Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When bringing dogs on hol...

• 27-04-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

...what's the best option...book pet-friendly accommodation, rent a cottage or camp out?

I know it's down to each individual dog but we've 3 collies all under a year and were gonna rent out a cottage in Ireland for a few days but they all seem to only let for min one week and it's really expensive.

So looking into camping now. My main concern would be where they would sleep. 5 of us wouldn't fit in the tent! I know I could leave one or two in car but I'd be worried about them all night (for their safety and incase they got scared/confused/lonely) and I guess the main pro of a cottage would be if we just wanted to chill out for a bit (not much chance with the 3 of them though haha!) the cottage would be the only option as I couldn't have them tied up all the time when we're not out and about doing stuff

OK I'm rambling a bit now but just wan to get some input/opinions/experience on this,
    thanks guys and gals:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

magentas wrote: »
    ...what's the best option...book pet-friendly accommodation, rent a cottage or camp out?

I know it's down to each individual dog but we've 3 collies all under a year and were gonna rent out a cottage in Ireland for a few days but they all seem to only let for min one week and it's really expensive.

So looking into camping now. My main concern would be where they would sleep. 5 of us wouldn't fit in the tent! I know I could leave one or two in car but I'd be worried about them all night (for their safety and incase they got scared/confused/lonely) and I guess the main pro of a cottage would be if we just wanted to chill out for a bit (not much chance with the 3 of them though haha!) the cottage would be the only option as I couldn't have them tied up all the time when we're not out and about doing stuff

OK I'm rambling a bit now but just wan to get some input/opinions/experience on this,
    thanks guys and gals:)

I would have thought, with the times that are in it, that you would be able to negotiate a deal for a few days with a cottage, I'm sure they'd be glad of any money, rather than have it sit empty, except maybe in the peak holiday season. So maybe if you find one that you like, just ask them how much it would be for however many days you want:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Agreed^^
    Most places are dying to let out their holiday homes so there's no harm in contacting them and enquiring how much for less than a week if that's what you want. Especially if it's maybe not a peak season/time you might get lucky.
    A lot of sites too btw, the minimum someone can choose when saying 'available for' is probably a week or a month so it might not be the case when you contact them.

As you say with a tent, you'd nearly want another tent for them! lol And if ye had to pop to a shop and couldn't bring them with, it'd be easier to leave them briefly in the holiday home instead of a tent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I booked a pet friendly cottage for a 5 day break last year Wed-Mon for a bank holiday weekend through www.imagineireland.com.
    No problem with not a full week or the usual Sat-Sat rule.
    Reasonable rates as well, got a 4 bed cottage with a couple of acres and a secure patio area for €370. There was 7 of us so it worked out really cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

we have done it a few different ways. in my experience recession or no recession they are reluctant to let for less than 1 week.

we stayed in a hotel and left the dogs over night in a local kennels where they were safe. we fed them morning and evening and had them out all day so really it was just a bed for the night as our accomodation would not allow them. It was actually good to have alittle "us" time too:)

next time we rented a cottage and kept them with us but it was difficult as the outside was not enclosed. so they had to be tied up outside or inside no other option really. not a huge deal but it was harder to relax.

next time we had them stay overnight in our room in a fab B&B. It was great except no "us" time. I was terrified to leave them in the room at breakfast in case they wrecked it:eek:. Also the people in the room next door came in late and our two heard them and of course assumed they were "breaking in":rolleyes:.......suffice to say I nearly had to be peeled off the ceiling the fright I got with the barking and the whole next day I was still shaking!! Nothing like being woken from your deep slumber with 2 GSD's on your bed defending against other guests, between them barking and me screaming with fright I'd say we'll be remembered:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Depending on how long you got before you go,another way is advertise what you want on line for the areas you want.You would be surprised who will pop up with offers.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

thanks for the replies everyone. I think renting a cottage is the way to go once we can afford it! Camping just won't work...or at least won't be enjoyable. It'd be grand with one dog I think but not three.

They'll be out and about with us 90% of the time but if we go for dinner or have a pint or two at night, I'd rather they were relaxing safe inside a house with space and comfort than stuck in a car or tied up outside (which I just wouldn't do anyway)

big thank you to borderlinemeath for the link, gonna have a look at it now.
    Cheers everyone!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

This has been a pain for me as well, just not enough options.

BF has booked us a night in Cork and we are going to a concert as well so are going to put them into kennels for one night, hotel doesnt allow dogs and wouldnt leave them there for so long anyway. Have found a hotel in Cahir that will let us have them there so just need to find a B&B/cheap hotel where we can have them with us for the last night in Kerry and we are sorted!

Any recommendations for kennels in/around Cork city or pet friendly accommodation in Kilarney?

Sorry to hijack:D

Advertisement