Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Bay and Irish Delivery Rates

Options
  • 27-04-2011 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Just looking for Rw-Dvd's 50 pack+ on E-bay as amazon wont ship them to ireland. Most Irish sellers on e-bay charge 5-6 Euro delivery. UK sellers charge Standard Royal Mail small Package Rate which is 2 Euro.? 2 Euro to ship from UK to Ire. 6 Euro to ship from Waterford to Wexford. These aint people selling items cheap and recouping it on delivery, its actual shops which aint selling items that cheap in the first place. Is this pure greed or are Irish postal rates for packages unbelievably high ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

like everything online ...if you don't like the price ...dont buy !!

Try comparing the online price versus the price in your local shop (no shipping costs) ...see which is cheaper.

Irish sellers are probably also hit with increased import costs than the UK counterparts....so pass on the costs to the purchaser....you !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

They are very high. In fact, out of my 300 odd ebay purchases I can only ever recall getting 1 thing from Ireland, always available cheaper from the UK/Europe. I dont even bother going on ebay.ie.... .co.uk FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I find Irish postal rates high. When I sell something on ebay, it costs only slightly more to send something to the Ukraine than Cork. But then I don't pad out the P&P to generate a little extra profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

After the recent 10-15% increase in Royal Mail rates, postal rates in Ireland are cheaper than those in uk when the same service is compared.

Unfortunately we don't have a international surface option or a 2nd class (3day) national option. But when airmail rates are compared, Irish rates are cheaper.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'm amazed that you found a UK seller willing to charge so little.

My experience is that most UK sellers see any postage outside of the UK as a licence to print money (of course so many of them think that non-UK is the same as posting to the antarctic).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I buy quite a bit of stuff from the UK on Ebay and have found UK sellers quite reasonable. Recently had 2 large boxes shipped for around £10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

A bit off-topic, but I often wondered why the Irish government didn't subsidise the postal system to reduce prices.

You can buy stuff from China, and postage seems to cost almost nothing. E.g. Dealextreme etc. Cheap postage for them must create a booming export market. And maybe tax revenues too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Finally found a decent price and delivery and when paying from card linked to paypal as there wasnt enough in account they try to charge me conversion fees by taking the money from card in sterling and converting it back to euro :( ya cant win. If the seller dont rob ya the middleman will. Postman will probably burgle the house at this rate.

animaal wrote: »
    A bit off-topic, but I often wondered why the Irish government didn't subsidise the postal system to reduce prices.

You can buy stuff from China, and postage seems to cost almost nothing. E.g. Dealextreme etc. Cheap postage for them must create a booming export market. And maybe tax revenues too?

Good point, if Ireland is planning on growing out of this mess through exports then it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

When I buy stuff on ebay I expect to be ripped of on P&P, its par for the course. I usually save on the purchase price of the item. I mainly buy from the uk but it is never the true cost on P&P

• Advertisement

Mits wrote: »
    When I buy stuff on ebay I expect to be ripped of on P&P, its par for the course. I usually save on the purchase price of the item. I mainly buy from the uk but it is never the true cost on P&P

Yeah but when the purchase price of the item isnt that cheap and the delivery cost is outrageous and your forced to buy from UK or elsewhere ya have to ask. Why are Irish sellers so expensive. As far as I can figure out the answer is greed. Like ya said you expect a certain amount of padding on the delivery but 6 euro on a 20 Euro item being shipped from dublin to wexford is ridiculous. And it wasnt just one seller it was all Irish sellers selling this item.If amazon shipped all products to Ireland 99% of Irish online retailers would be out of business in a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

via ebay from Texas, $4 delivery in 3 days! incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Skunkle wrote: »
    Yeah but when the purchase price of the item isnt that cheap and the delivery cost is outrageous and your forced to buy from UK or elsewhere ya have to ask. Why are Irish sellers so expensive. As far as I can figure out the answer is greed profit. Like ya said you expect a certain amount of padding on the delivery but 6 euro on a 20 Euro item being shipped from dublin to wexford is ridiculous. And it wasnt just one seller it was all Irish sellers selling this item.If amazon shipped all products to Ireland 99% of Irish online retailers would be out of business in a week.

Fixed that for you.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Skunkle wrote: »
    Just looking for Rw-Dvd's 50 pack+ on E-bay as amazon wont ship them to ireland. Most Irish sellers on e-bay charge 5-6 Euro delivery. UK sellers charge Standard Royal Mail small Package Rate which is 2 Euro.? 2 Euro to ship from UK to Ire. 6 Euro to ship from Waterford to Wexford. These aint people selling items cheap and recouping it on delivery, its actual shops which aint selling items that cheap in the first place. Is this pure greed or are Irish postal rates for packages unbelievably high ?

If they are actual registered businesses in Ireland then the shipping charge to you must have VAT added onto it / incorporated within it. An Post rates don't include VAT so for example a 500g - 999g packet sent through An Post costs €3.85 to the retailer but they need to charge you €4.66 plus the cost of the packaging making a €5.00 - €6.00 postal charge accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭upinthesky

the postage prices are right!!

I sell allot on eBay and the price to post here is a disgrace i was charged 2.50 to send a dvd how light is a dvd it would only cost 1 euro to send it from the uk to ireland
    i also sent a small package 7.20 for it what a rip off considering i sent a 7kg box with citypost they collected it and delivered it for 11.99 gret

what i do now is just put stamps on like now i send a dvd for 95c

also you have to take into acount the packaging costs and post

my point is they are not ripping you off on post are :rolleyes:

heres a link to my ebay see my postage prices!
    http://shop.ebay.ie/bargainbabes816/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

what everyone needs to do is download the An Post charges sheet and get familiar with sizes & weights. - It will take a few minutes of your time to understand them fully.

Then buy a digital scales. (Lidl have them now and again for about €6)

Then when you know what you are sending, go to the post office every couple of weeks and buy a range of stamps such as 95c, 1.35, 2.20, 2.70, 3.00 & 3.85. - Stamps of any denomination can now be bought at most post offices.

The cheapest package is approx the size of a sheet of paper and 25mm thick. - this is the international large envelope and is used by Royal Mail as well as nearly every other mail system.

So a lightweight DVD in a DVD case or CD or Nintendo game will cost €1.35 to post anywhere in Ireland (up to 250g), and €3.00 for everywhere else in the world. - If it weighs under 100g, then it will only cost 95c in Irealnd and €1.50 everywhere else.

So get to know your sizes and weight and do it yourself.

lisar816 wrote: »
    the postage prices are right!!

I sell allot on eBay and the price to post here is a disgrace i was charged 2.50 to send a dvd how light is a dvd it would only cost 1 euro to send it from the uk to ireland
    i also sent a small package 7.20 for it what a rip off considering i sent a 7kg box with citypost they collected it and delivered it for 11.99 gret

what i do now is just put stamps on like now i send a dvd for 95c

also you have to take into acount the packaging costs and post

my point is they are not ripping you off on post are :rolleyes:

heres a link to my ebay see my postage prices!
    http://shop.ebay.ie/bargainbabes816/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Reports to an post.

Reports to an post.

Why?

A dvd in a standard slim case with quality a5 envelope weighs in at 96g

It is 4mm thick.

This is classified as standard envelope (up to C5 size, up to 5mm thick)

The correct 100g rate as per an post website for posting this is 95c for Ireland and €1.50 for rest of the world.

It was the post office he was using that was ripping him off not An Post themselves. - He is now paying the correct An Post rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭upinthesky

i think he might mean that he is reporting on post for ridiculously high prices that sounds more realistic

iv asked in the post office they said its no problem putting stamps on just weigh your items and post them yourself

its not like im putting a big tv in the post box lol!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MugenSi

I have made 1000+ purchases on ebay since 1998, i have never bought one single item from an irish seller for the very reason that in general Irish sellers have the highest prices and high postage costs. In 99% of cases the same product can be bought from elsewhere for considerably less than what it can be bought here for. Ireland in general is a rip off nation, i couldnt care less about supporting irish industry/products any longer because the sellers/manufacturers couldnt care less about the irish people and greed and obscene profits are all theyre interested in.

• Advertisement

MugenSi wrote: »
    I have made 1000+ purchases on ebay since 1998, i have never bought one single item from an irish seller for the very reason that in general Irish sellers have the highest prices and high postage costs. In 99% of cases the same product can be bought from elsewhere for considerably less than what it can be bought here for. Ireland in general is a rip off nation, i couldnt care less about supporting irish industry/products any longer because the sellers/manufacturers couldnt care less about the irish people and greed and obscene profits are all theyre interested in.

You see, the problem is we're an island country of 4.5million people (that's about the size of greater birmingham), so when you're servicing a market that small, you simply don't have economies of scale.

You can't do a deal with the post office cos you're too small, you can't get mega quantity discounts from the suppliers because you're too small, - its not a rip-off, its the result of being in a relatively sparsely populated island off the coast of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

maxer68 wrote: »
    MugenSi wrote: »

You see, the problem is we're an island country of 4.5million people (that's about the size of greater birmingham), so when you're servicing a market that small, you simply don't have economies of scale.

You can't do a deal with the post office cos you're too small, you can't get mega quantity discounts from the suppliers because you're too small, - its not a rip-off, its the result of being in a relatively sparsely populated island off the coast of Europe.

That's not really correct
    This came up with the price of goods by uk shops selling in Eire being over priced compaired to same shop and goods in uk

Size of economy was give as reason
    So a direct comparison was drawn with N.I. It proved we are getting ripped off when this was put to the big retailers their reply on RTE was it is what the market will bear. In otherwords if your foolish enough to buy it at higher price they take your money !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

On ebay overall price is what counts. I think postage costs do not incur ebay fees for the seller so often the item is cheap and postage is high to avoid fees e.g. the seller will pay more fees to sell an item for ....

12 quid with free P&P incomparison to
    4 quid with 8 quid P&P.

At least i think that.

Advertisement