Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downlighter repeatedly blowing???

• 27-04-2011 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all, I installed new downlighters in a converted attic. Four are in the main room and run through a dimmer. No problem with these. The other two are in the landing and are on two way swiches at each end of the stairs. One of these lights has blown 3 transformers. Each took about a week to 2 weeks to do this. I then replaced it with a GU10 lamp. This has also blown after 2 weeks. There is insulation up there but I left space for cooling. Altogether the 6 lights are on one circuit and there is a smoke alarm on it aswell. From what I can see steam or condensation is not a factor, insulation is not a factor. I used robus trafos. The attic is hardly used. The other 5 lamps and trafos haven't given a problem. I'm at a loss with this one. Any crazy suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

dunno how you can be 'blowing' all those robus trafos

they're supposed to be quality with overload/short-circuit and thermal protection

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I have seen this happen with the low voltage transformers when they are put into an attic space with a slope in the ceiling . They roll or move slightly into the insulation when you are putting back the lamp fitting then trip out on overload because they are too hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

maybe the trafos were covered with thermal insulation then

assuming there's a trafo per light and no faults

not much of that nonsense now with gu-10 led

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 HarryDog

Thanks for replies. They all have their own trafo's. I pushed the insulation out of the way when the first one went. I agree with putting in a gu10 led but think there must be some reason for this. We all get bad trafo's or lamps from time to time but this is taking the p**s.

Advertisement