers don't just play games once in a while. They spend hours, consecutive hours, gaming, putting real effort into it. There's a difference is there not?

Some of the most popular long running shows on TV revolve around violence/death. This is what people want. Even simpler again, have you watched the news recently? The media would have us believe that the world is crumbling around us. Who wouldn't rather play games than watch that?!
    Science: Reading improves my communication skills and I learn lots of valuable things.

Reading improves what you're communicating, not how you communicate it. Don't mix book smarts with people skills, they're entirely different.
    Playing guitar on my one means I am at least learning something, an art, a craft. It provides a form of escapism for me.

Not everyone wants to come home from a long day at work and kick in to another few hours of intense learning. People enjoy having that level of escapism in gaming like you do with learning the guitar.
    Very good point. I'm not in favour of this rock band game at all. There are many musicians have hit out at that game. Why encourage people to play a computerized guitar when the real one is much better. I don't want future generations being experts at that game.

It might give people an interest in music? Or it may be that they enjoy playing the game? Are professional soccer players hitting out at people for playing FIFA?
    A former flat mate of mine used to come home from work and literally go straight to his seat in the living room and start gaming. This would happen every night, right up until he would go to bed late at night. The only thing he ate was a small cheese tesco pizza, every night. This was because it was easy to prepare meaning his gaming time wasn't impacted. His social skills were non-existent. Can you imagine the state of the human race if we all did this. Where would the progression be? I'd much prefer to spend all that effort in something real. Something that makes a difference to the universe we inhabit. That's all I'm saying.

Could you imagine the state of society if everyone learned the guitar? I'd go on a guitar smashing rampage as I couldn't deal with all the noise.

If you're going to form an opinion without actually getting involved with the community (outside of this forum) than you're going to have serious misconceptions as to how gaming effects peoples lives. If you take some of the events that people run for gamers, they're learning networking (both technology and social aspects), event management, marketing and sales. All because they get enjoyment from a game and want to spread it to others.

Advertisement