Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scopes

Options
  • 27-04-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Going to but a new scope, and have narowed it down to two, Hawke side winder, or a nikko sterling nighteater, but which has the better glass, going this week end to look at them, in the mean time if you have either let us know what you think of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I had 2 nighteaters and now I have just bought another 6-24x56. There are ok for the money and you won't be disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

jmcp,
    I am not trying to sound like a snob, especially since I have the Nighteater, however, these both seem like the lower end glass. They are cheap enough, won't break the bank, and get some glass on a rifle, but you could do better.

If you give us an idea what you are looking to do, maybe we could save you some money later on.

1) What caliber and rifle are you going to be shooting?
    2) Do you intend to hunt?
    3) What is the main purpose of the gun?
    4) Are you new to shooting?
    5) How much do you want to spend?

My Nighteater came with a Howa that I purchased and she seems fair enough.

However, for a few Euros, you could step up to a Nikon or Burris, which I recommend, or a Bushnell, with which I have no experience, however, many on the board will recommend.

If you are shooting big targets, like deer, all you really need is a 40mm bell, and 4x magnification. A 3-9 x 40mm is the standard.

Smaller targets will want bigger magnification and a bigger bell to gather light.

Again, if the budget is tight than the Nighteater is fine. Chances are you will want to move up to a bigger and better scope soon, so you may wish to consider a Burris or Nikon.

Advertisement