Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flats or Drops

• 27-04-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I'm in the process of choosing a new bike and need a bit of help deciding whether to go for drops or flat handlebars. Budget ~€1000. I'll be using the bike for:
    • Commuting to work in and out of Dublin city centre (~25k return)
    • The odd weekend trip around the country, 2/3 days of 100k each
    • The odd day trip up the Dublin/Wicklow mountains
    • My first sprint triathalon this summer - not looking to set any record times but would push myself hard
    I've been around the shops and tried different bikes and at the minute my head is telling me to go with the Giant Rapid 2 as it felt the most comfortable and I feel it would be more practicle & safer for the commuting. I also tried several drop bars of which I felt best on the Cube Aerial and Peloton. I've never had a proper road bike before, I've always used an mtb bike so I feel alot more stable on the Rapid but I'm worried that I'll regret not going for drops after a few months. After a lifetime on flat barred bikes it's hard to properly evaluate a dropped handle barred road bike during a 5 minute test ride.

Any advice would be appreciated, esp from anyone who has already made a similar decision.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Drops. End discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Flats. End discussion

...just to be argumentative, really I agree with Raam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Flops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DrJakoby wrote: »
    After a lifetime on flat barred bikes it's hard to properly evaluate a dropped handle barred road bike during a 5 minute test ride.

It would be easy if that five minutes involved going up and down a big hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Drops.

Bought a flat bar, then bought a drop bar and immediately realised I should never have bought the flat bar in the first place. The drops give you more options for hand position etc

• Advertisement

snip -I'm an idiot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Drops.

A quick search of the forum will turn up several threads where people have gone bought a FBR/hybrid/whatever despite recommendations of going for a road bike and subsequently discover over the following months that they like cycling, would like to do more of it and want to convert the bike to drops only to find out the cost is steep, particularly the brake-shifter units, and the geometry of the resulting bike will often not be exactly right.

Buy the right bike first time around, given what you want to do a road bike is the correct option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Probably I'm the first person to reply who actually uses flats day to day.

Commuting. I prefer flats, they encourage you to keep your head up. You can do this on drops as well of course but I prefer flats.

Long distances at the weekends. Drops have more flexibility and I've had numb hands from not changing grip often enough on my flat bars (although padded gloves fixed this). It's perfectly possible to go long distances using flats but I'd prefer drops.

At the moment it's pretty much a wash but you mention you want to do some racing as well so it looks like you really want drops you just need someone to give you a push. =)

Just to note, I'm currently cycling around 200k a week on flat bars which includes some hills. I don't race though. If I did I'd almost certainly change to flats (or buy a third bike).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DrJakoby

Thanks for all the advice.

Any racing I do is going to be really for fun, competing against myself.

If I did go for the drops I was thinging of putting on some cyclocross style brake levers on the handlebars to allow a more upright position in city traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I was thinging of putting on some cyclocross style brake levers on the handlebars to allow a more upright position in city traffic.

You don't need them. Honestly.

• Advertisement

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Probably I'm the first person to reply who actually uses flats day to day.

I do as well, my commuting bike has flat bars, but I'd not do any serious distance on it, and if I only had one bike, it'd have drops

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DrJakoby

I do as well, my commuting bike has flat bars, but I'd not do any serious distance on it, and if I only had one bike, it'd have drops

Idealy I'd get several bikes but with city living space is at premium so it's just going to be the one. Leaning towards the drops now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I was a flat bar owner once. And so were many others who have since converted the flats to drops (which is more expensive than it first appears) or bought a new bike with drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

If I did go for the drops I was thinging of putting on some cyclocross style brake levers on the handlebars to allow a more upright position in city traffic.

I did this when I first made the leap from flat to drops and it certainly helped initially. However, once I find the right levers (old super record) I'll probably go the whole hog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You may just need to accept that whilst a proper bike may initially feel weird and uncomfortable, you'll eventually be happier on it.

I don't currently own any flat bar bikes (and haven't since I stuck Ultegra on my steel hybrid in the early nineties), but I do regularly ride Dublin Bikes.

IMO, there is a strong case for an upright position in an "around town" bike. I find it quite uncomfortable to ride a road bike in smart clothes or even jeans, so when I'm riding my own bike I always cycle in lycra or fakenger gear. If I had to cycle round dressed like a normal person I'd get a proper town bike with flat bars, flat pedals, mudguards, chainguard etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Raam wrote: »
    You don't need them. Honestly.
    My commuter came with auxiliary cross levers and I thought I would take them off but ended up finding them very handy for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

blorg wrote: »
    My commuter came with auxiliary cross levers and I thought I would take them off but ended up finding them very handy for commuting.

My bike also came with these and i find them really handy for everyday use.:)

Advertisement